Home & Garden

Air conditioner: repair, replace, or maintain?

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2017 7:35 am
Tags:
Mar 23, 2006
668 posts
113 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 19th, 2017 1:11 pm
Which brands are premium?
Sorry, I did not write that properly. I meant to say if its not a premium brand then not as much of a big deal. Carrier and Lennox are premium brands.
Don't quote me, but I consider Carrier and Lennox comparable to Honda and Toyota. And just like Honda and Toyota, there is a sweet spot. Buying a Toyota Echo may not be the best sweet spot. This is just my two cents.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23016 posts
2020 upvotes
Aurora
fastmiele wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:48 pm
Don't quote me, but I consider Carrier and Lennox comparable to Honda and Toyota. And just like Honda and Toyota, there is a sweet spot. Buying a Toyota Echo may not be the best sweet spot. This is just my two cents.
What if I want a Mercedes? Not the B250, but a C class

I see that American Standard seems to come up near the top in reliability. Would that be a Volkswagen?
Mar 23, 2006
668 posts
113 upvotes
engineered wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:46 pm
If it needs a recharge that means it has a leak that needs to be fixed.
from what a HVAC technician told me, the coupling where the leak is coming from is hard to get a good proper seal.

Kind of sounds reasonable, like a water cartridge that is not proper fit/worn and you get small leaks.
Jul 19, 2014
946 posts
174 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Clean the evap and condenser coils , replace/or inspect filters , check the condenser fan lube if you can . run the ac if u see some ice building on the evap coil ,if so get the leak repaired and top up .
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4180 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa
For all you suggesting to simply recharge the refrigerant, on a 15yo unit which likely uses R-22, the price of R-22 has skyrocketed to ridiculous levels because production has been phased out. I spoke to a local contractor last fall who told me the cost of a 30 pound bottle was approaching $2000CAD, and my 2.5 ton R-22 system which just died used 8lbs of it, so I'd be looking at over $500 just to refill it, plus labour.

There is virtually no maintenance on central ACs since they are a sealed unit. The only thing the homeowner can do is keep leaves and debris out of the unit, and hose it off.

Replace the system. Yeah it's expensive, but there's no point in trying to repair anything that old.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel