Air Conditioning - Installed - Great Prices

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 9:25 am
Sep 2, 2003
616 posts
147 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Air Conditioning - Installed - Great Prices

After calling a few people for AC - Air conditioning units in the Toronto area I almost pulled the trigger until I saw a post from a fellow RFD'r who pointed in the right direction.

http://www.cozyworld.ca/goodman-air-con ... gsc13.html

He's got prices right on the webpage.

See my unit installed by CozyWorld - click below or goto page 9 POST#125

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... tcount=125
2109 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
who DID you call for prices?
Goodman (and Amana) have plenty of problems and are not recommended.
For comparison, I just installed American Standard unit (SEER 13, R-22, 3-tonn) for $2100 including tax.

Your "deal" is -35 cold.
Sep 2, 2003
616 posts
147 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hahaha -35C, it's great for people who are thinking of selling their house in the next while. I bet there are better systems out there ...

btw i had the 14SEER page linked - oppps, fixed.
Jan 12, 2007
198 posts
6 upvotes
I actually work for A/C company so let me give you guys some info...

Best A/C out there: American Standard/Trane (they are one company)

Carrier is OK but the compressor will quite on you maybe within 5 years. York is also a very good brand.

Amana, Colman, etc stay away..

Wanna buy an A/C go for a R-410A unit not R-22 (R-22 will be banned for commercial A/C in 2012..

SEER13 is the minimum you can get in Canada now, if you have extra cash then for sure go for SEER19 it pays for itself in 3 years.
Apr 23, 2008
27 posts
1 upvote
[quote="dlhunter" post_id="6746559" time="1209070268" user_id="102970"]who DID you call for prices?
For comparison, I just installed American Standard unit (SEER 13, R-22, 3-tonn) for $2100 including tax.
/QUOTE]

You must be an Am Stand dealer to start badmouthing Goodman. Compare warranties from Goodman and from Am Stand especially 14 SEER models.
Oct 18, 2007
829 posts
44 upvotes
dlhunter wrote: who DID you call for prices?

Your "deal" is -35 cold.
Considering this is a thread about A/C's isn't that a good thing?
Glory to Arstotzka
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1566 posts
4 upvotes
R. Hill
I have the Trane XR13 (along with a Trane XV90i furnace) and I can tell you, it's a fantastic product. It sits outside my bedroom window, so it's very important that it's quiet, and the Tranes are.

Btw, warranty specs:
Backed by Trane's industry-leading limited warranty

* Ten-Year Limited Warranty on compressors and outdoor coil
* Five-Year Limited Warranty on internal functional parts
* Optional Extended Warranties Available. Extended Warranties cover labor, refrigerant and other costs not covered by Manufacturer's Limited Warranty.
Nov 18, 2005
439 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have a KeepRite?
I called a guy who put up a sign on my street, $1400 installed for the 2 Ton KeepRite 13 SEER; I don't know the model number.

The price seems too good to be true, although he said it's only this price until April 30, but I don't know if I believe that either.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
PocketRockets wrote: Anyone have a KeepRite?
I called a guy who put up a sign on my street, $1400 installed for the 2 Ton KeepRite 13 SEER; I don't know the model number.

The price seems too good to be true, although he said it's only this price until April 30, but I don't know if I believe that either.
I have a similar unit around the same price installed for about 7 years. Not too loud, no problem so far.

Just make sure to keep the outside unit clean by lightly spray the fins and the compressor area with water.

I read it somewhere that if you installed a 2 ton A/C unit, you can decrease the time it takes to cool down the house by installing a 2.5 ton coil unit in the furnace.

Or something like that!
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Sep 2, 2003
616 posts
147 upvotes
Richmond Hill
elnady wrote: I actually work for A/C company so let me give you guys some info...

Carrier is OK but the compressor will quite on you maybe within 5 years. York is also a very good brand.

Amana, Colman, etc stay away..

Wanna buy an A/C go for a R-134 unit not R-22 (R-22 will be banned for commercial A/C in 2012..

SEER13 is the minimum you can get in Canada now, if you have extra cash then for sure go for SEER19 it pays for itself in 3 years.
I had another company quote me $1800 for a LUXAIRE, which is a YORK - 2.5 TON 13 SEER, debating between the two units.
Sep 2, 2003
616 posts
147 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PocketRockets wrote: Anyone have a KeepRite?

Pretty good price - get the info for us.
Jan 12, 2007
198 posts
6 upvotes
magicray wrote: I had another company quote me $1800 for a LUXAIRE, which is a YORK - 2.5 TON 13 SEER, debating between the two units.
Once again as I told you guys before I do work for an A/C company so no one should accuse me of trying to promote a product here LOL
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1247 posts
521 upvotes
Calgary
WOW...why is it so expensive in calgary?
I quoted about 5k for a Trane...my house is about 2200sq ft.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1896 posts
181 upvotes
frostiex wrote: WOW...why is it so expensive in calgary?
I quoted about 5k for a Trane...my house is about 2200sq ft.
I have Fagnan's here right now installing a Carrier Performance (4 ton) in my house in Calgary.

$4330+GST installed. They were quite a bit cheaper than any of the other installers. Friesen's, ARPI's, and Stein's all had higher prices. Based on my reading, Carrier was a decent brand. Friend's have had decent things to say about Fagnan's anecdotely.
Apr 23, 2008
27 posts
1 upvote
elnady wrote: I actually work for A/C company so let me give you guys some info...

Wanna buy an A/C go for a R-134 unit
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
R134 is used in car air conditioners, not in residential.
Nov 12, 2006
79 posts
1 upvote
American Standard/Trane are the top brands

Trane dealers in Ottawa:

EN Blue Heating and Air Conditioning www.enblue.com
Direct Energy
Francis HVAC (not sure of their address)
~Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part~
Apr 23, 2008
27 posts
1 upvote
fiiibra wrote: American Standard/Trane are the top brands
Top brand = Most Hyped brand

Carrier and Goodman use the same compressor made by Copeland. This is the best compressor in the industry. Trane (Am Stand) with their proprietary stuff is nowhere close to Copeland. But how many people know about Goodman? Meanwhile Goodman gives life time warranty on compressor. http://www.cozyworld.ca/goodman-air-con ... ssx14.html

Can Trane or even Carrier match it? Always follow the money. If the manufacturer believes in its product, it puts descent warranty behind it. As simple as that.
Jan 12, 2007
198 posts
6 upvotes
gm10 wrote: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
R134 is used in car air conditioners, not in residential.
Nope, R-134A are used in Cars, Residential A/C and chillers.

Here is the most commen type:

R-11 (Won't be able to use any chiller with R-11 as of 2012)
R-12 (banned now)
R-22 (banned as of 2010)
R-123 (no new equipment to be manufactured using R-123 as of 2030)
R-134A (no cars shall use them in the California as of 2012 and in some parts of Europe as of 2010)
R-407C
R-410A
Jan 12, 2007
198 posts
6 upvotes
gm10 wrote: Top brand = Most Hyped brand

Carrier and Goodman use the same compressor made by Copeland. This is the best compressor in the industry. Trane (Am Stand) with their proprietary stuff is nowhere close to Copeland. But how many people know about Goodman? Meanwhile Goodman gives life time warranty on compressor. http://www.cozyworld.ca/goodman-air-con ... ssx14.html

Can Trane or even Carrier match it? Always follow the money. If the manufacturer believes in its product, it puts descent warranty behind it. As simple as that.

Copeland is a great compressor but your A/C is not a compressor only... What type of Tx valve the A/C manufacturer use, type of unit controls, type of finns and at what FPM (Feet per minute) the face flow on the coil are (above 560 or below 560 FPM??) now look at the furance, what type of burner, again what type of controls, fan capacitors, etc etc etc..

Now having a life time warranty on compressor is a good thing but here is what it reads in the warranty info:

To the original owner and his or her spouse (“owner&#8221 ;) , the
COMPRESSOR is warranted for the owner’s LIFETIME or for so
long as the owner owns the home in which the unit was originally
installed (whichever ends first), and all remaining parts are
warranted for a period of 10 YEARS, except as provided below.
These warranties apply only if:
1) The unit is installed in an owner-occupied, single family
residence, and
2) For lifetime warranty coverage on the compressor, the unit is
installed with a new indoor coil or air handler to which it is
properly matched by the installer, and
3) The unit is properly registered with Goodman online within 60
days after the original installation. To register, follow the
instructions found at www.goodmanmfg.com.

So you do get life time material warranty,,, no labour warranty on the unit,, so lets do the math:

compressor avg. life: 30 years
Compressor cost (baed on 2 tons unit) $400 (you pay 800-1000 for it!)
labour cost,,, $60/hour (you pay $150/hour)
Avarge repair time on compressor 4 hours

so it will cost me $400 for a compressor and I will charge you 4hours of labour at $360 profit, pretty much it even out.. Then I will charge you for a new valve, new piping insulation, etc and this is where I make my money, and hey are you going to live 30 years in the same house??? you move, you lose the warranty!!!

I have been in this bussiness for 15 years.. Always look for LABOUR and material warranty, the more you get the better the unit is.

Edit... Please review this link:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appl ... /index.htm

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)