Home & Garden

Air Conditioning - Installed - Great Prices

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 9:25 am
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
Does anyone on here actually read the posts? Or do you just look for what you want to read and skim over the rest?
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
fedorov97 wrote: 1900 tax included.

It was installed by Convertible Air & It only took them 1.5 hrs to install.

I'm extremely satisfied.

You're extremely satisfied today...tomorrow is another story. Source a good air conditioning service company because you're most likely going to need them soon.
Jan 7, 2007
12 posts
Richmond Hill
Thanks to all RFD members. Learned quite a bit about AC/furnace.
I am in the market for AC and furnace, any Ontario RFD members checked out the government rebate program ?

Looks like quite a bit of trouble with the audit and all. Not sure if it really worths it.

Also heard that there is rebate from the local hydro company but not sure how it works.

I'd appreciate to hear your success story in getting some money back. Thanks.

Related information:
http://www.homeenergyontario.ca/

Rebate amount:
http://www.homeenergyontario.ca/pdfs/re ... nglish.pdf
Dec 6, 2005
53 posts
3 upvotes
This is so true. Most Air conditioner brands or furance are all alike. They all use universal parts so basically they work and operate the same but just the looks are different. Yes some models has more components but bottom line is its not the machines that matters. What really matters is the workmanship. I myself work as an a/c furnace technician. From experience, yes some companies can install units cheaper then others can but there are reasons why they are cheaper. They can cheap out on material, dont care bout the results and not installin it by code. So when lookin for somehting important as an ac or furnace, cheap isn;t always the greatest in the long runs. I have hurd many many stories which i would not go through about people paying companies that are cheap and then after havin to call the company i work for to check whats wrong due to they wont come back.
Ockham wrote: What about it?

For all the others requesting feedback on their quotes, the brand is the least important element of the job. A central air conditioning system is not a plug & play commodity item (i.e. big screen tv). You can't compare apples to apples based on the information you are providing. WHO is the quote from?

This will be a home renovation you are contracting someone to perform. Do they have insurance? TSSA certified? Licensed? A service department? Manufacturer training? A place of business? Are they local and accessible or from out of town? How long in business? References?

The "fly by night gang" will always be cheaper, but buyer beware, if it sounds too good to be true...guess what?

If you don't believe me, here's a link to Canadian Mortgage and Housing:

http://www.cmhc.ca/en/co/renoho/refash/refash_009.cfm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
Ockham wrote: What about it?[/url]
Looking for pricing, feedback and more info obviously.
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
Konowl wrote: Looking for pricing, feedback and more info obviously.
Pricing: Between two and ten thousand dollars for a typical home

Feedback: Ductless is standard everywhere else in the world. N.America only accounts for five percent of global sales

More Info: Source a local, reputable contracting business who installs Fujitsu or Mitsubishi and set up an in-home appointment
Feb 28, 2004
322 posts
55 upvotes
General question as I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the air conditioning in my place and who to call - ie don't want to call one person only to find they can't repair it especially since it costs just for someone to show up.

My townhouse (not detached) is about 3 years old with a Goodman air conditioning unit. No maintenance has been done for the past 2 years and I doubt for the 1st year. It has about 4 levels with the ground level being a lobby, garage, storage & where the furnace is. I've noticed that the 1st and 2nd levels are relatively cool but the 3rd and especially 4th & top levels are warm, even with the air conditioning cranked up. You can barely feel the air conditioning at the top level. So I know something is wrong. On the outside, the air conditioning unit seems to be working with nothing leaking. On the inside by the furnace, it seems to be leaking water.

Any idea what is the problem and who can fix it?
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
farlight wrote: General question as I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the air conditioning in my place and who to call - ie don't want to call one person only to find they can't repair it especially since it costs just for someone to show up.

My townhouse (not detached) is about 3 years old with a Goodman air conditioning unit. No maintenance has been done for the past 2 years and I doubt for the 1st year. It has about 4 levels with the ground level being a lobby, garage, storage & where the furnace is. I've noticed that the 1st and 2nd levels are relatively cool but the 3rd and especially 4th & top levels are warm, even with the air conditioning cranked up. You can barely feel the air conditioning at the top level. So I know something is wrong. On the outside, the air conditioning unit seems to be working with nothing leaking. On the inside by the furnace, it seems to be leaking water.

It doesn't sound like a manufacturer's defect. It could be a dirty filter or evaporator coil, or something else. If it's a design problem then installing a ductless air conditioner on the top level is an option to consider. Get some references from people in your neighbourhood or friends/family that have used a company that services your area.
Dec 6, 2005
53 posts
3 upvotes
well the water problem could be due to a pluged drain. Remove the pipe and blow in it. also clean out the fitting where its connected into the air conditioner. As for the uper levels, IT will always be hot up there. BEst thing you can do is try to close off all the basement registers, close some of the registers on the main floor. This will help push the cold air up into the top floors. Also a great idea is to turn on bathroom fans in the top floors to remove all the hot air. Another hting that can be done is vent the attic better, or install a ductless up there. On how days like this past week. Dont expect the temperature to be cold up stairs. Noones house will be cool if you got that many stories.
farlight wrote: General question as I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the air conditioning in my place and who to call - ie don't want to call one person only to find they can't repair it especially since it costs just for someone to show up.

Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto

Most of these "taller" homes would have that problem as someone said in another post close the lower vents so the air gets driven to the upper floors first then open the lower vents when the top floors have cooled adequately. (Remember cool air falls while hot air rises)

Other than change the unit to something more powerful? try that first also it's a good idea to have your ducts cleaned every 2 years.

That inside leak by the furnace should be condensation which is normal, as the AC is removing the humidty from the air...it should be coming out of a hose which is usually flowing out to your floor drain?

Oh and as that other poster hinted to, leave the furnace fan on to help keep the air flowing once the thermostat hits the required temperature range.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
pmc wrote: Other than change the unit to something more powerful? try that first also it's a good idea to have your ducts cleaned every 2 years.
Huh? Every two years? Try every ten. What would duct cleaning have to do with air flow in a stack town house?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
Ockham wrote: Huh? Every two years? Try every ten. What would duct cleaning have to do with air flow in a stack town house?
Keep Power vac busy?
Aug 9, 2001
874 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Call I used fowlerheating.ca 905-697-8777 - they work with goodman stuff... they did my goodman install a few weeks back...

Anyways, call them and tell them what's going on. Tell them that David (me) sent you to them - that will ensure they give you a good price. :-)

They're good honest people with a no BS attitude...

-----

DMPP
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
dmpP2 wrote: Tell them that David (me) sent you to them - that will ensure they give you a good price. :-)

They're good honest people with a no BS attitude...
So if you don't say David sent you, you won't get a good price?
Aug 9, 2001
874 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
nighthawk26 wrote: So if you don't say David sent you, you won't get a good price?
lol... you'll still get a good price.. but I've spoken to them and people that tell them that I sent them will get a better price.. :cheesygri
-----

DMPP
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
2167 posts
10 upvotes
Stratford, Ontario
I'm getting quotes now on furnace and airconditioning and need advice on whats a good brand,

The brands that I'm looking at are

Lenox
Carrier
Keepright
Goodman
Temstar

2ton a\c and aprox.70 btu furnace HE
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
Larsin wrote: I'm getting quotes now on furnace and airconditioning and need advice on whats a good brand,

The brands that I'm looking at are

Lenox
Carrier
Keepright
Goodman
Temstar

2ton a\c and aprox.70 btu furnace HE
Have you looked at York, Bryant, Rheem, Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Armstrong, Luxaire, Coleman, Comfortmaker, Trane, American Standard, EverRest, or Olsen?
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
2167 posts
10 upvotes
Stratford, Ontario
Ockham wrote: Have you looked at York, Bryant, Rheem, Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Armstrong, Luxaire, Coleman, Comfortmaker, Trane, American Standard, EverRest, or Olsen?
why ?

Can't look at everything
but if you can suggest one let me know
Aug 9, 2001
874 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Larsin wrote: why ?

Can't look at everything
but if you can suggest one let me know
Look at goodman - I had it installed by http://www.fowlerheating.ca get a quote from them... Tell them that I sent you (my name is David) and that you're a friend of mine looking for a good deal... they'll take care of you
-----

DMPP
Feb 28, 2004
322 posts
55 upvotes
Thanks for all the responses. I've replaced my air filter and cleaned my humidifier filter. I've even replaced my old 'el cheapo' manual thermostat with an electronic programmable Noma one. The condensation problem seems to still be around though so I will be calling a repair person.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)