• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2015 10:10 am
Mar 27, 2007
177 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thanks for your help.
The unit in question are,

- Coleman Echelon 9.C series furnace, (CP9C060B12MP2C - 60,000 Mbh, 97.5%)
- Coleman LX Series A/C (TCJF24S41S3, 14.5 SEER, 2 tons)

These are not Sears branded models, they are from Coleman and they look very similar to York units as well, in fact, my Google search shows that they are the exactly same unit as York Affinity 9.v series.

Anyway, of course, I'm not trying to defend Sears in any way, actually I don't really want to give them my business. However just like anyone else here I'm looking for cheap/reliable installer.
The Aire One guy did not mention anything about warranty being directly from York, they just said it's 10 years parts/labour with yearly maintenance of $120/yr which seems quite excessive.
Would you please let me know a good local GTA/Markham installer, if you know any? I've only heard great things about American Standard units, so possibly who can install those, or York. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1820 posts
123 upvotes
malmsteen wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 9:11 pm
Thanks for your help.

These are not Sears branded models, they are from Coleman and they look very similar to York units as well, in fact, my Google search shows that they are the exactly same unit as York Affinity 9.v series.

Anyway, of course, I'm not trying to defend Sears in any way, actually I don't really want to give them my business. However just like anyone else here I'm looking for cheap/reliable installer.
The Aire One guy did not mention anything about warranty being directly from York, they just said it's 10 years parts/labour with yearly maintenance of $120/yr which seems quite excessive.
Would you please let me know a good local GTA/Markham installer, if you know any? I've only heard great things about American Standard units, so possibly who can install those, or York. Thanks.
That maint. price is actually cheap, and required pretty much everywhere. Many manufacturers are CLEAR in the warranty paperwork if you don't do the maint you will have NO warranty. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they are flat out lying to you.

As for Aire One, I know we do that in Kitchener, and according to my boss it was something the owner of all the aire ones negotiated recently and was being offered at all offices. This is in the last few weeks anyways. I'd call back and confirm.

However, with the equipment you've listed. Yes it's the same as the other units from York. They are identical. modulating furnace, and a decent AC. I almost don't even believe the price. The GTA is outa control cheap. I have NO idea why so many of you complain out there. People out west and in Ottawa pay WAYYY more, and even just an hour west you'll be $1000+ at least more.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
2948 posts
69 upvotes
Markham
malmsteen wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 9:11 pm
Thanks for your help.

If you decide to go with American Standard then Spring Home seems to be the installer that a few members here strongly recommend.

For York, myself and wasserware both went with Alliance Energy. The consultant/owner (Alan) was a pleasure to work with.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
RETD wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 8:33 am
Well there you go again, now you're insulting everybody who owns a Hyundai/Kia.

Everything I've read lately indicates that in many aspects of quality, Hyundai/Kia are surpassing Honda/Toyota.

Once again you are only stating unfounded OPINION that is obviously not based on available data.

Sometimes it's helpful to keep an open mind.
You are coming here spreading FUD and misinformation and accusing me of not using available data? I guess your data comes from the flawed consumer reports review which holds no merit? The entire consumer report organization is desiged for layman who are incompetent of doing their own in-depth technical research on their own.

Hyundai/Kia are surpassing Honda/Toyota, that is maybe the most laughable statement I've read in a while. Get over the fact that the follow brands are POS, CRAP, ChEAP, whatever you call it - Goodman, Amana, Keeprite.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Dolfan-Neil wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 9:14 am
I've had my rant at him before, it's not worth wasting your keystrokes as again he is talking out of his arse. The fact that Hyundai and Kia are not what they used to be and are quickly moving up the chart doesn't matter to him. He's made up his mind and doesn't want to be confused by the facts.
They are moving up the ranks, sure but are still crap no matter how hard they try to spin it. Let me repeat myself again - Get over the fact that the follow brands are POS, CRAP, ChEAP, whatever you call it - Goodman, Amana, Keeprite.

By the way, I do keep an open mind out which is why I do not bash ALL BRANDS except York, I like Trane, American Standard, some Lennox and advises everyone else to stay away from teh crap 3 brands. There is nothing wrong with doing that but rather doing a HUGE FAVOR for homeowners and bringing business to dealers that sells reputable brands and provide excellent service.
Mar 21, 2006
477 posts
55 upvotes
Thornhill
wasserware wrote:
Jul 17th, 2010 10:31 pm
They are moving up the ranks, sure but are still crap no matter how hard they try to spin it. Let me repeat myself again - Get over the fact that the follow brands are POS, CRAP, ChEAP, whatever you call it - Goodman, Amana, Keeprite.

By the way, I do keep an open mind out which is why I do not bash ALL BRANDS except York, I like Trane, American Standard, some Lennox and advises everyone else to stay away from teh crap 3 brands. There is nothing wrong with doing that but rather doing a HUGE FAVOR for homeowners and bringing business to dealers that sells reputable brands and provide excellent service.
Not wasting any more keystrokes on your ability to consistently prove that your are a biased idjiot!
Dolfan
- The opinions stated above are mine personally and don't necessarily represent my employer in any way, shape or form.

Active BST Postings: None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Dolfan-Neil wrote:
Jul 18th, 2010 10:44 am
Not wasting any more keystrokes on your ability to consistently prove that your are a biased idjiot!
Likewise and I pity the homeowners who followed your "cheap" advice and end up with subpar quality products. Each to its own I guess.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1012 posts
206 upvotes
Oakville
torontodragon wrote:
Jul 8th, 2010 3:43 pm
Is $3000 tax in for a 3 tons 14 SEER Keeprite a good price?
wasserware wrote:
Jul 8th, 2010 10:42 pm
Welcome to the world of Rattlecan and crap quality and adding yourself to the hated neighbour list with that POS. My neighbour has one I am seriously thinking of telling the City of Markham about it so they force them to move that pOS to their backyard.
wasserware wrote:
Jul 14th, 2010 3:11 pm
With the close proximity of houses build, installing an AC on the side will almost always violate the bylaw unless you are installing the thin profile ductless AC. I said if my neighbor installed unit X that causes so much disturbance like a typical POS goodman/keeprite/amana, yes I will ask the city to enforce the bylaw. Thankfully the neighbor beside me has a fairly OK 14.5 SEER keeprite.
wasserware wrote:
So now Keeprite is a POS again.
Can you even be consistent?
Do you even remember what you wrote last week?

Keep going. The more you foam at the mouth, the more you erode any of what little credibility you may have and the more readers of this thread will take you for what you are - nothing but a shill.

Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1012 posts
206 upvotes
Oakville
wasserware wrote:
Jul 14th, 2010 1:12 pm
So you think I am actually somewhat related to the HVAC company that installed my AC or trying to say I am doing "stealth" marketing? If you think that way you just made a fool out of yourself. I've referred several members here to have their york installed and I don't even know who they are. Plus, contractor referral is the norm in this forum.

I am just a enthusiastic homeowner/tech/marketing/kitchen & bath guy who is trying to help out fellow homeowners and that is the SPIRIT of this FORUM. I participate actively in HVAC threads because I think it is a very interesting industry as it affects personal comfort and health since the majority of the time is spent indoors in your home.
Wasserware, I knew I'd seen your name on another forum. When I was first researching my a/c I found a site which I revisit from time to time and lo and behold, there you were!

Here's the link:
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=536222&page=1

Let me summarise for our readers:

You started a thread claiming to be "just a homeowner interested in HVAC" but the moderators on that forum immediately sensed that you were selling something. They REPEATEDLY asked you to remove the links in your post. When you did not do that, they removed them for you. You then went back in to re-edit your post and reinsert the web link which they again removed. Then you went in and did it again! They removed it again and sent you a stern warning not to do so. At the end you made a feeble attempt to save face.

Seems like it's not only this forum on which you are obtuse.

wasserware wrote:
Jul 14th, 2010 1:30 pm
It is possible, and it has been done before and mods would have moved in ASAP if that was the case.
Seems to me that you were speaking from personal experience!

The quoted thread above is more evidence that you've got some sort of gig going.

p.s. I also find it hilarious that you (just a homeowner wanting to learn something) went to that pro forum and tried to post your Buyer's Guide as if you were an authority on the matter.

p.p.s. Can't wait to hear the explanation on this one.

Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
What part do you not get that I am not associated with the hVAC industry, dealer or have my own HVAC company and now you are resorting online stalking and pathetic googling to try to expose me? Try all you want becaus you aint gonna find anything but make yourself look like a complete fool. You want an explanation on my posts at HVAC talk, there you have it:

I first signed up using the same nickname Wasserware and posted a question about a refrigerant additives A/C Renew by Nu-Calgon which claimed to raise efficiency by 10%. Since I am very intersted in HVAC equipments I naturally posted my question there since all the pros hangout there but I never knew it was a scam products until the pros there pointed me to a link. That also raised questions if i am a sham dealer of that product because it has happened before.

Since alot of homeowners also hang out in that forum, I decided to post my buying guide on that site but it was against their policies since no DIY threads are allowed. Nevertheless I apologized to moderators and signed up under a new nickname wasserwareca and posted the following threads for your STALKING INTERESTS:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/search.php?searchid=26467962

In addition, I also posted my guide over here –

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=13286
and various other HVAC related threads:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=13324
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=13135
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=12507

Let me get this straight with you once more, I NEVER CLAIMED to be an authority in this matter and that was stated clearly in my guide, there is 0 (ZERO) technical content in the guide. Too bad if you lack the comprehension skills to interpret it.

From the sound of the post, it seems you are disgruntled crap 3 dealer (Keeprite, Amana, Goodman) that is pissed off because me as an over-educated homeowner keeps on bashing your brands? Or simply you are bitter because you do not like to see people bash your brand of install?

Also, why dont you go pick a fight with the real pros here who also bashes the Crap 3 brands at every opportunity? Why? Because they are doing homeowners are service instead of disservice.

Lastly, maybe you should also go take a peek at the computer forum here, there are tons of fans from Intel, AMD, Nvidia bashing up each other silly, why dont you go accuse them of trying to "advertise" their computer shop here?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
RETD wrote:
Jul 18th, 2010 8:28 pm

Keep going. The more you foam at the mouth, the more you erode any of what little credibility you may have and the more readers of this thread will take you for what you are - nothing but a shill.

Keeprite is still POS, I only said it was OK because it is a BIT Better than the piece of crap goodman accross the street. I pity the neigbour with a baby.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Oh RETD, I am sorry to hear that you had a keeprite installed in your house by a trane dealer. I feel sorry for the trane dealer but I must also apologize to you for bashing keeprite because obviously it poked a hornet's nest.

Please accept my sincere apologies.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1735 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa
RETD wrote:
Jul 18th, 2010 8:28 pm

RETD wrote:
Jul 18th, 2010 8:54 pm
Wasserware, I knew I'd seen your name on another forum. When I was first researching my a/c I found a site which I revisit from time to time and lo and behold, there you were!

Here's the link:
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=536222&page=1

Let me summarise for our readers:

You started a thread claiming to be "just a homeowner interested in HVAC" but the moderators on that forum immediately sensed that you were selling something. They REPEATEDLY asked you to remove the links in your post. When you did not do that, they removed them for you. You then went back in to re-edit your post and reinsert the web link which they again removed. Then you went in and did it again! They removed it again and sent you a stern warning not to do so. At the end you made a feeble attempt to save face.

Seems like it's not only this forum on which you are obtuse.

Seems to me that you were speaking from personal experience!

The quoted thread above is more evidence that you've got some sort of gig going.

p.s. I also find it hilarious that you (just a homeowner wanting to learn something) went to that pro forum and tried to post your Buyer's Guide as if you were an authority on the matter.

p.p.s. Can't wait to hear the explanation on this one.

wasserware wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 1:02 am
What part do you not get that I am not associated with the hVAC industry, dealer or have my own HVAC company and now you are resorting online stalking and pathetic googling to try to expose me? Try all you want becaus you aint gonna find anything but make yourself look like a complete fool. You want an explanation on my posts at HVAC talk, there you have it:

I first signed up using the same nickname Wasserware and posted a question about a refrigerant additives A/C Renew by Nu-Calgon which claimed to raise efficiency by 10%. Since I am very intersted in HVAC equipments I naturally posted my question there since all the pros hangout there but I never knew it was a scam products until the pros there pointed me to a link. That also raised questions if i am a sham dealer of that product because it has happened before.

Since alot of homeowners also hang out in that forum, I decided to post my buying guide on that site but it was against their policies since no DIY threads are allowed. Nevertheless I apologized to moderators and signed up under a new nickname wasserwareca and posted the following threads for your STALKING INTERESTS:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/search.php?searchid=26467962

In addition, I also posted my guide over here –

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=13286
and various other HVAC related threads:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=13324
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=13135
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=12507

Let me get this straight with you once more, I NEVER CLAIMED to be an authority in this matter and that was stated clearly in my guide, there is 0 (ZERO) technical content in the guide. Too bad if you lack the comprehension skills to interpret it.

From the sound of the post, it seems you are disgruntled crap 3 dealer (Keeprite, Amana, Goodman) that is pissed off because me as an over-educated homeowner keeps on bashing your brands? Or simply you are bitter because you do not like to see people bash your brand of install?

Also, why dont you go pick a fight with the real pros here who also bashes the Crap 3 brands at every opportunity? Why? Because they are doing homeowners are service instead of disservice.

Lastly, maybe you should also go take a peek at the computer forum here, there are tons of fans from Intel, AMD, Nvidia bashing up each other silly, why dont you go accuse them of trying to "advertise" their computer shop here?
Well RETD, it appears you're on some kind of mission here. Fact remains that Keeprite and Goodman ARE cheap brands - and I don't sell them (I used to, but the service calls were killing us.).

As for Wasserware being an HVAC guy: he is an importer of plumbing products, hence the name Wasserware, which is a play on the German word for water (wasser). I can tell you he's not an HVAC guy, because of the questions he used to ask, and how the true HVAC guys on this thread had "educated" him. So he likes his York stuff, and like to toot his horn? Whippy-poop! Get over it.

But from how you are vehemently defending the crap lines you're talking about (Goodman, Keeprite, etc...), it appears that maybe you are an HVAC dealer or sales rep. Either way: it really doesn't matter, correct? Facts remain the same: certain products are built for quality, while others are built for price point. And I don't appreciate poster-bashing here, as does nobody else.

And I am not going to hide the fact that I am an HVAC guy - been one for over 20 years, and have done everything from residential to industrial, via commercial, institutional and government. I have represented manufacturers and given technical presentations to engineering firms, and have helped HVAC manufacturers design better products and assisted in R&D for product development of HVAC equipment. I am an HVAC consultant in Ottawa, and am presently in a bidding war for my services: two companies are trying to hire me. So I reserve the right to tell you or anyone else that a product is not up to my standards, plus I am more often than not willing to back it up with facts.

And for what he posts on the Yankee HVAC forum - who cares? If he feels like posting in China - are you going to bash him about that too? :confused:

I think both of you guys should start your own thread - start out in the corners, and fight it out: this thread is not fight club! :mad: I really think it's turning into a "last word wins" - I think the person who shows the most maturity here, and ignores the other will win this argument.

And if the price looks good but the product is crappy, we all reserve the right to inform the poster that we feel that it's not that great of a deal. And if you are selling someone some cheap product, and your client tells you that this thread has informed him/her that the product is crappy, then sell something of quality!

But what really gets my goat is that posters are bashing people on this thread: they should stick to the thread's purpose, and stay away from bashing the people. This isn't a "last word wins" contest - we're supposed to be adults here...

So if anyone has any great deals on A/C products, be it a crappy product like Goodman or Keeprite or something of quality: post away!
If you like my post, please upvote! :)
Putting people and solutions together since 1995
Mar 9, 2010
238 posts
21 upvotes
wasserware wrote:

Can you please state why they are no good?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
pinkcar wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 9:56 am
Can you please state why they are no good?
please don't poke the sore spot. :!:

Those brands *tend* to be entry level, price point units.

There are SOME good units from those brands IF you buy the higher end ones, but *usually* those customers who buy those brands are after *cheap* (see my sig) units NOT quality units. Therefor they are lower efficiency *usually 13 SEER*, louder, cheaper components (service valves!) etc.

Beyond that we don't need brand bashing IMO. Its a buyer beware really, if its THAT cheap what do you REALLY expect? Cheap and quality never go hand in hand.

In the car world people want to go fast and do it cheaply. Well put it this way, you can go fast, be cheap, or reliable. Pick any TWO and the 3rd becomes not possible. So fast and cheap isn't reliable, cheap and reliable won't be fast, reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Roughly apply the same thing to efficiency, quality, cheap. Pretty simple in the end.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
× < >