• Sep 20th, 2019 5:26 am
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
971 upvotes
Mississauga

Air Duct Cleaning Phone Calls

Does anyone get these calls? I get two everyday around dinner time (one at 4:00PM, the other around 6:30PM). It's annoying me beyond belief because it's been going on for months now. It's always a guy from India and it's always the same conversation, "I am calling from Air Duct Cleaning." At this point I usually hang up, say "NO," then hang up, or tell them where to go. At one point I went ballistic on one guy and he started throwing profanities back at me. Then when I hung up he called back about 2 more times laughing about how he was harassing me. At that point I just called my cell phone to keep the line busy and he stopped.

I've tried to call my phone company to see if there was anything they can do. The problem is the phone number is a Gmail account. I've even tried complaining to Google but they haven't responded. I've thought about getting a blocking service, but the damn Google number always changes. This is absolute bullcrap.

Am I alone?
190 replies
Feb 1, 2006
308 posts
21 upvotes
Nope....you're not alone.
You can throw in RBC and Rogers into the mix.
When Rogers had their recent promotion, I think they hired a third party marketing firm to entice customers. I was getting two calls a day from them especially when I told the first caller I would think about it.
RBC is relentless. Two, three calls a day, which I don't answer anymore.
Then there is the "we can lower your interest rate," tape message. It's just ridiculous!!!!!!
My phone is ringing constantly from telemarketers, and now they have gotten smarter by calling from a local number instead of the typical long distance ring. I answer because I think it's a legit call and then find out it's more of the same crap.
I use to be polite but now I just hang up. So much for the no call list.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
971 upvotes
Mississauga
boston wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 1:22 pm
Nope....you're not alone.
You can throw in RBC and Rogers into the mix.
When Rogers had their recent promotion, I think they hired a third party marketing firm to entice customers. I was getting two calls a day from them especially when I told the first caller I would think about it.
RBC is relentless. Two, three calls a day, which I don't answer anymore.
Then there is the "we can lower your interest rate," tape message. It's just ridiculous!!!!!!
My phone is ringing constantly from telemarketers, and now they have gotten smarter by calling from a local number instead of the typical long distance ring. I think it's a legit call and then find out it's more of the same crap.
I use to be polite but now I just hang up. So much for the no call list.
50% of the time when I get these calls it'll be of me saying, "Hello?... Hello??....HELLO!!!??" and then slamming the phone. The damn line won't even connect.

I completely forgot about RBC. I get phone calls from these bastards all the time. It's usually an Asian lady asking me if I want to buy insurance. NO I DON'T.

I feel so helpless in this situation. Leave me the hell alone.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6351 posts
1851 upvotes
I sometimes have fun with these clowns. I try using different ethnic accidents, claim it's a wrong number, claim I'm a pizza place and once I pretended I was an answering machine lol.
Jul 8, 2006
619 posts
23 upvotes
Burlington
I use a free Android app called CallFilter to block unwanted calls on my phone. It basically hangs up on unwanted numbers even before the phone rings. You can configure it to use a whitelist or blacklist. Telemarketing calls to Cellphones are supposed to be illegal, so it isn't as bad as the days when I had a landline.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8912 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto
I always get these air duct cleaning calls, annoying as hell but I think i blocked most of them. Another annoying one is OFCP Toronto, they keep calling and changing their last 4 digits it's freaking annoying. One time I shouted profanities at them and they called back with 3 different numbers the same day lol.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 17th, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foul language
Nov 18, 2011
514 posts
12 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I use to tell them I don't have ducks in my house. Then I was like I don't live in canada any more. But lately I tell them to hold on then I hang up and they always call back and I say I'm sorry and ask them to hold on and hang up again.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10982 posts
834 upvotes
Brampton
I hate these bastards! There is one guy that calls and never says anything anymore! I find that just letting the phone ring out will reduce the number of times they call during the day.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15141 posts
1834 upvotes
Oshawa
cheapmeister wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 7:07 pm
There is one guy that calls and never says anything anymore!
That's probably the auto-dialer. It calls several numbers at once, and connects the phone rep with whoever answers first. If a second person answers before the dialer disconnects, they get dead air.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10982 posts
834 upvotes
Brampton
JAC wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 8:19 pm
That's probably the auto-dialer. It calls several numbers at once, and connects the phone rep with whoever answers first. If a second person answers before the dialer disconnects, they get dead air.
Wow, I didn't know that.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
971 upvotes
Mississauga
Lol forgot about the OFCP too and their truck that will be in my area.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
446 upvotes
Help me
I just tell them I don't have air ducts.
Aug 24, 2011
253 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
One or more of these companies uses Indian callers on skype now. The number on my call display showed (no joking) 416-111-6666. The callers are always rude, sarcastic and talk back. I wish a police officer on these forums would book an appointment next time a skype telemarketer calls and arrest them when they show up for the appointment.
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1141 upvotes
Mississauga East
Too bad the phone company will not provide a service where we can set up
a WHITE LIST of numbers that I want to accept calls from