Off Topic

Air Duct Cleaning Phone Calls

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 11:24 am
Apr 24, 2016
18 posts
Thornhill, ON
We use this "vtech" phone that can't even reject calls. Can anyone recommend a good phone system that can reject and block certain callers or type of callers? Thanks!
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering
I didn't know these duct cleaning Indians were scammers I just thought all duct cleaners were Indian immigrants and nobody ever thought to call for duct cleaning so they had to reach out to potential customers. Everything is a freaking scam these days.
I once got a call from "My visa provider" I told them I had MasterCard and the guy (Indian of course) said he was calling from Visa AND MasterCard. I told him he was a terrible scammer and then shouted profanities at him.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Nov 6th, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foul language
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1365 posts
1297 upvotes
Canada
Who nowadays answers their phone when you don't recognise the number that is calling. Let it go to voicemail/message service and call them back if necessary. Pretty basic common knowledge.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1799 posts
718 upvotes
Kitchener
Waste their time. I had the scammers call me about duct cleaning and I said 'Oh yeah, I got lots of ducks'...ducks...not ducts! This went on for about 20 minutes, as they were confused as hell (because I told them I have a farm and about 200 ducks) and it eventually led to supervisor intervention. In the end, they hung up. Never heard from these folks again.
Well, I am not a crook.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6192 posts
1710 upvotes
I had one of these guys call me and I had a plastic cup beside me so I used Bane voice on him for about 5 minutes before he gave up. Some good lawls were had.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6586 posts
1246 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:23 am
Waste their time. I had the scammers call me about duct cleaning and I said 'Oh yeah, I got lots of ducks'...ducks...not ducts! This went on for about 20 minutes, as they were confused as hell (because I told them I have a farm and about 200 ducks) and it eventually led to supervisor intervention. In the end, they hung up. Never heard from these folks again.
That's the best way to get these idiots to stop calling, waste their time.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5810 posts
1738 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:03 am
Everything is a freaking scam these days.
I once got a call from "My visa provider" I told them I had MasterCard and the guy (Indian of course) said he was calling from Visa AND MasterCard. I told him he was a terrible scammer and then shouted profanities at him.
My son (a University Engineering student) got one of those "This is Microsoft calling - you have a problem with your computer" calls.
He strung the poor bastard along for close to an hour....got the caller to admit he was in India...asked the caller if he spoke Hindi (reply was affirmative) ...my kid Googled some transliterated Hindi curses
http://www.hindilearner.com/hindi_words ... words1.php
and and had some fun until the guy told him he was very rude and hung up.
Sep 16, 2006
892 posts
175 upvotes
Pickering
plymouthhater wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:34 pm
My son (a University Engineering student) got one of those "This is Microsoft calling - you have a problem with your computer" calls.
He strung the poor bastard along for close to an hour....got the caller to admit he was in India...asked the caller if he spoke Hindi (reply was affirmative) ...my kid Googled some transliterated Hindi curses
http://www.hindilearner.com/hindi_words ... words1.php
and and had some fun until the guy told him he was very rude and hung up.
That's hilarious. Ive never been able to string them along for more than ten minutes.
Oct 23, 2017
533 posts
273 upvotes
GTA West
The CRTC who controls the Do Not Call List could put a stop to this by having a small team make the duct cleaning appointments and then charging the companies that show up. A couple of years ago when they were shamed by a CBC Marketplace investigation, they did charge a few companies. But now we seem to be back to square one.

Obviously, enough people actually make duct cleaning appointments to make the calls worthwhile. I assume the local duct cleaning operator pays a commission to the telemarketer in India for a referral, and that these referrals are very valuable to people working for very low earnings. Strangely, the callers don't seem to make any attempt to sell anymore. So maybe they have a quota of calls to meet, and just try to move to the next call as soon as possible.

Number based call blocking is useless since they are all spoofed numbers that change all the time. I have blocked tons of numbers but still get new calls. I wish there was a way to block calls by country - that would solve 95% of the problem with illegal and scam calls.
Dec 31, 2007
379 posts
77 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:58 pm
The CRTC who controls the Do Not Call List could put a stop to this by having a small team make the duct cleaning appointments and then charging the companies that show up. A couple of years ago when they were shamed by a CBC Marketplace investigation, they did charge a few companies. But now we seem to be back to square one.

Obviously, enough people actually make duct cleaning appointments to make the calls worthwhile. I assume the local duct cleaning operator pays a commission to the telemarketer in India for a referral, and that these referrals are very valuable to people working for very low earnings. Strangely, the callers don't seem to make any attempt to sell anymore. So maybe they have a quota of calls to meet, and just try to move to the next call as soon as possible.

Number based call blocking is useless since they are all spoofed numbers that change all the time. I have blocked tons of numbers but still get new calls. I wish there was a way to block calls by country - that would solve 95% of the problem with illegal and scam calls.

you can block all calls by country code. just ask your telco to block country codes 91 and 92 to your landline.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residen ... /95208.htm

i've blocked all calls from india and pakistan and it reduced the number of crap calls by 80%. for the rest, , i just dont pick up and let it hit vmail.
Oct 23, 2017
533 posts
273 upvotes
GTA West
I can probably block calls containing a specific country code within the Caller ID myself, if there is one. But these appear as local calls without a country code and I assume that my Indo-Pakistan calls arrive via VOIP technology that does not pass this information.

I have reached out to my VOIP provider with that question.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7996 posts
1300 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:58 pm
Strangely, the callers don't seem to make any attempt to sell anymore. So maybe they have a quota of calls to meet, and just try to move to the next call as soon as possible.
I don't know. I get these calls multiple times a week and as long as I am not on a work call, I just blast some annoying sounds through the phone. They keep talking for awhile regardless, and then they eventually realize that no one is listening, but they don't hang up. Yesterday the guy was on for at least 15 minutes before I finally hung up since I needed the phone.

If I feel like entertaining a bit, I just agree and give them the address to the local police office.
Oct 23, 2017
533 posts
273 upvotes
GTA West
The best would be to forward their calls to "Lenny", if you have the capability:

Nov 13, 2017
2 posts
I get 2 to 5 calls per day and I even got a call on Sunday. I'm logging the times and phone numbers and writing CRTC. I have put the company on the "do not call list" but this company has at least 20 different business names.