• Nov 28th, 2015 12:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes

Are Air Fryers worth it?

I've been thinking about picking one up for Black Friday since I've seen a few on sale. So far I've seen the T-Fal Actifry, Philips Airfryer, Black and Decker models.

Does anyone here own one?

Are they worth the asking price?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
You mean Air ovens.

And no, they cannot replace hot oil for frying.
They make fine ovens because that's what they are but they make a very poor replacement for an actual deep fryer.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
Yes we have an actifry and love it. Makes oven fries better than they would ever be in an oven, and makes so many other meals easily (my husband is more inclined to use it than pots and pans).
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
I like my AirFryer, works pretty good. It's no deep fryer but its nice to be able to control the amount of oil used.

My only complaint is when I make breaded chicken or schnitzel, the loose breadcrumbs/salt/herbs/etc. tend to fly around the air circulation and shoot out the back. I have it angled towards a wet wipe that I can just wipe off, but can be annoying if you don't have much counterspace.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
Okay here's a good question: I live in a place where my Hydro (electricity) is extra. Do the Air Fryers cut down on Hydro use? (vs. other options)
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
I've had an actifry for years and it's awesome. Does it replace a 'real'/'deep' fryer? Depends; for me, it does for the following reasons: healthier as it uses much less oil, and cleanup is easier. Just be careful about your wordings here. I never thought that to criticize someone's deep fryer is tantamount to insulting his religion or politics LOL. They are a zealous bunch lmao.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Okay here's a good question: I live in a place where my Hydro (electricity) is extra. Do the Air Fryers cut down on Hydro use? (vs. other options)
Vs an actual oven? Yes.
Vs another counter top oven? Probably not.
Vs a deep fryer? Probably not.

YMMV depending on actual model being compared.
tranquility922 wrote: I've had an actifry for years and it's awesome. Does it replace a 'real'/'deep' fryer? Depends; for me, it does for the following reasons: healthier as it uses much less oil, and cleanup is easier.
Healthier and using less oil aren't features though.
I love my oven. But there's some things that can't be replicated without a deep fryer. Those are usually unhealthy and I'm specifically choosing to eat them.
Trying to replicate them in an oven usually produces poor results.

As for cleanup, I would also dispute this. There's not really any cleanup for a deep fryer. Use it 10 times, dump the oil in a milk jug (or similar) and toss most of it in the dishwasher.
Just be careful about your wordings here. I never thought that to criticize someone's deep fryer is tantamount to insulting his religion or politics LOL. They are a zealous bunch lmao.
I'm tired of companies releasing "air fryers" because you can't fry with air.
It's suckering people in with fancy tag lines like "healthy" (which I can't dispute) but the very nature of deep frying means immersion in hot oil.
With the amount I use my deep fryer I may as well be religious about it. I'm sure I could spin off a sect of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Let's say Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's Brother: The Eternal Chicken and his Crispy Appendage.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
death_hawk wrote: Healthier and using less oil aren't features though.
I love my oven. But there's some things that can't be replicated without a deep fryer. Those are usually unhealthy and I'm specifically choosing to eat them.
Trying to replicate them in an oven usually produces poor results.

As for cleanup, I would also dispute this. There's not really any cleanup for a deep fryer. Use it 10 times, dump the oil in a milk jug (or similar) and toss most of it in the dishwasher.

I'm tired of companies releasing "air fryers" because you can't fry with air.
It's suckering people in with fancy tag lines like "healthy" (which I can't dispute) but the very nature of deep frying means immersion in hot oil.
With the amount I use my deep fryer I may as well be religious about it. I'm sure I could spin off a sect of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Let's say Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's Brother: The Eternal Chicken and his Crispy Appendage.
See what I mean? I'm not even attacking deep fryers yet you felt the need to defend them. Also, no one is fooled into getting them: I know exactly what I wanted-i.e. anything but a deep fryer as I don't wanna deal w/ all that oil. Of course it's more healthy/less bad for you due to the fact it uses less oil. Ofc it is easier to clean cuz you don't have all that nasty oil to discard. To deny these pts is just not being honest or objective. Like I said, deep fryer users are a fervent bunch, proof is readily apparent.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Some people are fooled. Based on the number of posts about air fryers ovens in this forum alone asking if they're any good.

It's not like it's hard discarding the oil. Toss it in the trash and call it a day. Takes me all of 15 seconds.

Also volume of oil has nothing to do with the amount of oil the food absorbs. Due to how hot oil works the food itself doesn't actually absorb that much oil.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
death_hawk wrote: Some people are fooled. Based on the number of posts about air fryers ovens in this forum alone asking if they're any good.

It's not like it's hard discarding the oil. Toss it in the trash and call it a day. Takes me all of 15 seconds.

Also volume of oil has nothing to do with the amount of oil the food absorbs. Due to how hot oil works the food itself doesn't actually absorb that much oil.
Doesn't matter, I'm sure conversely some ppl get 'fooled' into getting deep fryers and didn't know how much of a hassle it is to maintain, keeping the standing oil and being inefficient about # times used/oil dispatched (you don't just 'toss it in the trash', I assume you waste a container everytime if you properly dispose of it). Anyway, you guys act so threatened by these new devices and vehemently defend your deep fryers, it's hilarious.

These new thingys just serves its own niche, some ppl just can't be bothered w/ all that oil. Don't worry, your precious deep fryers still serve their own purpose, put down your pitchforks.

EDIT: reread the OP and your immediate reply, he didn't even ask about deep fryers! Rather, he just asked about 'air' fryers on their own. Still, you just decided to make deep frying an issue, it's like someone asking about Android phones and you ram in here and say 'they SUCK, iphone is the innovator, don't even think about it'! LOL.

(OP, see what I mean? HAHAHA.)
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
We like ours but pretty much only use it for potatoes. great for making a portion for just 1 or 2 with your lunch without having to heat up the entire house and sucking up power.. also good for freeing the oven for other things when making larger meals
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Doesn't matter, I'm sure conversely some ppl get 'fooled' into getting deep fryers and didn't know how much of a hassle it is to maintain, keeping the standing oil and being inefficient about # times used/oil dispatched (you don't just 'toss it in the trash', I assume you waste a container everytime if you properly dispose of it).
What maintenance? Mine sits on the deck until needed. I take it down once every 10 or 15 fry sessions, dump the oil into the garbage (or a container like a milk jug if you really want), and toss most of the parts into the dishwasher.

Anyway, you guys act so threatened by these new devices and vehemently defend your deep fryers, it's hilarious.
I'm not threatened by new devices, I laugh at the claims that an oven can do a deep fryer's job.
If anything could come close to replacing a deep fryer I'd probably have one.
I'm simply warning others that these "fryers" are not actually fryers but ovens.
These new thingys just serves its own niche, some ppl just can't be bothered w/ all that oil. Don't worry, your precious deep fryers still serve their own purpose, put down your pitchforks.
I never said they didn't. Like I said, they make fine ovens mostly because they are ovens.
EDIT: reread the OP and your immediate reply, he didn't even ask about deep fryers! Rather, he just asked about 'air' fryers on their own. Still, you just decided to make deep frying an issue, it's like someone asking about Android phones and you ram in here and say 'they SUCK, iphone is the innovator, don't even think about it'! LOL.
My original post still stands. Even though they're known as air "fryers" I use the word "fry" lightly as they cannot fry.
The proper term for these devices should be air ovens.
I don't want anyone to be misled by manufacturers thinking they can fry or replicate the results of a proper deep fryer with air.

A better analogy would be bursting into an Android phone thread and waving one of these around:
It's still technically a phone but you can't make a call with it.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
coriolis wrote: I like my AirFryer, works pretty good. It's no deep fryer but its nice to be able to control the amount of oil used.

My only complaint is when I make breaded chicken or schnitzel, the loose breadcrumbs/salt/herbs/etc. tend to fly around the air circulation and shoot out the back. I have it angled towards a wet wipe that I can just wipe off, but can be annoying if you don't have much counterspace.
Lol put a hungry man behind it he will eat it as it flies out.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
I have been thinking about 1 of these for years and finally took the plunge on an Actifry today. $170 for the family 1 is a great deal.
Sep 4, 2014
537 posts
47 upvotes
Madden, AB
How does it work with making crispy potatoes in the Actifry versus the oven? I like roasted potatoes, but sometimes they take a long time to crisp up in the oven.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
death_hawk wrote: What maintenance? Mine sits on the deck until needed. I take it down once every 10 or 15 fry sessions, dump the oil into the garbage (or a container like a milk jug if you really want), and toss most of the parts into the dishwasher.

I'm not threatened by new devices, I laugh at the claims that an oven can do a deep fryer's job.
If anything could come close to replacing a deep fryer I'd probably have one.
I'm simply warning others that these "fryers" are not actually fryers but ovens.

I never said they didn't. Like I said, they make fine ovens mostly because they are ovens.

My original post still stands. Even though they're known as air "fryers" I use the word "fry" lightly as they cannot fry.
The proper term for these devices should be air ovens.
I don't want anyone to be misled by manufacturers thinking they can fry or replicate the results of a proper deep fryer with air.

A better analogy would be bursting into an Android phone thread and waving one of these around:
It's still technically a phone but you can't make a call with it.
Maintenance in terms of what to do w/ all that oil: are you gonna save it for repeated fryings? What if you only want to fry 1 thing, then you're wasting the oil or letting it sit in the fryer for day(s). Not very healthy/hygienic. I'm sure there's a proper way to dispose of the oil and it's not just 'dumping it in' lest your garbage bag leaks. Anyway, that's another headache I won't have to deal w/...

Of course you're threatened, although I'm not sure why as you readily state that it doesn't replace a deep fryer. Here's news to you: I don't think it does either. However, for ppl that want some frying exp and can't be bothered being totally committed and using all that oil, an air-fryer is a good *alternative*. It's not really an oven either as it 'fries' better than an oven. It is what it is, I guess somewhere between an oven and a deep fryer, regardless of whether you acknowledge it or not.

Naw, your original post is irrelevant as OP didn't ask about it, yet you decided to start this airfryer vs fryer topic. Anyway, your analogy is quite inapplicable as ofc that FP is not a phone, whereas the airfryers do have a frying ftn, despite what you say, just not in the conventional sense.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
hello3k wrote: How does it work with making crispy potatoes in the Actifry versus the oven? I like roasted potatoes, but sometimes they take a long time to crisp up in the oven.
I kinda regret buying mine, but fries and wedges are one thing it DOES do really well.

If Im being completely honest though I use Mccain wedges, or those cavendish costco fries. Havent had nearly as much luck making an actual potato come out good.

I also find it kinda hard to keep clean 'long term'. The device itself is caked in oil and I never really add oil to mine. The unit is a few years old though.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
EmperorOfCanada wrote: I kinda regret buying mine, but fries and wedges are one thing it DOES do really well.

If Im being completely honest though I use Mccain wedges, or those cavendish costco fries. Havent had nearly as much luck making an actual potato come out good.

I also find it kinda hard to keep clean 'long term'. The device itself is caked in oil and I never really add oil to mine. The unit is a few years old though.
That's too bad you regret it. I only use mine for basic stuff as well (fries, potatoes, spring rolls, chicken strips/nuggets) but it's good for those purposes. I thought doing the store bought frozen fries was good but cutting your own is not only better/cheaper but resembles NYFries.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
tranquility922 wrote: That's too bad you regret it. I only use mine for basic stuff as well (fries, potatoes, spring rolls, chicken strips/nuggets) but it's good for those purposes. I thought doing the store bought frozen fries was good but cutting your own is not only better/cheaper but resembles NYFries.
I guess regret might be a bit strong. It does fries so well its almost worth it for that alone, but I just felt like I had high hopes and was let down when trying other items (chicken wings, onion rings, just about anything else lol)

*Edit
As far as homemade fries go, no crunch no deal, as far as my wife is concerned :p
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
EmperorOfCanada wrote: I guess regret might be a bit strong. It does fries so well its almost worth it for that alone, but I just felt like I had high hopes and was let down when trying other items (chicken wings, onion rings, just about anything else lol)

*Edit
As far as homemade fries go, no crunch no deal, as far as my wife is concerned :p

Try cooking anything you want crispy without the paddle for a bit at the beginning.

Is your lid removable? the front part of ours comes off for washing and I wipe out under the pan every time I after use when I take the pan out. Also the filters parts can be cleaned as well. I find soaking a cloth in very very hot water and then attacking the machine with it before it cools helps clean the non removable parts :D