Shopping Discussion

Locked: Air Miles 2019 (General Discussion Thread)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2020 6:35 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11826 posts
9096 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
FoMoHotDeals wrote: Your Onyx status starts Jan 1st and if you collect another 6000 ams in 2020, you'll get Onyx status again for 2021. That's how it was for memoir the last few years.
There was a change in this AMs Policy at the beginning of 2018
See ... PLACEHOLDER # 2 on Page 1 of this thread

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/air-mile ... #p30356491

STATUS now goes into effect the moment you meet the Milemarkers 1000 and 6000

BUT there can certainly be a significant delay between the earn / POSTED date
And the time that STATUS is actually updated on one’s AMs Account
(The GOLD or BLACK Bar at the top of the page)

It used to be that STATUS UPDATES took 2 weeks ... sometimes more during December
Which is definitely AMs busiest season
In recent months RFDers have been reporting it’s been taking 3 or 4 weeks ... and that’s not December

BUT ... several called in / did live chat
And got their STATUS UPDATED immediately
So they could enjoy some of the Change in Status Benefits
(Good if one is booking travel)
But ... the rest of the benefits ... especially Onyx truly only happen once you get the Black Onyx Cards by Canada Post
This is because, some of the Partners require the presentation of said cards as proof
(The AMs PERKS Program)

Not sure what’s going on with the current message ...
(Other than they may just swamped with volume on the admin end)
But if it had happened to me, I’d be calling in / live chat to ask

Unless you are using your AMs for a booking
It really isn’t much of an inconvenience tho
pickles02 wrote: Is anyone else having problems with Airmiles not advancing from Gold to Onyx status? We have already achieved more than 6000 airmiles in 2019 with some more that will be posted before year's end. When we logged onto the AIrmiles website today (Sunday) to confirm we had moved to Onyx status, we were shocked to see a message that said Congrats! You've collected 6052 airmiles this year. Your current status is GOLD until December 31, 2020"

What?? We've surpassed 6000 airmiles by their own week-end count and we should have Onyx status now. What gives? Anyone else have the same experience?
There’s ALWAYS been a delay in the website STATUS UPDATE Bar
Even if the rest of the website shows you have earned & seen 6000 Miles POST

Never happens the first Sunday
May happen the second Sunday or later
(And when they say Sunday ... it’s more like you will actually see it on the Monday, as it updates overnight)
Nov 9, 2013
696 posts
216 upvotes
Vancouver
Is the AM card always blue? I have only ever had a blue card (even when I was Gold, I have seen gold pictures on the site), until my black onyx card showed up, so now I am curious is there actually a ‘gold’ card too?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11826 posts
9096 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Trophy23 wrote: Is the AM card always blue? I have only ever had a blue card (even when I was Gold, I have seen gold pictures on the site), until my black onyx card showed up, so now I am curious is there actually a ‘gold’ card too?
They used to issue AirMiles Gold Cards
I definitely have one from the first time I reached GOLD (decades ago)
I don’t think they send them out any more cuz so many folks make Gold now
Not as big of a deal as it once was
When AMs was over run with Millions of “Casual Collectors”
With just a few hundred miles
At the time they were out to promote more serious / dedicated use of the program and loyalty to their Partners
Now that focus has moved up to being Onyx

(Also in the same way AMs CCs focus has moved up to Black / Onyx Cards
BMO World Elite = https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credi ... /airmiles/
AMEX Reserve = https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... k_airmiles )

Makes sense, after all these 2 CC Cos are BIG PARTNERS in the AMs Program
Dec 8, 2008
237 posts
211 upvotes
Winnipeg
I did not know this. Have always just used my blue card. Which partners require presentation of the black card?
Thanks.
PointsHubby wrote:

But ... the rest of the benefits ... especially Onyx truly only happen once you get the Black Onyx Cards by Canada Post
This is because, some of the Partners require the presentation of said cards as proof
(The AMs PERKS Program)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11826 posts
9096 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
marmalade12 wrote: I did not know this. Have always just used my blue card. Which partners require presentation of the black card?
Thanks.
To be honest ... I don’t KNOWINGLY use the PERKS feature
But the info comes in the Welcome Pkg booklet when you get your Onyx Cards in the mail
(From what I understand it similar to how the CAA Membership Card works @ Retailers ... show the card, get the perk)
Nov 3, 2016
162 posts
116 upvotes
lacy8156 wrote: Regarding, the email that wants you to set a goal - I am Onyx and have not set a goal in the past, but just attempted it. I picked a destination costing mega miles, thinking if I set my goal high, I just might get more personal offers. Then before hitting the final submit button, it said something like "are you sure, you cannot change your goal once you submit it?" Whoa....they are taking this way more seriously than I am! I actually don't have a destination in mind. My real desire is to get more and better personal offers because for the last year I haven't received many.
I am probably overthinking this, I know. Is there a strategy I should be aware of when setting my goal? FYI... I didn't hit the final submit yet.
Heh, I was thinking the same thing. I don't know of any strategy; if it's been discussed here before then I missed it. I set my goal to be a flight costing 8,000 AM. Then I got the "you cannot change your goal" message and laughed, because if I manage to earn 8,000, they can't actually make me go to Ecuador if I don't feel like it. I get to spend the miles however I like.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11826 posts
9096 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
@supremePug
@mdb1983
@shimh

Your POSTs / conversation has been copied / relocated to the STB 2019 - AIRMILES SHOPS.CA thread
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/national ... h-2330709/

So you can be part of the far bigger conversation on this topic

NOTE - RFD has very generously donated to us AirMiles Enthusiasts our very own SUB FORUM for this AirMiles Event
So we can easier find offers, discuss them, and share experiences
We really truly should show our appreciation and use it so the whole RFD Membership can share info

Thx
Points Hubby
STB 2019 SUB FORUM HOST
Mar 14, 2010
275 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: ... several called in / did live chat
And got their STATUS UPDATED immediately
(The AMs PERKS Program)

Not sure what’s going on with the current message ...
(Other than they may just swamped with volume on the admin end)
But if it had happened to me, I’d be calling in / live chat to ask

here’s ALWAYS been a delay in the website STATUS UPDATE Bar
Even if the rest of the website shows you have earned & seen 6000 Miles POST

Never happens the first Sunday
May happen the second Sunday or later
(And when they say Sunday ... it’s more like you will actually see it on the Monday, as it updates overnight)
Thank you, PointsHubby, for your detailed answer. I put in a callback from Airmiles today and the status had actually changed to Onyx before the callback rang!

Also I hadn't thought about the need to receive the black card by mail in order to ensure full access to Onyx benefits. Good to know. Fortunately, we can check into flights we're interested in before Canada Post delivers. All else can wait.
You are a great resource on all things Air Miles.
Thank you and Merry Christmas, PointsHubby!!
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
11716 posts
3663 upvotes
Toronto
One final redeem 95 get back 25 promo for the year at Metro but runs SIX days from Thursday December 26 to Tuesday December 31

I'm kinda expecting a redeem 285 get back 105 email offer to coincide (unfortunately no stacking though)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6177 posts
2018 upvotes
Montreal
Does AirMilesShops usually have multipliers on boxing day?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11826 posts
9096 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Madevilz wrote: Does AirMilesShops usually have multipliers on boxing day?
Question asked recently by @LuxErus and answered by @beaugeo
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/air-mile ... #p31866753

Personally, I don’t remember 20x (more like 5x or 10x)
As NOTHING EVER COMPARES to Black Friday in my book
But then ... maybe it’s just a case of I don’t do much post Christmas bargain hunt shopping

For what it’s worth...
No info on the AMShops website so far
And no HEADS UP Email from AMs either
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
11716 posts
3663 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: One final redeem 95 get back 25 promo for the year at Metro but runs SIX days from Thursday December 26 to Tuesday December 31
Redeem 95 get back 25 weekend at Rexall this weekend (Fri to Sun)
Dec 28, 2014
85 posts
14 upvotes
Victoria, BC
it's 10x the points for the week. plus other bonuses from other shops
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6177 posts
2018 upvotes
Montreal
mdb1983 wrote: it's 10x the points for the week. plus other bonuses from other shops
It says 10x sitewide, but then when I click on a store, it only says 2x. So am I getting base pts x 2 x 10?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1026 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
Madevilz wrote: It says 10x sitewide, but then when I click on a store, it only says 2x. So am I getting base pts x 2 x 10?
You get Base
+ Base x2 - Base
+ Base x 10 - Base

So $100 purchase at 2x with 10x would be:
Base: 5 AM
2x: 5 AM
10x: 45

Total 55 AM = ~$6 or about 6% cashback.