Shopping Discussion

Air Miles 2019 (General Discussion Thread)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2019 8:18 am
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2513 posts
103 upvotes
For the $150 spend at partners for the BMO offer, wonder if gift cards will be ok....nothing mentioned in the T&C that I could see. Thinking of stocking up at metro w/ a few GCs.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9971 posts
7255 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smuncky wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:24 pm
For the $150 spend at partners for the BMO offer, wonder if gift cards will be ok....nothing mentioned in the T&C that I could see. Thinking of stocking up at metro w/ a few GCs.
Ya I am thinking this too...

Should be no problem... BMO is only going to be looking for AMs PARTNER Names
So that GCs are going to be a worthwhile buy
Be it Sobey’s Group Cards at a Sobey’s Store
Or whatever my local Shell has in stock

Nice thing about buying at Shell, is you can EARN AirMiles on GCs... 1 Miles / $ 10
As long as it isn’t a GC for Shell
(Buy GCs for other AMs Partners, and you can earn again when you use the GC)
Feb 11, 2015
159 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:05 am
Nice thing about buying at Shell, is you can EARN AirMiles on GCs... 1 Miles / $ 10
Just to note, that at Shell you only get 1 AM / $10 for the first $100 of the transaction, ie. 10 AMs is the max per receipt. So if you buy a $150 gift card (or multiple smaller ones totaling $150), you only get 10 AMs, not 15 AMs, which works out to 1 AM / $15 for the BMO offer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9971 posts
7255 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
nightshademi wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:34 am
Just to note, that at Shell you only get 1 AM / $10 for the first $100 of the transaction, ie. 10 AMs is the max per receipt. So if you buy a $150 gift card (or multiple smaller ones totaling $150), you only get 10 AMs, not 15 AMs, which works out to 1 AM / $15 for the BMO offer.
Thanks for that
I learned something new
Oct 29, 2018
257 posts
131 upvotes
Does the bmo am offer only work on non elite card? Like if I have am we card, am I shit outta luck?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9971 posts
7255 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
trmc604 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 3:50 pm
Does the bmo am offer only work on non elite card? Like if I have am we card, am I shit outta luck?
Did you even bother to READ the Offer ?

https://bonusboom.airmiles.ca/en/home

Everything is very clear on the T&Cs
What Cards qualify, what Transactions count etc

BUT do remember to OPT IN / Register your AirMiles Card # by February 17th *

* NOTE - as with all BMO AMs Offers, the AMs # you register has to match the one associated with the BMO AMs CC you plan to use
Oct 29, 2018
257 posts
131 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Did you even bother to READ the Offer ?

https://bonusboom.airmiles.ca/en/home

Everything is very clear on the T&Cs
What Cards qualify, what Transactions count etc

BUT do remember to OPT IN / Register your AirMiles Card # by February 17th *

* NOTE - as with all BMO AMs Offers, the AMs # you register has to match the one associated with the BMO AMs CC you plan to use
Sorry but I’m dyslexic and have a learning and reading disability.
Feb 11, 2015
159 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto, ON
trmc604 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 5:07 pm
Sorry but I’m dyslexic and have a learning and reading disability.
In that case:
Eligible credit cards include: BMO®† AIR MILES® Mastercard®*, BMO®† AIR MILES® World Mastercard®*, BMO®† AIR MILES® World Elite®* Mastercard®*, BMO®† AIR MILES® Mastercard®* for Business, BMO®† Gold AIR MILES® Mastercard®* for Business, BMO®† AIR MILES® Business Mastercard®*, BMO®† AIR MILES® No-Fee Business Mastercard®*, BMO®† SPC®‡ AIR MILES® Mastercard®*, Shell®** AIR MILES® World Mastercard®* from BMO®†, Shell®** AIR MILES® Mastercard®* from BMO®†, BMO®† Sobeys AIR MILES® Mastercard®*, BMO®† IGA AIR MILES® Mastercard®*. Offer can only be used once per AIR MILES® Collector Number. The same AIR MILES credit card must be used for purchases during the promotional period in order to qualify for this offer.
Oct 29, 2018
257 posts
131 upvotes
nightshademi wrote: In that case:
Eligible credit cards include: BMO®† AIR MILES® Mastercard®*, BMO®† AIR MILES® World Mastercard®*, BMO®† AIR MILES® World Elite®* Mastercard®*, BMO®† AIR MILES® Mastercard®* for Business, BMO®† Gold AIR MILES® Mastercard®* for Business, BMO®† AIR MILES® Business Mastercard®*, BMO®† AIR MILES® No-Fee Business Mastercard®*, BMO®† SPC®‡ AIR MILES® Mastercard®*, Shell®** AIR MILES® World Mastercard®* from BMO®†, Shell®** AIR MILES® Mastercard®* from BMO®†, BMO®† Sobeys AIR MILES® Mastercard®*, BMO®† IGA AIR MILES® Mastercard®*. Offer can only be used once per AIR MILES® Collector Number. The same AIR MILES credit card must be used for purchases during the promotional period in order to qualify for this offer.
Thank you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9971 posts
7255 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:05 am
Ya I am thinking this too...

Should be no problem... BMO is only going to be looking for AMs PARTNER Names
So that GCs are going to be a worthwhile buy
Be it Sobey’s Group Cards at a Sobey’s Store
Or whatever my local Shell has in stock

As long as it isn’t a GC for Shell
(Buy GCs for other AMs Partners, and you can earn again when you use the GC)
AIRMILES BONUS BOOM EVENT
February 14th thru 17th

Here’s a good one for ONTARIO RESIDENTS

Metro Grocery Stores
$ 100 Apple App Store & iTunes Gift Cards
Buy February 14th thru 17th and earn 125 BAMs

Would definitely help anyone looking to make progress on the BMO AMs MC Challenge
Of Spending $ 150 at AirMiles Local Partners

See Metro Flyer of Feb 14th, and the AMs Bonus Boom website’s for more info
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
1063 posts
938 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 4:49 am
AIRMILES BONUS BOOM EVENT
February 14th thru 17th

Here’s a good one for ONTARIO RESIDENTS

Metro Grocery Stores
$ 100 Apple App Store & iTunes Gift Cards
Buy February 14th thru 17th and earn 125 BAMs

Would definitely help anyone looking to make progress on the BMO AMs MC Challenge
Of Spending $ 150 at AirMiles Local Partners

See Metro Flyer of Feb 14th, and the AMs Bonus Boom website’s for more info
Ah PointsHubby, I just posted on Gift Card Deals thread and was going to post here and of course, you've already posted lol

I can contribute a screenshot from Flipp to your post, for those who like to see the visual image too :)
Images
  • Screenshot_20190213-093916.png
Oct 29, 2018
257 posts
131 upvotes
Did anybody receive a second up to 100 bonus air mile offer from shell? I received one this morning and when I tried to send the text, it said sorry only one offer per phone number.
Nov 11, 2016
908 posts
617 upvotes
Halifax
Is there anyone from the Forum who is going to the Calgary event tomorrow night ? Wine tasting ?
Or has been to an event in the new year ?
A fan of RFD
Mar 12, 2011
223 posts
200 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm really disappointed with airmiles valuation of my points for the flights I'm checking. They value 8000 miles anywhere between $500 and $620 to cover the cost of my flight. Compared to how cash miles are converted at 95 = $10 this is way off. Is this standard for flights or do I have to search off-season to find a better value?

I haven't reached onyx level if that will greatly affect that conversion.

I'm also not a fan of having only Lufthansa as the sole choice for flights and 2 stops forced on me. I've changed dates as well going forward a few days and back a few days. I can't find anything to reduce it to one stop on the airmiles website, but a quick check through other travel websites shows that Lufthansa forces 2 stops to my destination. Travel websites also have Austrian, LOT, Air France and KLM among many other options. Are we limited by only one or 2 airlines per destination if we use airmiles to book a flight?

The cheapest 1 stop flight I found (other travel website) is $100 cheaper, has only 1 stop and the total travel time is 13 hours compared to 21+ using 2 stop lufthansa from airmiles.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm just a few hundred points short of the 8000 points needed to book a flight. I would change my dream miles/ cash miles % for the incoming 2000 BAM (from the mega miles promo) to allow enough dream miles to be added to book a flight. I'm on the fence between using the dream miles on a flight due to the conversion rate I'm getting for points. Otherwise, I would price out the best option for merchandise and be done with dream miles.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9971 posts
7255 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
takemetothebridge wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 4:05 pm
I'm really disappointed with airmiles valuation of my points for the flights I'm checking. They value 8000 miles anywhere between $500 and $620 to cover the cost of my flight. Compared to how cash miles are converted at 95 = $10 this is way off. Is this standard for flights or do I have to search off-season to find a better value?

I haven't reached onyx level if that will greatly affect that conversion.

I'm also not a fan of having only Lufthansa as the sole choice for flights and 2 stops forced on me. I've changed dates as well going forward a few days and back a few days. I can't find anything to reduce it to one stop on the airmiles website, but a quick check through other travel websites shows that Lufthansa forces 2 stops to my destination. Travel websites also have Austrian, LOT, Air France and KLM among many other options. Are we limited by only one or 2 airlines per destination if we use airmiles to book a flight?

The cheapest 1 stop flight I found (other travel website) is $100 cheaper, has only 1 stop and the total travel time is 13 hours compared to 21+ using 2 stop lufthansa from airmiles.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm just a few hundred points short of the 8000 points needed to book a flight. I would change my dream miles/ cash miles % for the incoming 2000 BAM (from the mega miles promo) to allow enough dream miles to be added to book a flight. I'm on the fence between using the dream miles on a flight due to the conversion rate I'm getting for points. Otherwise, I would price out the best option for merchandise and be done with dream miles.
AIRMILES & FLIGHT REWARDS

It all comes down to Status.
What your ranking is with AirMiles = Basic Blue / Gold / Onyx
(As well as whether you have an AMs Credit Card)

Those elements determine, both how many flights are presented to you
As well as availability of seats on any flight

There are for example, only a few options for Blue Members ... and when they are gone ... they are gone!
More for Gold (both in number of flights & seats)
And oodles for Onyx Members

It also determines the amount of AirMiles needed to get a seat on the flights presented

If you have an AMs CC ... BMO or AMEX
Then the amount of miles drops

Overseas flights are a lower value of AirMiles to Cash than those with Cdn Based Airlines
Best rates are definitely found on short haul (Regional or Provinces next door) versus long haul flights

The absolute best availability & pricing is given on International Flights for those that are Onyx and have an AMEX AMs Reserve Card
Where the FLAT RATE exchange is 770 AMs to $ 100 CDN
(so using the Cash Miles Standard Rate of conversion ... that works out to be 77 AMs / $ 10 ... much better than the very familiar 95 AM = $ 10 for Cash Miles)

Plus the AMEX AMs Reserve Card, allows access to Business Class Seats at this same rate
As well as the ability to pay all taxes & fees as well, at this same rate

It truly is the GO TO AMs CC for anyone who travels a lot
Or has flying plans that are not going to be just here in Canada

Whenever I am looking to cash in AirMiles I also use the AirMiles Flight Calculator to look at BOTH the option of using Miles vs Money
Plugging in my dates etc, and then choosing
1 TRAVELLER on AirMiles, and
1 TRAVELLER on Cash

This reveals a lot of info, on how AirMiles is quoting the flights & costs
And a baseline to figure out what the quoted AirMiles are worth per mile / dollar on that flight

I also compare any flights I like... to what the actual airline is quoting to again see ... what’s the best deal
Is it to use my AirMiles ... or just pay cash this trip
Lastly, I am Onyx.
I have a BMO AMs CC
If you give me your flying details
I will plug them in on my account, and tell you what I find in the way of flights, availability & miles etc

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)