Shopping Discussion

Air Miles 2019 (General Discussion Thread)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 11:21 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8555 posts
2309 upvotes
maliken7576 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:26 am
Ouch...I an collecting for a Vegas trip..overseas is expensive. Best use for some merchandise..I think is 30% today if you login via broswer or wait for a 50% off.
I should have bought some Sonos speakers when they were 50% last month. They went fast.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9951 posts
7235 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:38 am
I have approximately 10,000 Dream Miles. Trying to redeem for an airline ticket to India has been a total fail, as taxes/fees are close to $700, (a ticket can be bought for $1000 otherwise for the period I am looking to go in)
Should have done some research before collecting dream miles. Any other workaround options I might have. If people use dream miles for vacations do they buy the certificates as that might be a better value?
Not every timeframe or flight leg is going to be a deal with AirMiles Dream Miles

And this IS NOT UNUSUAL ... EVERY LOYALTY PROGRAM functions this way to some extent
You got to pick your spot ... know what is a value & what isn’t

Domestic Short Hop Flights have the best value (ie Montreal to Toronto ... or Montreal to Fredericton)
Followed by Cdn Domestics (ie Toronto to Vancouver)
And then by North American Directs (ie Calgary to Las Vegas ... or Montreal to Tampa)

And best done with Cdn based Airlines like Air Canada - WestJet - Porter etc

Of course it also depends upon how far ahead you are looking to book and your status
Blue - Gold - or Onyx
As flight availability is different in each category... as well as the number of miles needed

International Flights offer the lowest value for AirMiles Dream Miles... more so if you are needing to use a carrier that is not Cdn

You might want to consider getting the Amex AirMiles Reserve CC if you are in need of an International Flight
With Flex Fly... it Offers a straight miles to dollars conversion rate of 770 AMs = $ 100
It also lets you pay fees & taxes with your Miles
And you also have access to seating beyond just Economy
(Only way to use AMs to get these categories)
Plus the added benefit of Discounted Companion Fares once per year

For more info... see the AMEX CC website
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... -LearnMore

PS... Travel Certificates (ala Transat Distribution Canada - TDC) are no longer being offered by AirMiles
No loss ... Honestly, they were a rip off to begin with
The new kid in town for organized travel (AIs - Vacation Plgs etc) is RedTag.ca
See my OP Post # 1 and 2 in this topic back on Page 1 for more info
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8555 posts
2309 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:28 pm
Not every timeframe or flight leg is going to be a deal with AirMiles Dream Miles

And this IS NOT UNUSUAL ... EVERY LOYALTY PROGRAM functions this way to some extent
You got to pick your spot ... know what is a value & what isn’t

Domestic Short Hop Flights have the best value (ie Montreal to Toronto ... or Montreal to Fredericton)
Followed by Cdn Domestics (ie Toronto to Vancouver)
And then by North American Directs (ie Calgary to Las Vegas ... or Montreal to Tampa)

And best done with Cdn based Airlines like Air Canada - WestJet - Porter etc

Of course it also depends upon how far ahead you are looking to book and your status
Blue - Gold - or Onyx
As flight availability is different in each category... as well as the number of miles needed

International Flights offer the lowest value for AirMiles Dream Miles... more so if you are needing to use a carrier that is not Cdn

You might want to consider getting the Amex AirMiles Reserve CC if you are in need of an International Flight
With Flex Fly... it Offers a straight miles to dollars conversion rate of 770 AMs = $ 100
It also lets you pay fees & taxes with your Miles
And you also have access to seating beyond just Economy
(Only way to use AMs to get these categories)
Plus the added benefit of Discounted Companion Fares once per year

For more info... see the AMEX CC website
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... -LearnMore

PS... Travel Certificates (ala Transat Distribution Canada - TDC) are no longer being offered by AirMiles
No loss ... Honestly, they were a rip off to begin with
The new kid in town for organized travel (AIs - Vacation Plgs etc) is RedTag.ca
See my OP Post # 1 and 2 in this topic back on Page 1 for more info
Thanks for this info especially the AMEX card. Any FYF offers on that. If not the 2400 miles on spend nearly the fee and 770 for $100 is even better than the cash miles redemption of 95 for $10.
So I should be able to book on any site with the card and redeem the airmiles for that. Wonder how long it takes to get the card as I am looking to travel end of the month.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9951 posts
7235 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:46 pm
Thanks for this info especially the AMEX card. Any FYF offers on that. If not the 2400 miles on spend nearly the fee and 770 for $100 is even better than the cash miles redemption of 95 for $10.
So I should be able to book on any site with the card and redeem the airmiles for that. Wonder how long it takes to get the card as I am looking to travel end of the month.
I personally, don’t have the AMEX Reserve Card as of yet ... Plan to upgrade as I get nearer to my big Retirement Trip in the upcoming year

But all I have heard is good stuff about it (see last year’s RFD AirMiles Thread for posts by other AirMiles Points Hounds)
airmiles-2018-general-discussion-2159478/
Once there
Type - Reserve - into the SEARCH THIS THREAD Box

In the meantime, if you want answers to specifics ... I suggest that you call / contact AMEX
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9951 posts
7235 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:46 pm
PS...

I see you say you plan to travel at the end of the month
IF this is your India trip...
This is key to your failing to find a good deal with regular AirMiles & the website

Just like with cash airfare... as availability goes down, prices go up (in terms of AMs needed)

Add in the fact that it’s a case of AirMiles only having access / distributing access to so many seats per flight / route
If you are Basic / Blue Collector those are extremely limited
Gold has access to a few more
And Onyx the most

So the lower your AMs Status the fewer seats there ever are available... and the higher the cost

This is why you often hear of AMs Collectors complaining about availability
They either are Blue Basic Members, or they just are not looking far enough ahead

As I understand it, the Amex Reserve Card levels these ups & downs out a bit because no matter the ticket price, it’s always 770 AMs = $ 100 Real Life Cost

So if the ticket you want is $ 1000 all in, then the cost to you is 7700 AirMiles
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8555 posts
2309 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:16 pm
PS...

I see you say you plan to travel at the end of the month
IF this is your India trip...
This is key to your failing to find a good deal with regular AirMiles & the website

Just like with cash airfare... as availability goes down, prices go up (in terms of AMs needed)

Add in the fact that it’s a case of AirMiles only having access / distributing access to so many seats per flight / route
If you are Basic / Blue Collector those are extremely limited
Gold has access to a few more
And Onyx the most

So the lower your AMs Status the fewer seats there ever are available... and the higher the cost

This is why you often hear of AMs Collectors complaining about availability
They either are Blue Basic Members, or they just are not looking far enough ahead

As I understand it, the Amex Reserve Card levels these ups & downs out a bit because no matter the ticket price, it’s always 770 AMs = $ 100 Real Life Cost

So if the ticket you want is $ 1000 all in, then the cost to you is 7700 AirMiles
I am an Onyx collector so there is lots of availability for the miles I have, just the additional taxes are a killer.
Just going to sign up for the reserve card now and hope to get later this week as AMEX is pretty quick with sending out cards.
May 8, 2015
216 posts
134 upvotes
East York, ON
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:41 pm
I am an Onyx collector so there is lots of availability for the miles I have, just the additional taxes are a killer.
Just going to sign up for the reserve card now and hope to get later this week as AMEX is pretty quick with sending out cards.
That Reserve card has annual fee of $299! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Wouldn't you think of calling Amex to ask them to offer you at least a first year free?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8555 posts
2309 upvotes
Leasiderin wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:28 pm
That Reserve card has annual fee of $299! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Wouldn't you think of calling Amex to ask them to offer you at least a first year free?
If it saves me $600 in taxes and gets me better value for my miles, I will do it. It does have a bonus of 2400 miles which is worth around $250 as cash miles. So my net cost for the card will be $50.
Has anyone had success in getting the first year free of this card?
Jan 10, 2018
338 posts
195 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:14 pm
If it saves me $600 in taxes and gets me better value for my miles, I will do it. It does have a bonus of 2400 miles which is worth around $250 as cash miles. So my net cost for the card will be $50.
Has anyone had success in getting the first year free of this card?
Umm NO!
you get an annual companion benefit worth 1700 miles (use on domestic flights)
4 lounge passes a year (lounges in India Mumbai and dehli are great!!!)
Plus you get the sign up bonus worth $324 on flexfly which you stayed you would use instantly.
You’re already getting well over the $299 back lol
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2285 posts
1314 upvotes
montreal
bobcat99 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:41 pm
Question about thd amex reserved ...

I just booked 5 ticket for a local flight which were 1100 dream miles + 100$ taxes and other fee peach.

How does that amex card would have help toward the 500$ paid in extra fee and taxes?
May 8, 2015
216 posts
134 upvotes
East York, ON
Can someone explain which was does it work to pay the airport taxes with AM using the Reserve card?
My thinking was that it depends on the Airmiles, as soon as you redeem your AM for tickets through their website, and not on the credit card that you pay with?
Or does the Reserve card reimburse the amount of taxes that the cardholder pays?
May 8, 2015
216 posts
134 upvotes
East York, ON
With a Reserve AMEX CC, it might be not easy to spend $3000 in the first 3 months, as many Canadian merchants do not accept AMEX...
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2285 posts
1314 upvotes
montreal
superbigjay wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:20 am
Question about thd amex reserved ...

I just booked 5 ticket for a local flight which were 1100 dream miles + 100$ taxes and other fee peach.

How does that amex card would have help toward the 500$ paid in extra fee and taxes?
Leasiderin wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 8:11 am
Can someone explain which was does it work to pay the airport taxes with AM using the Reserve card?
My thinking was that it depends on the Airmiles, as soon as you redeem your AM for tickets through their website, and not on the credit card that you pay with?
Or does the Reserve card reimburse the amount of taxes that the cardholder pays?
I had a look at the fine prints and also at my reservation I just made last weekend (using BMO world elite AM MC).

5 tickets from Montreal (YUL) to Iles-De-La-Madeleines (YGR)

AirMiles : 1400 AM - 15% (BMO) = 1190 AM
Cash : 109 (14$ security + 30$ airport taxes + 36$ Fuel and other extras + 14$ GST/PST + 15$ reservation fee).

Total : 5950 AM + 545$

If I also had that Amex Reserved card, I would have save the 5x15$ reservation fee (75$).
Making the cost 5950AM + 470$

Then, I could have used my AirMiles to pay for that 470$.
I believe the rate is 7AM per dollar, so I could have used 3290 dream airmiles to pay for the 470$ of taxes and extra fee.

Other benefits that I would get is a companion filght : I would get back 1190 AM (price of 1 ticket).
And also 4 passes for the VIP lounge.
May 8, 2015
216 posts
134 upvotes
East York, ON
superbigjay wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:16 am

Then, I could have used my AirMiles to pay for that 470$.
I believe the rate is 7AM per dollar, so I could have used 3290 dream airmiles to pay for the 470$ of taxes and extra fee.
This step is not very clear to me. What would you have to do in order to pay for the $470 of taxes and extra fee?
Would you have to resort to 'personal shopper' option?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8555 posts
2309 upvotes
Tommycoupons wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:24 am
Umm NO!
you get an annual companion benefit worth 1700 miles (use on domestic flights)
4 lounge passes a year (lounges in India Mumbai and dehli are great!!!)
Plus you get the sign up bonus worth $324 on flexfly which you stayed you would use instantly.
You’re already getting well over the $299 back lol
In my case I have the AMEX platinum business card, so I have more than the 4 passes this card comes with plus I have the BMO WE Air Miles card which has the companion ticket which is not limited to 1700 so covered there too.
The Flex fly is the main benefit for me here, saves me a bunch and would allow me to use all my dream miles.
Thanks to @PointsHubby for bringing this card up and you for replying to my PM and answering the questions I had.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Kesali