Shopping Discussion

Air Miles 2019 (General Discussion Thread)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 11:21 am
Nov 23, 2018
85 posts
56 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:42 pm
Definitely cheaper for me, where I am in Eastern Ontario vs Costco
Where I have bought these large jugs previously

Cannot speak to other stores, or areas of Canada
So YMMV
Thanks, I am sure this might be the case...I will do a sanity check at Costco but the AM is high so Sobeys it is.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9951 posts
7235 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
maliken7576 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:46 pm
Thanks, I am sure this might be the case...I will do a sanity check at Costco but the AM is high so Sobeys it is.
No worries... I did one for you ala Costco.ca
(See my edited reply for link)

Instore at Costco I seem to recall thinking $ 20 to $ 24 was a decent price
(And Instore you can buy them one at a time)

With this Sobey’s deal... and 100 BAMs, I will find / make room for a second jug
Aug 12, 2006
345 posts
115 upvotes
Leasiderin wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:21 am
This step is not very clear to me. What would you have to do in order to pay for the $470 of taxes and extra fee?
Would you have to resort to 'personal shopper' option?
I have the Reserve card, when I look at flight bookings on the AirMiles website it gives me the option to pay the taxes or redeem additional air miles to cover them.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9951 posts
7235 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sea wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 4:14 pm
I have the Reserve card, when I look at flight bookings on the AirMiles website it gives me the option to pay the taxes or redeem additional air miles to cover them.
Thanks @Sea
I did not know that
Jul 6, 2018
332 posts
607 upvotes
I read through the thread, but I'm still not sure about something. If I have BMO world elite airmiles card, and I'm also an Onyx member, do the discounts stack? Like 40% + 15% = 55% fewer airmiles needed to fly? I'm airmiles noob, and have been a member for 2 months.
Jan 10, 2018
338 posts
195 upvotes
poopooplatter wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:57 pm
I read through the thread, but I'm still not sure about something. If I have BMO world elite airmiles card, and I'm also an Onyx member, do the discounts stack? Like 40% + 15% = 55% fewer airmiles needed to fly? I'm airmiles noob, and have been a member for 2 months.
Nope and good luck finding a 40% off flight!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2285 posts
1314 upvotes
montreal
poopooplatter wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:57 pm
Tommycoupons wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:12 am
Nope and good luck finding a 40% off flight!
this is exactly what I was about to say...

They advertised some 40% rebate flight on their main page, but all the flights I was looking for were not reduced, thus only 15% for the BMO.
Jul 6, 2018
332 posts
607 upvotes
superbigjay wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:00 am
this is exactly what I was about to say...

They advertised some 40% rebate flight on their main page, but all the flights I was looking for were not reduced, thus only 15% for the BMO.
And which I just noticed is only for North America flights..., so kinda useless for me personally. I didn't realize how difficult (or how expensive it was) to book overseas flights until just now. Is getting the Amex Reserve card the only way to truly get good value for your points? I only started to seriously collect miles because I almost exclusively use Metro and Shell, but now it seems like any of those cash back cards give you much better value at gas and groceries.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8555 posts
2309 upvotes
poopooplatter wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:34 am
And which I just noticed is only for North America flights..., so kinda useless for me personally. I didn't realize how difficult (or how expensive it was) to book overseas flights until just now. Is getting the Amex Reserve card the only way to truly get good value for your points? I only started to seriously collect miles because I almost exclusively use Metro and Shell, but now it seems like any of those cash back cards give you much better value at gas and groceries.
For overseas travel the Reserve is the only way to go, I exhausted all avenues before deciding on that route. As I mentioned previously you can use a referral for an additional 600 miles on the reserve card.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9951 posts
7235 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
poopooplatter wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:34 am
With ANY Loyalty Program it is about truly knowing as much as you can about the ins & outs
To optimize both Earns & Redemptions

The first rule ... be it AirMiles or any other
(say PCO which offers a lot of the same Earn categories ... Groceries, Drugstore, Gas)
Is not to overspend
So don’t just spend for the sake of Miles / Points
And optimally organize your spending to take advantage of BOTH great Pricing & Miles / Points

So ya, it might make no sense to go to Shell to earn 10 BAMs for a fill up
(10 Miles Value = approximately $ 1.05 based on the 95 AMs = $ 10)
If the price of gas at Shell works out to be considerably higher per litre than your nearby Costco, Esso, Petro Canada etc

Then again...
If you have an AirMiles sponsored Cents Off Per Litre Coupon from the Sobey’s Group
Then it might be extremely worth while

Or if you are looking to complete an Offer or Partner Challenge for one of the Annual AMs BIG BONUS Events
(Shop the Block - MegaMiles - or Pack to School)
Where the end game is 1000 or 2000 Bonus Miles

Same with Redemptions...
Ya gotta figure out what works for you personally
There is no right or wrong
Just what fits best
Be that Flights (International or Domestic... or a mix)
Vacation Pkgs
Car Rentals
Hotels
Experiences / Events
Merchandise
Or Cash Miles for Cash Off or Vouchers

Combining with an AMs CC is one way to leverage your position
For sure the AMs associated Credit Cards Offer up not only Earn miles but also Redemption Benefits
That maximize either end of the equation
But even then, some are better than others ... be it by level ... ie BMO Basic Blue vs World Gold vs World Elite Black
Or by how you use them...
BMO Cards are better earners, and AMEX better for redeeming
Dec 31, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Can I pay deposit for a vacation with card and use air miles closer to date to help with remainder. Expecting a lot of miles in near future
Jul 6, 2018
332 posts
607 upvotes
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess Airmiles makes the most sense, since I'm within a 5 minute walk to a Metro, Shell, and a Sobeys. Don't need to change my buying habits to cash in on those big bonus offers, and already spend about 2500$/month on my credit card. Just need to figure out now how to spend those 10,000 airmiles.
Mar 14, 2018
37 posts
39 upvotes
RickM22317 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:26 pm
Can I pay deposit for a vacation with card and use air miles closer to date to help with remainder. Expecting a lot of miles in near future
found this on the booking site:

Can I use Miles to pay for my deposit?
No, you can’t use Miles to pay for your deposit or for your administration fee. You can, however, pay for your deposit using your credit card and apply Dream Miles in increments of 909 Miles at the time of booking. Please note that you can’t use Miles to pay for any outstanding balance later on.

you could always wait and find a last minute deal.
Mar 14, 2018
37 posts
39 upvotes
where do I access the referral? thinking about getting this card for awhile. Maybe now is the time.
May 8, 2015
216 posts
134 upvotes
East York, ON
Just raided Sobeys for $120 and 320 AM for another family collector.
And later one more visit for my own account. 347 AM. Pretty much good deal.
Hope those Tide liquid laundry detergents are good for hand wash. Sobeys also has the same for cold water, on same price and AM conditions.

They gave me two coupons 5 cents off per litre on a fuel at Shell locations. No need for that, will get rid of it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)