79 upvotes
North York

Air Miles Shops - 25x Miles Event

Deal Link:
Expiry:
March 22, 2017
Retailer:
Air Miles

Similar to the event back in December 2016, but now increased to 25 times the miles!

What is the actual cashback? Using the cash miles ratio, each mile is worth 10.5c.

If you buy $40 worth of items on Amazon.ca, you get 50 miles.

50 miles * 10.5 cents = $5.25

$5.25 / $40 = 13.125% cash back!!!

My example above only included Amazon.ca which didn't have any 2x, 3x, 5x multiplier so the value is increased for many other shops (e.g. 3x for Ebay.ca).

Even if you disapprove of Air Miles after the whole expiry fiasco, these kind of events aren't that bad if you're 100% into cash miles -- you know exactly what your return is.

_____

A great reminder by lcmt on reading the terms and conditions! Here's the one for Amazon:
Remember there is restriction. Not all categories qualify for AM. Also, you need to spend multiple of $20 in order to maximize the return.

"Please note: AIR MILES® reward miles will not be earned on Amazon Gift Cards, Books, eBooks, Groceries, Automotive supplies, Tools & Home Improvement, books, or Kindle devices or Kindle eBooks."
Last edited by neverless on Mar 16th, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
54 replies
Sep 14, 2015
550 posts
296 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
thanks a lot!
13% cash back for Amazon is a lot, great deal
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2609 posts
2803 upvotes
Remember there is restriction. Not all categories qualify for AM. Also, you need to spend multiple of $20 in order to maximize the return. Basically, it is not every $1 you spend will earn AM

"Please note: AIR MILES® reward miles will not be earned on Amazon Gift Cards, Books, eBooks, Groceries, Automotive supplies, Tools & Home Improvement, books, or Kindle devices or Kindle eBooks."

jackfollow wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:34 pm
thanks a lot!
13% cash back for Amazon is a lot, great deal
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9671 posts
2166 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
I ordered an iPhone back when they had their 20X multiplier last year. Got the base miles quickly but still haven't seen the bonus miles. Last communication from them was that they need to get in touch the retailer to confirm the purchase, which is unbelievably stupid. They know what store I shopped at, when I shopped, how much I spent and that I was logged into airmilesshops.ca. I know they know all this and they know they know all this because they issued the base miles based on all of that. But somehow, they need to get this information again from the retailer to confirm information that already have.

As of this week, they say it will be at least another 4-6 week for them to get the info. So far it has been: wait 75 from purchase date to even be allowed to inquire about missing miles. Once you submit the inquiry, you get a form email saying they will get back to you in two weeks. After 2 weeks, almost to the day, the write and ask you to submit all of the info (collector #, name, retailer, date, amount, receipt, etc). Once you reply, you get another form email say they'll get back to you in 2 weeks. After two weeks, they get back to say they received your info and to wait another 2 weeks to hear back from them about opening an investigation. Then after all those weeks/months, they finally respond and say "OK we opened a ticket with our back office team. They will get in touch with the retailer. We anticipate this will take 4-6 weeks." Ironically, in the middle of all of this, I received the mass mailing from Blair Cameron apologizing for AirMiles dropping the ball (I assume about the expiry fiasco) and promising to do better with service from now on.

Starting to think bonus airmiles, at least big multipliers on big purchases, are a bit of a scam. I am sure they expect that if they delay, delay, delay, people will give up and forget about the lost miles.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2609 posts
2803 upvotes
In the past, if you got the base miles, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the bonus miles although you may need to wait for 1 to 3 months. The bonus should be automatic deposit in your account since they already recognized your transaction. In your case, I believe there is setup issue between Apple store and Airmiles.

I complain to them 2 years ago about the information/form requesting the missing miles. Since I send the receipt which has all the information, I have no idea why they need me to write all the same information again in text format.

ceredon wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:58 pm
I ordered an iPhone back when they had their 20X multiplier last year. Got the base miles quickly but still haven't seen the bonus miles. Last communication from them was that they need to get in touch the retailer to confirm the purchase, which is unbelievably stupid. They know what store I shopped at, when I shopped, how much I spent and that I was logged into airmilesshops.ca. I know they know all this and they know they know all this because they issued the base miles based on all of that. But somehow, they need to get this information again from the retailer to confirm information that already have.

As of this week, they say it will be at least another 4-6 week for them to get the info. So far it has been: wait 75 from purchase date to even be allowed to inquire about missing miles. Once you submit the inquiry, you get a form email saying they will get back to you in two weeks. After 2 weeks, almost to the day, the write and ask you to submit all of the info (collector #, name, retailer, date, amount, receipt, etc). Once you reply, you get another form email say they'll get back to you in 2 weeks. After two weeks, they get back to say they received your info and to wait another 2 weeks to hear back from them about opening an investigation. Then after all those weeks/months, they finally respond and say "OK we opened a ticket with our back office team. They will get in touch with the retailer. We anticipate this will take 4-6 weeks." Ironically, in the middle of all of this, I received the mass mailing from Blair Cameron apologizing for AirMiles dropping the ball (I assume about the expiry fiasco) and promising to do better with service from now on.

Starting to think bonus airmiles, at least big multipliers on big purchases, are a bit of a scam. I am sure they expect that if they delay, delay, delay, people will give up and forget about the lost miles.
Last edited by lcmt on Mar 16th, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 25, 2013
252 posts
38 upvotes
Stay away from Airmiles. I used to be a very loyal customer, checking out my account balance every day. Then two years ago I realized that it is such a joke given how slow they post your miles, especially for online shopping. It is just a joking business.
May 19, 2011
5 posts
1 upvote
CHATHAM
I'm actually undergoing the exact same problem - except I didn't even get base miles. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement. Everything takes 2 weeks. Apparently I'm finally being sent to the "escalation team". Annoying though, because we're talking 2000 air miles!

Hopefully I end up getting them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9671 posts
2166 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
lcmt wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 4:10 pm
In the past, if you got the base miles, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the bonus miles although you may need to wait for 1 to 3 months. The bonus should be automatic deposit in your account since they already recognized your transaction. In your case, I believe there is setup issue between Amazon and Airmiles.

I complain to them 2 years ago about the information/form requesting the missing miles. Since I send the receipt which has all the information, I have no idea why they need me to write all the same information again in text format.
The funny part is that late last year I was reading complaints about Airmiles scamming people out of bonus miles by adding months and months of ridiculous delays. Since I hadn't seen such delays before I just brushed it off. Turns out, it is 100% correct. And their staff are so dim. I get that they have to read off of a script that says to delay, but when I explain to them that it makes no sense to ask me for info they already have nor to have to go to the retailer to ask for info they already have, they just say "well, that's the way it is, sorry you'll just have to wait". In other words, there is no reason for the delay, but they have to add the delay. Scam.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3727 posts
499 upvotes
Regina
they devalue the airmiles so much soon there will be 100x airmiles events
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1131 posts
250 upvotes
Edmonton
Combine this with the 3 hr $100 ebay gift card sale! $10 coupon code: PBUYGIFTCARDS
Jul 31, 2014
109 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto, ON
acekiller wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:20 pm
Combine this with the 3 hr $100 ebay gift card sale! $10 coupon code: PBUYGIFTCARDS
No gift cards...

Please be aware of the eligibility requirements on purchases made from eBay:

1. AIR MILES® reward miles are only earned on legitimate Winning Bid or "Buy It Now" transactions in eligible categories. The following categories are not eligible for reward miles: eBay Motors (including Vehicles, Motorcycles, Boats, and Powersports; excluding Parts & Accessories), any form of Real Estate, all Gift Cards, Bullion, and Heavy Equipment within the Business & Industrial category.

2. AIR MILES® reward miles will not be earned on transactions placed with a bid sniping service/tool.
Jun 30, 2016
12 posts
Okay, so if I spent 600$ on an iphone, do I get 30 base miles plus 30*25 bonus miles?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9671 posts
2166 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
urover wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:43 pm
Okay, so if I spent 600$ on an iphone, do I get 30 base miles plus 30*25 bonus miles?
As long as apple.ca is a qualifying retailer, yes. That's what I did so be prepared to wait and wait and wait.
Mar 11, 2004
552 posts
56 upvotes
Quebec City
acekiller wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:20 pm
Gift cards are excluded, though.