Tags:
None
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1230 posts
634 upvotes
Montreal
AIR MILES Cash allows you to instantly redeem the reward miles in your AIR MILES CASH balance towards everyday purchases at participating Sponsor locations. As always, you can redeem for Dream rewards like travel, merchandise and more using the reward miles in your Dream balance.

__

Once you have accumulated 95 reward miles in your AIR MILES Cash balance you will be able to redeem instantly at participating Sponsor Locations (95 Reward Miles = $10)

(read that : https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/EarnRatioCol)
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22600 posts
4434 upvotes
Waterloo
Google?

Visit Air Miles FAQ?

note: you CANNOT transfer between CASH and DREAM miles (very annoying), so choose carefully, you can set the split % (100% cash, or 50-50, or 100% dream, or any mixed ratio )
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2003
1322 posts
90 upvotes
I think the cash rewards work out to be pretty damn crappy...?

Wonder what's the best use for airmiles I have some just never used lol
Rogers
$35 Unlimited Local Calling
$30 6GB Data
$10 Retention VP (2500sms/CID/VM)
$75 + GRRF 2.13 + 5% GST = $80.99 :|
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2386 posts
1037 upvotes
Air Miles 'Cash' is nice because the value of each AM is fixed... 95AM for $10 means each AM is worth 10.526c/each. Sometimes there are "redeem 95AM and get 25AM back" type promotions which increase the effective value of each AM too.

Take a look at 'Dream' rewards and figure out what the value per AM works out to be. The people that redeem for magazines and flights find 'Dream' rewards better. For mostly everyone else, 'Cash' is better.
Mar 21, 2008
312 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary
How many AIR MILES do you normally earn?

If you area serious collector and you have a BMO AIR MILES World MasterCard and regularly shop sponsors such as Safeway and Shell, and accumulate a thousand or more AIR MILES a year, you should send 100% of your AIR MILES to Dream and redeem for a flight. That is where you get your best value, especially with the 25% discount on required AIR MILES flights you get with the BMO AIR MILES World MasterCard.

If you are a casual collector and only collect a few miles here and there, you should send your AIR MILES 100% to Cash. Yes, the return is less, but it is still better than redeeming for merchandise and you only need 95 AIR MILES to get $10 to redeem at a sponsor. AIR MILES expire after 5 years from the end of the quarter from which they were earned (ex. we are now in Q4, AIR MILES earned today (October 2, 2014) will expire December 31, 2019) so you may not be able to get enough for a flight (1,200+) within 5 years. Merchandise rewards give you THE WORST value out there at around 7 or 8 cents per mile. AIR MILES Cash is 10.5 cents per mile at least.
May 28, 2012
10302 posts
2444 upvotes
Saskatoon
Now that Costco is accepting MC, I will be accumulating a few more Airmiles, but I would never go out of my way to get them. It's been a pretty useless program for me since I never can get a flight when I want. It's marginally better now with the two tiered redemption schedule but you have to spend a lot more points to get those flights.

I have mine set for dream rewards...cash rewards would be a good idea if you like using it for groceries and now Sobey's is taking AM's too.