Shopping Discussion

Air Miles Dream Miles - soon to expire after 5 years | update: no longer expring

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2017 12:45 am
Tags:
None
Nov 1, 2003
634 posts
99 upvotes
Cnsultnt wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 2:48 pm
An Air Mile used to be worth 20+ cents. Now it is 10 or less. Over 10K 'dream' miles that was supposed to pay for a dream trip gone, I'm mostly cashed out now on overpriced merch.
If you redeem for travel, it can still be worth 20c plus. In order to rid myself quickly of AM before devaluation, I booked a Hilton stay in Orlando and also a flight with Porter for skiing. Both were redeemed at a value of around 20c so I'm happy I was able to use my points and for a good rate. I actually prefer dream miles over cash miles because of this, but I like to travel a lot.
Nov 7, 2008
92 posts
9 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 12:04 pm
Mine still hasn't shipped even though they gave me the BS story of being in the shipping stage. Anyone here still trying to redeem for something after the removal of the expiry? I am but the website is super slow and same old crap as before, nothing new but that doesn't surprise me. If they want us to burn up our AM, the smart thing to do is make everything available for everyone to see, it's a no brainer. But, they are too stupid to realize this.
I am currently on hold at the 3 hour mark to get someone to refund my points on an item that I ordered back in September. They like to do the pass around pushing you from department to department.. if there's even different CS departments.....??? Mines' been in the 'ready to ship stage' for 12 weeks according to them.

I'm currently being told that the wait time is between 11 to 17 minutes.... and no joke 5 minutes before that it said the wait time was 12-16 minutes.... its a mind f*ck... lol
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3603 posts
622 upvotes
Alberta
Don't even bother, you're wasting your time. They won't refund, exchange or cancel your order. I already chatted with them 2x and called them once on my order from October. They keep saying that it is in the shipping stage and can't be cancelled. Total BS. That's from last Thursday it still hasn't shipped.
Nov 7, 2008
92 posts
9 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 2:21 pm
Don't even bother, you're wasting your time. They won't refund, exchange or cancel your order. I already chatted with them 2x and called them once on my order from October. They keep saying that it is in the shipping stage and can't be cancelled. Total BS. That's from last Thursday it still hasn't shipped.
Oh I agree they will keep telling you that, this is the 4th day i've called, and every time i've asked to be put through to a "supervisor" because someone can cancel this order.... They are hemorrhaging money because everyone spent those miles and are probably trying to do the same thing I want to...

You know how i said i was on hold, and the wait time was 11-17 minutes, it changed to 11-16 minutes...

Here's a bit of news after you are on hold for 30+ minutes they no longer tell you how long the wait is... BECAUSE its an eternity .... seriously still on hold... lol
Sep 26, 2011
58 posts
27 upvotes
denntol wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 2:57 pm
They are hemorrhaging money because everyone spent those miles
I doubt they're losing money. This whole failed expiry date exercise was merely an attempt at further profit taking, above and beyond everything they've normally done for the past 24 years.

Today's laugh: more lies.
Dear AIR MILES® Collector,

Due to popular demand, the Reward you have selected is taking longer to ship than we’d like. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.
We are making every attempt, but cannot guarantee, that your reward, redeemed before December 2, will be delivered in time for the holidays.
We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
The AIR MILES Customer Care Team
Bravo, LoyaltyNONE. Way to keep sending a consistent non-committal message to customers. Amidst all your fulfillment house bumbling, at least you can maintain a charade of business continuity! Neutral Face
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
410 upvotes
Ottawa
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 2:21 pm
Shipping stage? Got a tracking number?
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10773 posts
1298 upvotes
Edmonton
This reeks of a pending bankruptcy/shutdown.

I wonder if loyaltyone is unhappy with the profitability of the airmiles model now, and when the recent complications with their plans to expire miles faltered they have decided to pull the plug without telling anyone yet.

At least our disneyworld passes showed up already along with a couple of other items ordered last week, that's a good chunk of the miles we redeemed.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2876 posts
2958 upvotes
I believe Airmiles may add some rules similar to inactive account if general devaluation will cause big impact to the business.

Now, if your account is inactive for 24 consecutive months, then you need to pay 15 cents to recover each points. Similarly, AM may add this fee to those people who were not redeem the miles for 5 years, 6 years, etc .... Remember the removing of expiry dates will not eliminate the rules for inactive account.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10800 posts
3515 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
lcmt wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 7:08 am
I believe Airmiles may add some rules similar to inactive account if general devaluation will cause big impact to the business.
This is what Aeroplan and other frequent flyer programs do. AP is 12 months. AAdvantage is 2 years. (I've kept an AA account active for over a decade even though I haven't flown on AA during that period.) Essentially any activity is enough to reset the timer, e.g. with AP buy something at Home Hardware or gas at Esso. This is also implicitly allowed by the legislation.
Now, if your account is inactive for 24 consecutive months, then you need to pay 15 cents to recover each points. Similarly, AM may add this fee to those people who were not redeem the miles for 5 years, 6 years, etc .... Remember the removing of expiry dates will not eliminate the rules for inactive account.
I doubt AM would try a stunt like that, i.e. charging extra fees to people who accumulate miles over several years. Their nose has been badly bloodied by the media. I doubt they'd want to go through anything like that again. Instead, be prepared to see both Cash and Dream miles devalued. The "good" news may be that, without being able to expire miles, AM may now introduce more stuff for us to redeem. This will get all those dormant miles off their books. But even if they do that there may not be any bargains since we'll be paying for that stuff with devalued AMs.

There are other games they can play, e.g. charging cash for shipping and handling of merchandise. I wouldn't put that beneath them.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2876 posts
2958 upvotes
General devaluation will only work for short term period. Unless the devaluation is very small %, customer will not satisfy and AM will still be attacked by the media. In a long term, customer will have trouble to redeem, especially the high value item, if the devaluation % is large every year. For example, considering to redeem an item worth 2000 miles this year and you almost accumulate enough points by year end. Suddenly, an increases of 10% to 2200 miles at the beginning of next year, then customers have to spend more in order to achieve the same redemption level. If you are a customer seeing this situation, you will start to lose interest on the program. You can see other program from Shoppersdrug, Loblaws, etc ... will only increase the value of redemption level occasionally. Definitely the devaluation cannot be done every year or AM wants to kill the business.

Theoretically, the cost is generated by the members who don't use the points for long period of time, in a long run, the devaluation should ONLY impact to this subset of members, or specifically the points haven't been used for a period of time for a good business model.
bylo wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 8:13 am
This is what Aeroplan and other frequent flyer programs do. AP is 12 months. AAdvantage is 2 years. (I've kept an AA account active for over a decade even though I haven't flown on AA during that period.) Essentially any activity is enough to reset the timer, e.g. with AP buy something at Home Hardware or gas at Esso. This is also implicitly allowed by the legislation.

I doubt AM would try a stunt like that, i.e. charging extra fees to people who accumulate miles over several years. Their nose has been badly bloodied by the media. I doubt they'd want to go through anything like that again. Instead, be prepared to see both Cash and Dream miles devalued. The "good" news may be that, without being able to expire miles, AM may now introduce more stuff for us to redeem. This will get all those dormant miles off their books. But even if they do that there may not be any bargains since we'll be paying for that stuff with devalued AMs.

There are other games they can play, e.g. charging cash for shipping and handling of merchandise. I wouldn't put that beneath them.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14791 posts
18641 upvotes
ONTARIO
For those of you that have ordered and received rewards, do you remember what the return address was? Was it a 3rd party fulfillment agency or was it from LoyaltyOne in Toronto?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
2252 posts
3148 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
BobSagget wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 8:33 pm
For those of you that have ordered and received rewards, do you remember what the return address was? Was it a 3rd party fulfillment agency or was it from LoyaltyOne in Toronto?
Mine was from:

Air Miles
470 Hardy Rd
Brantford ON
N3V6T1

519-751-2227

Note: address lookup shows as the Marco Corporation, a fulfillment company for loyalty companies.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2876 posts
2958 upvotes
http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... -cut-costs

It seems Sobeys earning is indirectly hurt by the Airmiles program. I think Sobeys is either stop using the Airmiles program or the person, who introduces those stupid ideas to the Airmiles program lately, needs to step down from the management/decision-making position. Otherwise, I'm not confident with the program at all as that person is really trying to SCAM customers in all possible directions.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10800 posts
3515 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
lcmt wrote:
Dec 17th, 2016 10:45 am
I think Sobeys is either stop using the Airmiles program or the person, who introduces those stupid ideas to the Airmiles program lately, needs to step down from the management/decision-making position.
Worse, until a couple of years ago Sobey participated in Aeroplan. They decided to switch to Air Miles when they bought Safeway (which was already using AMs.) So in Sobey's case this was self-infiicted.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2876 posts
2958 upvotes
Sobey had its own program if I remember correctly since I still have the green card. Maybe Sobey should re-initiate its own program instead of relying on AM.

Also, I really want to see how is being done from the AM devaluation as the management were strongly emphasize both miles are from different economy and they are NOT transferable. It means the liabilities shouldn't be transferable. Cash miles only has only established for 5 or less years, so the impact should be very minimal in terms of devaluation. If I see a big jump from the redemption level from Cash miles, then this is another BIG lie from the Airmiles management.
bylo wrote:
Dec 17th, 2016 10:58 am
Worse, until a couple of years ago Sobey participated in Aeroplan. They decided to switch to Air Miles when they bought Safeway (which was already using AMs.) So in Sobey's case this was self-infiicted.
Last edited by lcmt on Dec 17th, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.