Shopping Discussion

Air Miles Dream Miles - soon to expire after 5 years | update: no longer expring

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2017 3:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10120 posts
3073 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
They had their own program but you could convert their points to Aeroplan miles, either on an ad hoc basis, or automatically. They could have kept program and converted Safeway to it. Their mistake was not doing so. If they'd done that they'd have avoided the Air Miles scandal and fiasco altogether.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2612 posts
2805 upvotes
That's correct. If Sobey knew this will happen, I believe they won't adopt the AM program. Too bad, cannot go back to the past. Right now, the major problem is that the AM management still think they were doing it right when million of people are telling them AM was making a bad move. AM management is not willing to admit any mistakes they have made and not even willing to correct them until being forced to do so. AM is the first company I have seen to keep against from customers wish. Whenever customers want to go left, AM wants to go to the opposite.
bylo wrote:
Dec 17th, 2016 11:10 am
They had their own program but you could convert their points to Aeroplan miles, either on an ad hoc basis, or automatically. They could have kept program and converted Safeway to it. Their mistake was not doing so. If they'd done that they'd have avoided the Air Miles scandal and fiasco altogether.
Last edited by lcmt on Dec 17th, 2016 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10120 posts
3073 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
lcmt wrote:
Dec 17th, 2016 11:17 am
That's correct.
Yes, absolutely! You're correct that I'm correct ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3512 posts
609 upvotes
Alberta
It doesn't matter how bad AM screws the collectors or members people are so gullible. They offer the 1900 Cash Mile deal if you do the 7 AM offers thing and everybody jumps at it and think it's the best thing ever. So easy and it doesn't take much to get all these dis-satisfied members they screwed back. Not me, I never spent cent and collected 0 miles. Damage control that worked great for AM. Just look at this thread.

air-miles-get-1-900-air-miles-cash-mile ... #p27214470

And...I still haven't any tracking or shipping confirmation on that item I redeemed for in October that they wouldn't let me cancel. The one they said was in the shipping stage when the expiry was cancelled.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2612 posts
2805 upvotes
I don't participate on this deal either. The deal is ONLY good if all miles can be recorded successfully. Now AM removes the email contact, if any one of the transaction is failed to show up, then it is going to be very painful contacting AM plus you cannot report the missing miles until 2 to 3 months.

jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2016 11:50 am
It doesn't matter how bad AM screws the collectors or members people are so gullible. They offer the 1900 Cash Mile deal if you do the 7 AM offers thing and everybody jumps at it and think it's the best thing ever. So easy and it doesn't take much to get all these dis-satisfied members they screwed back. Not me, I never spent cent and collected 0 miles. Damage control that worked great for AM. Just look at this thread.

air-miles-get-1-900-air-miles-cash-mile ... #p27214470

And...I still haven't any tracking or shipping confirmation on that item I redeemed for in October that they wouldn't let me cancel. The one they said was in the shipping stage when the expiry was cancelled.
Sep 26, 2011
53 posts
24 upvotes
lcmt wrote:
Dec 17th, 2016 4:35 pm
if any one of the transaction is failed to show up, then it is going to be very painful contacting AM plus you cannot report the missing miles until 2 to 3 months.
Bingo. I received two targeted promotions back in August/September that I reciprocated, instantly earning the base miles from each sponsor, but the bonus miles are still outstanding, and you can't fill out the missing miles form until 120 days past the end of the particular promotion, so I have to wait until January. I swear they do this on purpose in hopes collectors will forget about it. Oddly, though, I get the impression that the onus is on the sponsor, not Air Miles, to cough up bonus miles.

I saw that news about Sobeys, too. It's unlikely that they'll change anything with being an Air Miles sponsor because they're probably bound by multi-year contracts with LoyaltyNONE. And a month or so ago, I was waiting for someone for about 15 minutes near the customer service counter at a local Sobeys, and noticed that almost every customer unwaveringly showed their Air Miles card going through the "x items or less" checkout. As much as RFD has been a great echo-chamber for our shared disdain about Air Miles, when people keep flashing their cards at retailers, it ain't gonna disappear anytime soon. They'd need millions and millions of cardholders to abruptly stop participating en masse, before major sponsors like Sobeys would back out.
Maybe to accelerate their corporate death spiral, Sears should start giving out Air Miles! Face With Tears Of Joy Winking Face

One thing I've started becoming curious about: how high are the highest Air Miles balances? Obviously the top 1% have 100,000 miles or more, because they've occasionally had an item in the dream catalog at that level. Does anybody have 1,000,000 or more? You'd think Air Miles would nudge these people more than the rest since, y'know, it's such a terrible "liability" to the company... lol... :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3394 posts
327 upvotes
canaduh wrote:
Dec 17th, 2016 7:34 pm
Bingo. I received two targeted promotions back in August/September that I reciprocated, instantly earning the base miles from each sponsor, but the bonus miles are still outstanding, and you can't fill out the missing miles form until 120 days past the end of the particular promotion, so I have to wait until January. I swear they do this on purpose in hopes collectors will forget about it. Oddly, though, I get the impression that the onus is on the sponsor, not Air Miles, to cough up bonus miles.

I saw that news about Sobeys, too. It's unlikely that they'll change anything with being an Air Miles sponsor because they're probably bound by multi-year contracts with LoyaltyNONE. And a month or so ago, I was waiting for someone for about 15 minutes near the customer service counter at a local Sobeys, and noticed that almost every customer unwaveringly showed their Air Miles card going through the "x items or less" checkout. As much as RFD has been a great echo-chamber for our shared disdain about Air Miles, when people keep flashing their cards at retailers, it ain't gonna disappear anytime soon. They'd need millions and millions of cardholders to abruptly stop participating en masse, before major sponsors like Sobeys would back out.
Maybe to accelerate their corporate death spiral, Sears should start giving out Air Miles! Face With Tears Of Joy Winking Face

One thing I've started becoming curious about: how high are the highest Air Miles balances? Obviously the top 1% have 100,000 miles or more, because they've occasionally had an item in the dream catalog at that level. Does anybody have 1,000,000 or more? You'd think Air Miles would nudge these people more than the rest since, y'know, it's such a terrible "liability" to the company... lol... :rolleyes:
a few weeks ago, I saw a promo on AM website asking me to add a secondary user to my amex platinum card for 50 AM miles so i click on the link and it took me to the amex website where i dutifully filled in the application ...

i have received the card for the secondary user and have now received the statement ... but no indication that i will be getting the 50 miles ...

the problem is ... the promo was so vague that there was no way for me to tell whether i should contact amex or AM if I have to resolve this issue ...

AM really sucks ... more & more by the day ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10120 posts
3073 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I've stopped chasing AMs promos. I avoid retailers who give AMs as much as possible. I tend to use PC Plus and Aeroplan. So Sobeys has lost my business to Loblaws, Shell has lost my business to Esso, etc. I still carry the card for use at places like LCBO but I'm not quite sure why since the number of AMs I've "earned" in the past few months is paltry. If I had to make an optimistic guess I'd say 50 AMs. If my experience is at all typical then the real losers in the AMs scandal isn't disLoyaltyOne. It's all the merchant partners who are seeing a drop in business.
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 21, 2008
312 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary
Money Sense Magazine Credit Card Customer Satisfaction Ratings

MoneySense Magazine did the survey this summer and I am honestly quite surprised to see 58% Very Satisfied with the BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard and 50% Very Satisfied with the BMO AIR MILES MasterCard. I mean customer service from BMO and the included insurances might be great but how can anyone be Very Satisfied with AIR MILES????
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3394 posts
327 upvotes
does anyone know whether the onyx status is based on calendar year or any 12 month period ?

Do i have to earned 6000 AM in a calendar year or any 12 months period to receive the onyx status?

appreciate any answer ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3512 posts
609 upvotes
Alberta
here you go:

You can become an Onyx™ Collector by getting 6,000 or more Miles within one calendar year (January to December). Your Onyx benefits will begin the following week until the end of March of the following year.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3394 posts
327 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 4:34 pm
here you go:

You can become an Onyx™ Collector by getting 6,000 or more Miles within one calendar year (January to December). Your Onyx benefits will begin the following week until the end of March of the following year.
Thanks!

Damn, i am just shy a few AMs ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2003
1341 posts
20 upvotes
Here are some good and bad things I find with Air Miles based on my experience.

The Bad
1. Searching for flights on the air miles website is a joke. For one, the flight has to include Canada in it. Fine. When i search a bunch of international flights from Canada for June/July, nothing shows up. They don't even suggest a day where the flight does show up. I have to go back, start from the beginning, enter new dates and cross my fingers. Seems like air miles is only good for somewhere in Canada to somewhere in North America.

2. The Onyx personal shopper is a joke too. For one, it's not instant. They connect you to a personal shopper who has 4-5 days to respond to your initial request. Then if there are any other emails in between, it's another 4-5 days potential to respond. Then if you order something through them, it's another 7-10 business days or more to get it shipped to you (depending on the item). Let's not forget the high quotes for air miles they give you for stuff.

The Good
I have always gotten my bonus points credited in reasonable amount of time except once. That one time they made me wait 120 days for them to show, they didn't show and i sent them copies of my email and purchase receipts and they credited my balance.
Sep 26, 2011
53 posts
24 upvotes
^^ Respectfully disagree. Their whole bonus mile accounting system is lousy, and arguably designed to intentionally cause earned miles to go missing to the sole benefit of LoyaltyNONE's shareholders. The simple fact that they have a dedicated "report missing miles" procedure suggests that it happens all the time. It's happened to me more often than I can count. Sure, they fixed the mistake everytime I reported it, but that doesn't make it "good" when the onus is on the collector to track, with proof, every single bonus mile earned for four months past the end of the promotional period when they were earned. Air Miles could easily force all their sponsors to instantly credit collectors with bonus miles, not in reconciled batches dated arbitrarily after the fact. But nope, that'd make too much sense.
As for Onyx personal shopper service, it was never advertised as providing instant, express results. You're fortunate enough to get to use your dream miles for any item, anywhere. I've been an active Gold collector since the damn program started in 1992, and can barely earn 2000 miles per year, let alone 6000, so consider yourself lucky with your Onyx status entitlement. A real example of a useless personal shopper service is Staples' product concierge. By definition, it's supposed to quote you pricing on items not found on the staples.ca website catalog, but when I tried it, the contradictory response I got was "sorry, the product you want is not in our catalog, but here's examples of similar items" as if I couldn't browse their categories myself. What's worse, the particular item I was asking about is even listed on the subsidiary Staples Advantage website @ www.eway.ca so obviously their inter-office cooperation is crippled. Be happy Onyx personal shopper isn't as dehumanized as this!