Shopping Discussion

Air Miles Dream Miles - soon to expire after 5 years | update: no longer expring

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2017 12:05 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 9, 2011
566 posts
269 upvotes
Vancouver
It looks like Safeway is moving away from Air Miles. Yesterday after spending $95, they asked me if I wanted 95 bonus Air Miles or an instant $10 gift card. Naturally I went for the gift card.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16732 posts
1725 upvotes
GTA West
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 1:04 pm
It looks like Safeway is moving away from Air Miles. Yesterday after spending $95, they asked me if I wanted 95 bonus Air Miles or an instant $10 gift card. Naturally I went for the gift card.
For the next Ontario election, I think a killer campaign promise would be to remove Air Miles from the LCBO.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9840 posts
2917 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kiraly wrote:
That could also mean they're just trying to cut out the middleman. That saves them money because they don't have to buy those 95 AMs. And, if you'd planned to redeem the 95 AMs anyway, it's more convenient for you. Kudos to them if they're training staff to offer this option because it's win-win for them and you but lose for disLoyaltyOne.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Sep 26, 2011
45 posts
23 upvotes
Just discovered another sneaky thing that LoyaltyNONE has been doing under my nose: charging $0.01 for some bonus rewards miles offers. I know, it's just a cent per transaction, but I don't recall ever reading any fine-print that said there'd be a fee for collecting bonus miles. Angry Face
Only came to notice this while rummaging for some Shell receipts from last summer, in preparation for reporting missing bonus miles that I'm owed. Looked carefully, and I saw they actually charged $0.01, added to the total bill, for the itemized Air Miles promo coupon that I redeemed. Usually these promos appear as $0.00, but I had four of these coupons, and each visit's receipt added a cent to the total amount paid. Maybe this is one of the many evil secrets of success revealed in Bryan Pearson's fireplace kindling book titled "The Loyalty Leap"? :rolleyes:
Seriously, though, what gives with Air Miles saying you have to wait 120 days past the end of the promotion, before complaining about missing miles? I was mailed another "exclusive" Shell promotion postcard, last month, and its inconsistent fine-print says:
Please allow up to 4 weeks past promotion for your Bonus Miles to be awarded to your Collector Account
Okay, screwballs at Air Miles: what is the official answer supposed to be, wait 4 weeks or wait 4 months? Maybe now that they can't expire miles, they'll delay issuing bonus miles for four years after they're earned? LOL... ugh!
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4618 posts
294 upvotes
Victoria
Yeah AM is a joke. I focus on an airline program and it's not aeropesos.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
2907 posts
252 upvotes
dealguy2 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 10:23 pm
Yeah AM is a joke. I focus on an airline program and it's not aeropesos.
which airline program ? care to share? :)
ooma home phone
1x fongo followme
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1822 posts
2053 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Kiraly wrote:
Actually, if you look at the current Safeway flyer and flyers back to at least August 2015 (could be longer, I just stopped looking at August), this has been their standard weekly offer:

"Spend $95, Get $10 Gift Card OR Spend $95, Get 95 Air Miles Bonus Miles".
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4618 posts
294 upvotes
Victoria
I focus on Alaska Airlines mileage plan. It's only useful for westcoast of Canada I think but you should check it out.
Nov 4, 2016
5 posts
I'm wondering if a certain reward has been taken off the site, or blocked from me (just got the "We're sorry
We can't find the reward you are looking for. Don't worry, there are more great rewards for you to discover below" message) - can someone with low points please check if the Braun immersion blender is still visible to you?

thanks
Nov 14, 2003
116 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
10not42 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 3:47 pm
I'm wondering if a certain reward has been taken off the site, or blocked from me (just got the "We're sorry
We can't find the reward you are looking for. Don't worry, there are more great rewards for you to discover below" message) - can someone with low points please check if the Braun immersion blender is still visible to you?

thanks
I don't see it. Others:

Electrolux Expressionist Immersion Blender, 975 reward miles
Cuisinart® CSB-100C Smart Stick® 700 Watt Hand Blender, 1,700 reward miles
KitchenAid® Pro Line® Series 5 Speed Cordless Hand Blender , 3,200 reward miles
Nov 4, 2016
5 posts
Cnsultnt wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 4:48 pm
I don't see it. Others:

Electrolux Expressionist Immersion Blender, 975 reward miles
Cuisinart® CSB-100C Smart Stick® 700 Watt Hand Blender, 1,700 reward miles
KitchenAid® Pro Line® Series 5 Speed Cordless Hand Blender , 3,200 reward miles
Yes I see those, so the Braun may have been removed/discontinued, thanks.
Mar 12, 2012
334 posts
140 upvotes
Belleville
Hi RFD,

My wife's grandmother has almost 5,000 dream miles that she won't / can't use (personal reasons) and has offered to give them to my wife and I if we'd like them.

She has an online account, but didn't have the information with her when we last spoke (and, being a grandmother it's not super easy to communicate that over the phone.)

I've never been an AM collector so I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer:
1. Does the person doing the booking have to be on the travel tickets? I know she can transfer them to use for a $10 fee plus 15 cents per miles, but if she can just book them for us that would be better.
2. I tried to see how far I could go on those miles by creating an empty account, but since my "fake" account has 0 miles, the online catalog wouldn't show me ANYTHING. Is ~5000 miles enough to make a sizable dent in a flight. There are 3 of us (2 adults, 1 child), I thinking I'd like to go from Ottawa/Toronto to somewhere on the East coast of Canada. It looks like (based on the first few posts of this thread) that it's quite possible it would.
3. What sort of fees aren't covered by AM? I saw an example earlier that a trip from Ontario to NYC could cost around 1500 AM, plus $240 in taxes in fees. A flight from Toronto to NYC with Porter is like $300, so I'm doubting how awesome AM really is.

Thanks - I will take a look at the rewards options when I next see her for specifics, but just trying to get an idea if it's even worth it.
Jan 9, 2011
566 posts
269 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi Xoanan

1) No, an air miles collector an book an air ticket under any name.
2) You are doing your due diligence in checking that flight redemptions are worth it. It really varies. If you are getting less than 10¢/mile then don't bother. I have found that using air miles for hotel bookings will save you much more money than using them for flights. I booked a hotel room in November with AM and got 20¢/mile.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3234 posts
513 upvotes
Alberta
10not42 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 3:47 pm

thanks

I see a Braun Multiquick 7 Hand Blender going for 1200 AM on my account.

Manufacturer's Model Number: MQ735BK
AIR MILES Item Number: 1331571276

The MQ7 series of hand blenders feature Smart Speed control, a revolutionary technology - the more you squeeze the more power you get. Increase the hand blender speed by gently pressing the speed regulator button. You can easily prepare all your recipes with one hand, changing the speed in real time, without interruptions. That means no more awkward speed dials. One squeeze, all speeds!

Smart Speed - The more you squeeze, the more power you get. One handspeed control and an extra-large button - for easy and comfortable handling. For maximum security, the child safety lock prevents unintended use
PowerBell design for perfect blending results - Ultra-hard stainless steel blades and unique bell-shaped blending shaft. Anti-splash stainless steel shaft - for clean and tidy preparation
Thermal cut-off - Motor protection feature.
Powerful 750 W motor - Silent, compact, guaranteed reliability
EasyClick system - Easily detachable shaft. Compatible with Easy-Click accessories
1-Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty
Nov 4, 2016
5 posts
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 3:57 pm
I see a Braun Multiquick 7 Hand Blender going for 1200 AM on my account.

Manufacturer's Model Number: MQ735BK
AIR MILES Item Number: 1331571276

The MQ7 series of hand blenders feature Smart Speed control, a revolutionary technology - the more you squeeze the more power you get. Increase the hand blender speed by gently pressing the speed regulator button. You can easily prepare all your recipes with one hand, changing the speed in real time, without interruptions. That means no more awkward speed dials. One squeeze, all speeds!

Smart Speed - The more you squeeze, the more power you get. One handspeed control and an extra-large button - for easy and comfortable handling. For maximum security, the child safety lock prevents unintended use
PowerBell design for perfect blending results - Ultra-hard stainless steel blades and unique bell-shaped blending shaft. Anti-splash stainless steel shaft - for clean and tidy preparation
Thermal cut-off - Motor protection feature.
Powerful 750 W motor - Silent, compact, guaranteed reliability
EasyClick system - Easily detachable shaft. Compatible with Easy-Click accessories
1-Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty
I refreshed the AM rewards appliance page, and then the Braun was visible (maybe they updated the listing because my old link still doesn't work) so I've ordered one, thanks.