Shopping Discussion

Air Miles Dream Miles - soon to expire after 5 years | update: no longer expring

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2017 10:04 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
2482 posts
187 upvotes
Xoanan wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 9:19 am
Hi RFD,

My wife's grandmother has almost 5,000 dream miles that she won't / can't use (personal reasons) and has offered to give them to my wife and I if we'd like them.

She has an online account, but didn't have the information with her when we last spoke (and, being a grandmother it's not super easy to communicate that over the phone.)

I've never been an AM collector so I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer:
1. Does the person doing the booking have to be on the travel tickets? I know she can transfer them to use for a $10 fee plus 15 cents per miles, but if she can just book them for us that would be better.
2. I tried to see how far I could go on those miles by creating an empty account, but since my "fake" account has 0 miles, the online catalog wouldn't show me ANYTHING. Is ~5000 miles enough to make a sizable dent in a flight. There are 3 of us (2 adults, 1 child), I thinking I'd like to go from Ottawa/Toronto to somewhere on the East coast of Canada. It looks like (based on the first few posts of this thread) that it's quite possible it would.
3. What sort of fees aren't covered by AM? I saw an example earlier that a trip from Ontario to NYC could cost around 1500 AM, plus $240 in taxes in fees. A flight from Toronto to NYC with Porter is like $300, so I'm doubting how awesome AM really is.

Thanks - I will take a look at the rewards options when I next see her for specifics, but just trying to get an idea if it's even worth it.
you should try to book airline tix ... if you are lucky, you can get a pretty good deal ...
Nov 11, 2016
97 posts
61 upvotes
Wow ! Just read that... 466 comments- most negative.

I just saw 50 bonus AM's from the AM's shop....
I had done nothing really... bought a couple of Groupons...

The Description was "Just for Being Awesome ".

I thought in the back of my mind that it was very good PR for them....
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3098 posts
443 upvotes
Alberta
It's not good PR. Damage control is what I would call it but it's too late. I don't give a rats azz about their 50 AM. Give me back my 39,000 AM that I redeemed on almost useless crap. 9 items I redeemed for and they are still all I opened and sitting on my living room floor.
Last edited by jackrabbit000 on Jan 28th, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 9, 2011
451 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 2:20 pm
Give me back my 39,000 AM that I redeemed on almost useless crap. 9 items I redeemed for and they are still all I opened and sitting on my living room floor.
It sounds like you're less happy with the useless crap than you would have been without it. I would have rather have let the stupid points expire than redeem them for crap I didn't want or need that's just going to rob me of space in my living room. I'm not trying to defend Air Miles here but sometimes we have to own our own mistakes.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2404 posts
2343 upvotes
I don't really agree that AM transfer the "loss profit" back to the customers. The company is not losing money, they are just earning less money because they made the stupid decision splitting up the program + other issues still haven't resolved. The shareholders should bite the "loss profit" themselves because of the mistakes made by the management team. Coin has two sides. If AM can use the reason of "loss profit" and transfer the responsibility back to customers, what happen if they earn more profit in the past or in the future ??? Transfer this profit back to the customers ??? I really doubt AM ever did this or will do this. Also, I really doubt this "loss profit" is really losing real money from the bank. They are just playing the number from the accounting books.

I also think AM devalues the point to serve another purpose. It may try to soothe those customers being forced for the redemption last year because of the expiry rule. "Now you see you need more AM to redeem. If you don't redeem last year, it will cost you more now." Unfortunately, customers will not look at this way. They care more about future rather than past.

lecale wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 3:08 pm
Air Miles has just devalued Dream Miles vs. vacations packages

Air Miles quietly drops value of some points, angering collectors
'I feel like they've stolen over $2,000,' says a customer who fought to get vacation points back
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-mil ... -1.3955506
May 22, 2016
439 posts
54 upvotes
Ontario
lecale wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 3:08 pm
Air Miles has just devalued Dream Miles vs. vacations packages

Air Miles quietly drops value of some points, angering collectors
'I feel like they've stolen over $2,000,' says a customer who fought to get vacation points back
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-mil ... -1.3955506
Wow what a whiner. This a good thing and AM gets bad press?
Oct 20, 2016
37 posts
16 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 2:20 pm
It's not good PR. Damage control is what I would call it but it's too late. I don't give a rats azz about their 50 AM. Give me back my 39,000 AM that I redeemed on almost useless crap. 9 items I redeemed for and they are still all I opened and sitting on my living room floor.
Serious question, how did you have that many AMs and not be Onyx status?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3098 posts
443 upvotes
Alberta
pentagonjr wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 9:32 am
Serious question, how did you have that many AMs and not be Onyx status?
My AM's were accumulated over a 25 year period. You need to earn 6000 AM/year to become and retain Onyx status. We usually only collected around 1500/ year so it gave me Gold status only. Not much benefit being a Gold member anyways.
Oct 20, 2016
37 posts
16 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 10:34 am
My AM's were accumulated over a 25 year period. You need to earn 6000 AM/year to become and retain Onyx status. We usually only collected around 1500/ year so it gave me Gold status only. Not much benefit being a Gold member anyways.
Wow, that's commitment. I'd be pissed if I was you as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3056 posts
919 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
webshark wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 11:31 pm
Wow what a whiner. This a good thing and AM gets bad press?
Reading comprehension issues? Dream AM are now worth less. How is that a good thing?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
1971 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
Got an email from Staples today. Seems they are doing a promo with Air-miles.
95 Airmiles = $10 Staples e-voucher where the "0" is a set of headphones, so it might be $1.
Checked the link for more info and they want you to log in to airmiles.
No idea if they can be stacked because they are not putting the info right out front.
My thinking is that it is a lame promo and they are merely testing the waters to see how low we will go in order to cash in.

On edit:
Doing the math. @ Staples you get 1 air mile for every $40. So you would need to spend $3800 at Staples get a $10 e-voucher.

Found some details in the fine print of the email:
Use Miles in the Cash balance of your AIR MILES Collector Account online in increments of 95 Cash Miles for every $10 worth of value from participating Reward Partners to a maximum of $750 per day. eVouchers can be used at participating Reward Partners’ locations in Canada only.
Doing the math yet again to get $750 off you would need to spend $3,800 x 75 = $285,000

Now that is just lame.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3056 posts
919 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
ROYinTO wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 3:21 pm
Got an email from Staples today. Seems they are doing a promo with Air-miles.
95 Airmiles = $10 Staples e-voucher where the "0" is a set of headphones, so it might be $1.
Checked the link for more info and they want you to log in to airmiles.
No idea if they can be stacked because they are not putting the info right out front.
My thinking is that it is a lame promo and they are merely testing the waters to see how low we will go in order to cash in.

On edit:
Doing the math. @ Staples you get 1 air mile for every $40. So you would need to spend $3800 at Staples get a $10 e-voucher.

Found some details in the fine print of the email:

Doing the math yet again to get $750 off you would need to spend $3,800 x 75 = $285,000

Now that is just lame.
For years now, you have been able to log in and order $10 evouchers for 95 AM online. Yes they stack. You misunderstand. You should have logged in to read more as they suggested.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9569 posts
2762 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
disLoyaltyOne sent out a mea culpa e-mail yesterday but it seems it's so little, so late that no one bothered to post it here. That non-"response" speaks louder than the e-mail.

For those who didn't get the lame e-mail:
An important message from AIR MILES

For the past 25 years, our team at AIR MILES® has been proud to be part of Canada's favourite loyalty program. It's an honour that we did not live up to last year, but one that we are committed to, going forward.

2016 was a challenging year, and we learned very difficult, public and humbling lessons. As a result, you can look forward to an even better AIR MILES experience going forward. We are reaffirming our commitment to continue to improve the Program.

Some of the steps we are taking include:
• We are committed to improving our Customer Service wait times and improving the online experience. We want you to be able to reach us more quickly and easily both over the phone and on our website.
• We are improving Program information and communications, including updates on our website when there is new information about the Program.
• We delivered more value in rewards last year than in any other year – close to $1 billion – and we won't stop there. We continue to add new and exciting rewards to our Program.

We are continuing to improve the Program to ensure Canadians receive incredible value. We are committed to doing what we need to do to be Canada's favourite loyalty program.

Sincerely yours,
Blair Cameron
Head, AIR MILES Reward Program
Yeah, right Blair. We really believe you.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5158 posts
1341 upvotes
lol they delivered more rewards because they tricked people into thinking their miles would expire and waste their miles on useless junk.

As for the future, they already admitted in investor meetings that they would reduce even more the value of the points to compensate for the removal of the expiry policy.
So, things are looking dimmer and dimmer for Air Miles.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel