Shopping Discussion

Air Miles Dream Miles - soon to expire after 5 years | update: no longer expring

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2017 12:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14809 posts
18057 upvotes
ONTARIO
I am glad I have used the majority of mine on items outside the reward store (thanks to Onyx personal shopper feature).
Got a 55" 4K TV and a a 16GB Nvidia Shield Android TV. Still have 1600 points left though to spend.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4433 posts
752 upvotes
Markham
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 2:20 pm
It's not good PR. Damage control is what I would call it but it's too late. I don't give a rats azz about their 50 AM. Give me back my 39,000 AM that I redeemed on almost useless crap. 9 items I redeemed for and they are still all I opened and sitting on my living room floor.
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 2:33 pm
It sounds like you're less happy with the useless crap than you would have been without it. I would have rather have let the stupid points expire than redeem them for crap I didn't want or need that's just going to rob me of space in my living room. I'm not trying to defend Air Miles here but sometimes we have to own our own mistakes.
This is RFD and you're not going to walk away from the value of goods that 39,000 AM gets you. At the very least, you can sell goods on here or on Kijiji or give away as gifts. I too was forced into getting something for my AM that was going to expire. Only one of the three items I got I'm pretty happy with, one I'm OK with having the third, I probably need to sell as I don't think I'll get enough value out of.

AirMiles is likely reeling right now as retailers will likely end their affiliation and create their own or find something else.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 27, 2004
887 posts
43 upvotes
Too little, too late.

I suspect many Canadians have, like me, moved on from the AirMiles program. I don't even carry the card in my wallet anymore. It wasn't really worthwhile for me, as I was only a Blue card member, but I had been collecting AM (and giving them purchasing data in return) since the program's inception.

Best of luck to AirMiles and the people who work there, but I don't think this is salvageable.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2555 posts
543 upvotes
Vancouver
AIR MILES® unveils Program enhancements to Canada’s favourite loyalty program

AIR MILES’ commitment to Collector experience has inspired Program features that give Canadians more flexibility, better service, and greater value.
TORONTO, March 13, 2017 – Today, the AIR MILES Reward Program is announcing a series of Program enhancements designed to deliver Collectors more flexibility and better service with their loyalty experience, while providing greater value for the most engaged Collectors.
Beginning April 3, AIR MILES will be introducing the following enhancements to the Program:

The online Merchandise Rewards Catalogue will be fully accessible to all Collectors, while our most engaged Collectors will be able to access an enhanced tiered pricing structure.
Up to 40% of our merchandise will now be available for purchase using credit card and Dream Miles. This “Cash and Miles” feature gives Collectors the ability to attain the rewards they want even faster.
We are expanding our customer service with 24/7 support on Facebook and Twitter.

“We are constantly looking for ways to refine and improve our Program to ensure our Collectors have the best possible experience,” said Blair Cameron, Head of the AIR MILES Reward Program. “After carefully listening to the feedback from our Collectors, we are rolling out these enhancements to help ensure we remain Canada’s favourite loyalty program. We are firmly committed to delivering more rewards options, improved Collector communications, and expanded customer service.”

Greater rewards for all Collectors
The online Merchandise Rewards Catalogue will now be available to all Collectors. We are also introducing tiered pricing for our most engaged Collectors, enabling them to get rewarded even faster. The more engaged Collectors are with the Program, the more they get out of it. All Collectors will continue to enjoy our already exceptional pricing, while our Gold Collectors will now receive up to 10% off all merchandise, and Onyx™ Collectors will receive up to 20% off.

More choice
The ability to use credit card and Dream Miles is a feature that has been popular with AIR MILES Collectors, because those with lower Miles balances can use fewer Miles to get the rewards they want. We have expanded this option to apply to up to 40% of all merchandise products available in the online Merchandise Rewards Catalogue. As part of this expansion, and in an effort to simplify the rewards categories, we are integrating the current “Member Pricing” products into this option.

A commitment to extended customer service
In an effort to be more responsive to our Collectors’ changing expectations for service, we will be introducing 24/7 customer support through our Facebook and Twitter accounts.ations for service, we will be introducing 24/7 customer support through our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3070 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
From AM's announcement:
The online Merchandise Rewards Catalogue will be fully accessible to all Collectors
So now they admit what they denied last year, i.e. that they manipulated what members could redeem by hiding what was within reach of their miles balance. Now that they no longer expire Nightmare Miles there's no longer any reason to do this so they're spinning it as an "improve"ment. They have no shame.
“We are constantly looking for ways to refine and improve our Program to ensure our Collectors have the best possible experience,” said Blair Cameron, Head of the AIR MILES Reward Program.
What members most want is the ability to convert stranded Nightmare Miles to Cash Miles. As usual Cameron is blind (and deaf) to that "refine"ment and "improve"ment so he can further deflate the value of those Nightmare Miles.
Up to 40% of our merchandise will now be available for purchase using credit card and Dream Miles.
So now they'll have even more merchandise for sale at inflated prices.
We are expanding our customer service with 24/7 support on Facebook and Twitter.
Yawn...
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 26, 2011
53 posts
24 upvotes
Air Miles says it will start offering around-the-clock customer service through Facebook and Twitter
Yeah, this is destined to backfire miserably. What do they think people are going to do, get into back-and-forth Twitter discussions for complex, non-automated customer service inquiries? It's like the LoyaltyNONE board of directors sat down and the best they could come up with was "well, all anybody talks about these days is millennials and tweets, so let's pay one of our overworked call centre staff to sit at home on-call using Twitter to respond to 10,000,000 collector inquiries on the graveyard shift!" Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Air Miles hopes its changes will stop the flood of collector complaints that have continued, even though it has cancelled its expiry policy for miles.
LOL, yeah, I bet Blair thought that kiboshing the expiration would have magically made everything perfect again. Seems Air Miles has a lot of air-heads making decisions.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3510 posts
609 upvotes
Alberta
canaduh wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 2:23 pm

LOL, yeah, I bet Blair thought that kiboshing the expiration would have magically made everything perfect again.
All this did was pizz off the people that redeemed their AM even more.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1919 posts
2312 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
canaduh wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 2:23 pm
Yeah, this is destined to backfire miserably. What do they think people are going to do, get into back-and-forth Twitter discussions for complex, non-automated customer service inquiries? It's like the LoyaltyNONE board of directors sat down and the best they could come up with was "well, all anybody talks about these days is millennials and tweets, so let's pay one of our overworked call centre staff to sit at home on-call using Twitter to respond to 10,000,000 collector inquiries on the graveyard shift!" Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I'm guessing AM will use call center agents overseas for those hours, leading to even more frustration for members.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10544 posts
1148 upvotes
Edmonton
newfbc wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:26 am
AIR MILES® unveils Program enhancements to Canada’s favourite loyalty program

AIR MILES’ commitment to Collector experience has inspired Program features that give Canadians more flexibility, better service, and greater value.
TORONTO, March 13, 2017 – Today, the AIR MILES Reward Program is announcing a series of Program enhancements designed to deliver Collectors more flexibility and better service with their loyalty experience, while providing greater value for the most engaged Collectors.
Beginning April 3, AIR MILES will be introducing the following enhancements to the Program:

The online Merchandise Rewards Catalogue will be fully accessible to all Collectors, while our most engaged Collectors will be able to access an enhanced tiered pricing structure.
Up to 40% of our merchandise will now be available for purchase using credit card and Dream Miles. This “Cash and Miles” feature gives Collectors the ability to attain the rewards they want even faster.

“We are constantly looking for ways to refine and improve our Program to ensure our Collectors have the best possible experience,” said Blair Cameron, Head of the AIR MILES Reward Program. “After carefully listening to the feedback from our Collectors, we are rolling out these enhancements to help ensure we remain Canada’s favourite loyalty program. We are firmly committed to delivering more rewards options, improved Collector communications, and expanded customer service.”

Greater rewards for all Collectors
The online Merchandise Rewards Catalogue will now be available to all Collectors. We are also introducing tiered pricing for our most engaged Collectors, enabling them to get rewarded even faster. The more engaged Collectors are with the Program, the more they get out of it. All Collectors will continue to enjoy our already exceptional pricing, while our Gold Collectors will now receive up to 10% off all merchandise, and Onyx™ Collectors will receive up to 20% off.

More choice
The ability to use credit card and Dream Miles is a feature that has been popular with AIR MILES Collectors, because those with lower Miles balances can use fewer Miles to get the rewards they want. We have expanded this option to apply to up to 40% of all merchandise products available in the online Merchandise Rewards Catalogue. As part of this expansion, and in an effort to simplify the rewards categories, we are integrating the current “Member Pricing” products into this option.

A commitment to extended customer service
In an effort to be more responsive to our Collectors’ changing expectations for service, we will be introducing 24/7 customer support through our Facebook and Twitter accounts.ations for service, we will be introducing 24/7 customer support through our Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Nice. Sorry failmiles but that's a little to late.

My wife and I spent our mile balances on junk we didn't want or need just a couple days before your about face on the expiry policy.

And because they pissed us off so much, we didn't bother to earn gold status for this year, making the improvements worthless to us.

I think my collection balance is something like 7 miles this year from some staples purchases. That's it. Goes to show how worthless the plan is to us now. From 2000-3000 mile collection each annually to almost zero.

We aren't stupid enough to waste time or money to try for gold status next year. If they really wanted to make amends, they would extend last year's gold status to this year for free. That's about the only thing they can do at this point to bring us back.

*edit*

It looks like they did just that: extended our gold status for another year. I only earned 191 miles last year, and actually only 2 so far this year. But I have gold status when I log in, can see gold rewards and promos, etc. Still pissed we redeemed our balances for products which are still sitting in the boxes that we don't need. Maybe if sobeys and safeway give away 1000 miles for a $100 transaction, or shell gives 500 miles for a fill up, or staples 500 miles for a $50 purchase we might go for gold status again.

*edit 2*

Looks like the gold status is residual from the previous year to the end of march the following year. So looks like we have 2 weeks to exploit whatever extra benefits they give to existing gold members that they bring in before we toss our cards in the shredder and wash our hands of the program.
Sep 26, 2011
53 posts
24 upvotes
Well, I think LoyaltyNONE must now officially be worried about losing their "10,000,000" Air Miles collectors: I just saw a TV commercial for Air Miles, promoting some silly cruise giveaway contest they're running. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think Air Miles has ever run ads for the program in the past, only marketing through its beloved sponsor retailers. So, now they're blowing money on TV spots: yay, even more reason for them to devalue accumulated reward miles.
Maybe the CBC marketplace follow-up report caught their attention? :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3491 posts
1066 upvotes
So don't go trying to use your cash miles today...

Air Miles alerts members someone is stealing cash miles
Air Miles says it shut down in-store miles redemption option to protect members
To protect collectors, Air Miles has temporarily halted the option that allowed members to use their cash miles to buy products at participating retailers, such as gas at Shell, groceries at Sobeys or drug store items at Rexall. Collectors can still use their cash miles to buy gift cards online for participating stores.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-mil ... -1.4037632
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6585 posts
2018 upvotes
Markham
Should have seen that coming. Magstripe cards, doesn't even ask you to sign when you redeem cash miles, just an email alert after the fact it has been redeemed. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

On top of the fact that Air Miles seem to send out the cards at random, I applied for one they sent me like 3-4 spare cards out of nowhere, I still have some in my drawer.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4463 posts
1072 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
lecale wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 1:08 pm
So don't go trying to use your cash miles today...

Air Miles alerts members someone is stealing cash miles
Air Miles says it shut down in-store miles redemption option to protect members

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-mil ... -1.4037632
They probably did it themselves ....They took away the grocery store redemption which was maybe the one thing that made me keep the card. Interestingly they somehow (in their fine attempt to protect me) changed my mile collection from cash to reward miles as well ...I have officially had enough of their BS now.
I tried to redeem at Metro yesterday morning and could not , today I red the email they sent at 2:02am with their story and how they are protecting our info by not letting anyone redeem in stores and forcing everyone to use their crappy website.
Feb 20, 2013
64 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa
this has been in making for at least a couple of months. someone had used my cash miles at a point of sale at metro, i found out by email alert and called them the same day to try and resolve it, instead they treated me with suspicion, long waits and hang ups. i cancelled my account and cut my cards to hell with them.