Travel

Air Miles flight availability decreasing?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2015 11:24 am
Tags:
None
Dec 23, 2009
402 posts
46 upvotes

Air Miles flight availability decreasing?

Is it just me or has the availability for Air Miles flights been slashed on certain routes. I used to be able to book a flight a couple of weeks in advance on any East Coast route with little trouble, now I can't even book 5-6 weeks in advance with anything, and I noticed they upped the reward mile requirement and seemingly upped the taxes/fees as well? If availability is decreased I have a feeling it's because of the Tango Plus ticket class that AC introduced. Anyone else noticing this? Thoughts?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1528 posts
261 upvotes
East Coast!
I noticed this also when trying to redeem airmiles for a westjet flight.
From what I heard, it's because they moved alot of the flights to onyx members.. i'm currently gold.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2002
1608 posts
479 upvotes
Air Miles has been declining for years, that's why they are dying.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
delavoie wrote: I noticed this also when trying to redeem airmiles for a westjet flight.
From what I heard, it's because they moved alot of the flights to onyx members.. i'm currently gold.
What is onyx?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1528 posts
261 upvotes
East Coast!
sandy_beach wrote: What is onyx?
it's a new level, before the top level was Gold (1000points/year), now they also have Onyx (6000points/year)
Dec 23, 2009
402 posts
46 upvotes
delavoie wrote: it's a new level, before the top level was Gold (1000points/year), now they also have Onyx (6000points/year)
News to me. It's already been a frustrating process trying to redeem my miles for the past year or more. I have 7000 right now and tried to book an east coast short haul route and there was nothing available until after easter weekend. And I only have gold status. What's the point in 7000 miles if you can't even use them?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1528 posts
261 upvotes
East Coast!
keano wrote: News to me. It's already been a frustrating process trying to redeem my miles for the past year or more. I have 7000 right now and tried to book an east coast short haul route and there was nothing available until after easter weekend. And I only have gold status. What's the point in 7000 miles if you can't even use them?
We have booked flights to Cancun yearly on airmiles for the last 3 years now.. some years i'll look for flights and it shows none available.
I just keep on checking weekly and seats on the flight I want, eventually show up. It's like they play games, add seats, remove them, add seats, remove them.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
10 years ago having Gold status on Airmiles meant you got all the perks, now it's pretty well meaningless and Onyx is royalty.

That being said, I've also noticed changes in the flights.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
They've been doing this for years...unless you pick slow season, going to Timbuktu, then don't expect any available seats...at least not at the lower fare bucket, there seems to always be availability if you are willing to pay with extra miles. I only collect them when shopping at Safeway and through my MC...switched to the Avion card a while back.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
cwb27 wrote: 10 years ago having Gold status on Airmiles meant you got all the perks, now it's pretty well meaningless and Onyx is royalty.

That being said, I've also noticed changes in the flights.
The advent of Onyx for AirMiles isn't all it's cracked up to be by any stretch and I certainly wouldn't go so far as to peg it as "royalty". Flight availability isn't guaranteed with Onyx either and I, too, have noticed diminishing returns. Not too different than Aeroplan as far as devaluation of the program.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2003
1361 posts
28 upvotes
I have Onyx and even with that there aren't that many options.
Feb 5, 2009
664 posts
150 upvotes
Devaluation in June made everything more expensive. Most likely they reduced availability for base level and give you more options at the higher more expensive tier.

I've stopped collecting air miles because of this.
Dec 23, 2009
402 posts
46 upvotes
blai4754 wrote:
I've stopped collecting air miles because of this.
What are you collecting now if you don't mind me asking? I'm strongly considering switching cards.
Feb 5, 2009
664 posts
150 upvotes
keano wrote: What are you collecting now if you don't mind me asking? I'm strongly considering switching cards.
Nothing. I use my travel rewards cards. Collecting air miles often make you spend more, buying things you don't usually buy to get bonus miles. That was the case shopping at Safeway. My groceries bill has dropped by 50% shopping at the nearest grocery store.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1554 posts
834 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I have noticed more availability, even to book four flights with onyx access.
Apr 22, 2012
155 posts
30 upvotes
Quebec
I've noticed more flights available, but often only with the higher number of points required (Onyx)
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
I've found it you change your preferred flight time (morning, afternoon, evening) the flight options will change and often don't even reflect the preferred time you wanted. I wanted to book an early morning flight to chicago and they only way I could get it to pop up is if I selected evening as my preferred time. So odd.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)