• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2018 8:25 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1864 posts
644 upvotes
zappy312 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 6:56 pm
It it wise to ensure I have 570 cash Air Miles at minimum to do the Rexall (190 AM), Rona (285 AM) and Metro (95 AM) offers? I don't want to allocate anymore to cash since I prefer dream miles, but I have a 2k bonus coming within the next few days.

Edit: Someone suggested Sobeys might have a redemption offer so that would require another 95 AM so 665.
If you look at the dates of the offers, you will need 190 Cash Miles Nov 19 to 22 for Rexall, but 95 for Metro not until Dec 20 - 24. So if you want your 2k bonus to be dream miles, and already have 190 Cash miles, you should switch your preference to Dream miles. You have until the end of November for Rona.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1864 posts
644 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:07 pm
I wish we could convert cash and dream miles. Sucks that you have to choose upfront.
Not sure what you mean by 'upfront'. You can switch your preferences back and forth, but you need to make some assumptions about when miles are posted. The problem is that you don't always know when these bonus miles will be posted.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2492 posts
967 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 2:56 pm
Are 2000 AM enough for regional long-haul flights?

I think I read a post that says flights by far are the best use of AM, just like over at aeroplan
1904 AM will get you across two provinces at best or a short haul flight into the states.
+ taxes and fees ($139.53). Included BMO WE 15% deduction
15000 aeroplan points would get you exactly the same flights.
with taxes and fees (165.33)

If you want a long haul flight across NA/Canada then you need roughly 4000 or more plus taxes and fees
The same flight on Aeroplan is 25000 miles + taxes and fees.

This represent low season searchers so add more points for Airmiles for high season. go

Here is a good table showing costs/taxes from YYZ Link
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5196 posts
360 upvotes
Ottawa
akaManny wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:17 pm
Not sure what you mean by 'upfront'. You can switch your preferences back and forth, but you need to make some assumptions about when miles are posted. The problem is that you don't always know when these bonus miles will be posted.
I meant if I have to plan how I will use AM before I actually use it.
Nov 4, 2011
427 posts
256 upvotes
YYZ
akaManny wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:13 pm
If you look at the dates of the offers, you will need 190 Cash Miles Nov 19 to 22 for Rexall, but 95 for Metro not until Dec 20 - 24. So if you want your 2k bonus to be dream miles, and already have 190 Cash miles, you should switch your preference to Dream miles. You have until the end of November for Rona.
Thanks for that breakdown. I currently have 0 cash miles so to be safe I'll probably change my earning structure to ensure I have 800 cash miles which will give me enough for the 3 posted offers with 2*95 AM left over which will hopefully be enough for Sobeys.

I could also do the other Rexall offer where I need to spend $40 which would reduce the amount of cash Air Miles I need. Ugh, this is getting to be a bit of a strategic game since I don't know when all the offers will be posted, nor do I know when my 2k Air Miles will be deposited. I'm leaning towards reducing my cash outflow though, which would cause me to choose to do the cash AM offers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6157 posts
3756 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jeeva86 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:07 pm
I wish we could convert cash and dream miles. Sucks that you have to choose upfront.
As noted by others, you can change your earn Percentages anytime
BUT... UNFORTUNATELY you can not move Earned Miles between your Cash Miles Account and your Dream Miles Account
Where they are Earned... they reside
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6157 posts
3756 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
akaManny wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:17 pm
zappy312 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:16 pm
Thanks for that breakdown. I currently have 0 cash miles so to be safe I'll probably change my earning structure to ensure I have 800 cash miles which will give me enough for the 3 posted offers with 2*95 AM left over which will hopefully be enough for Sobeys.

I could also do the other Rexall offer where I need to spend $40 which would reduce the amount of cash Air Miles I need. Ugh, this is getting to be a bit of a strategic game since I don't know when all the offers will be posted, nor do I know when my 2k Air Miles will be deposited. I'm leaning towards reducing my cash outflow though, which would cause me to choose to do the cash AM offers.
AIRMILES POSTING - Regular vs Promo (Base, Bonus & BIG BONUS Miles)

Regular Miles... Base & (most) Bonus Miles are easy to predict
Cause each Partner POSTS on a cycle

BIG BONUS MILES from events like STB, MMs, P2S are only a tad more vague on knowing when they post

But traditionally for the last few years / events... it’s been around Week 7 AFTER the end of the Promo
Even though the AirMiles T&Cs State upfront that it can take up to 120 Days / 4 Months from the Close Date

Last year STB BIG BONUS MILES were POSTED starting the first week of February (7 week mark)
But that event ended on December 14, 2017

STB 2018 from all the info so far will end on December 27, 2018
That’s 2 weeks later than last year
Which means the BIG BONUSES will POST sometime after Mid February (Week 7)
Or as late as the last week of April
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1176 posts
659 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Crap, looking at the list, I can only do 4 , if there are some LCBO one, will be 5. Changing it to 7 different partner make it so difficult.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5460 posts
1257 upvotes
Montreal
smirnoff wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 3:21 am
Never again. Last year I think 1of 7 promos reported correctly without my having to take special action. And that was with the thread as a guide for how exactly to go about making purchases, and not trying to scheme the system. Complete joke of a promo, with basically zero retailers knowing what it is or how to process it. For each purchase, estimate approximately 45 minutes dealing with customer service, on hold with AM, or some other bs. I'm all about going the extra mile to save a buck, but this promo is is as mirage.
I did it for the first time this year. I had a little confusion with one coupon being honoured but no issues otherwise. All promos went through and I received all my miles without having to to contact them at all.

The best part was nearly all the promos were useful to me. IIRC, I made two "unnecessary" purchases totaling about $15 - a large container of Folgers coffee and a jar of chow chow ketchup.
Feb 20, 2004
924 posts
324 upvotes
Looks like I got work cut out for me this year, with 7 different partners. Air miles is making it tougher for me this year. I hope to see some easier online offers.

One thing I learned from last year's promo is to have CASH MILES FOR REDEMPTION, as some offers call for that. I didn't have many cash miles in my account last year so I couldn't do the redemption offers. Yeah, so it was a bit frustrating last year. So if you don't have any cash miles this year, don't fret. Just save some for next Nov. I made a note to do this and am looking forward to doing so. Looking at the flyer, I noticed even this year, air miles wants to reward us for redeeming miles, hence the marketed offers like use 190 cash miles for $20 Rexall purchase. This year I wouldn't even have to spend money to use this specific offer, but use my cash miles. This will offset the cash I have to shell out if I need to do the $100 Safeway offer for example, here in BC and complete more offers. I get air miles wants to pitch to us how great it is to have miles and redeem them. I'm all for it this year.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3222 posts
1096 upvotes
For those who is short on cash miles, remember some of these partners will give you bonus AM back very quickly - Shell,LCBO should be a couple of days max. Sobeys/Foodland/Urban Fresh is about a week. HBC autoconvert is about 2 weeks. Rexall bonus AM seemed to be quick, but returned AM when you redeem took a long time for me last year. There is also Missfresh that I haven't tried yet. They offerred 500AM back so if your first order is less than or equal to $50, you break even and got 1 offer in the bag. If the miles come in before the promotion is over then you can use them for Metro redemption and others. Also, airmilesshop.ca offers 15x AM today. I remember last year Black Friday they had 10x or 15x, and you usually purchasing from 3 retailers will net you 1 offer also. Last resort is applying for those AM credit cards. They give you initial bonus AM after the 1st statement and you can use it for 20 transaction to qualify for 1 offer too. So we shouldn't be too quick to conclude this year STB as difficult when we haven't seen all offers on the table yet. For me I have to do this for all other family members too and I still think it's very doable. Right now, my gas tank is half full and I will do $10 redeem (get 20AM back) each time I need gas till next Thursday which I will do 25L each thereafter :)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1864 posts
644 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 4:50 am
For those who is short on cash miles, remember some of these partners will give you bonus AM back very quickly - Shell,LCBO should be a couple of days max. Sobeys/Foodland/Urban Fresh is about a week. HBC autoconvert is about 2 weeks. Rexall bonus AM seemed to be quick, but returned AM when you redeem took a long time for me last year. There is also Missfresh that I haven't tried yet. They offerred 500AM back so if your first order is less than or equal to $50, you break even and got 1 offer in the bag. If the miles come in before the promotion is over then you can use them for Metro redemption and others. Also, airmilesshop.ca offers 15x AM today. I remember last year Black Friday they had 10x or 15x, and you usually purchasing from 3 retailers will net you 1 offer also. Last resort is applying for those AM credit cards. They give you initial bonus AM after the 1st statement and you can use it for 20 transaction to qualify for 1 offer too. So we shouldn't be too quick to conclude this year STB as difficult when we haven't seen all offers on the table yet. For me I have to do this for all other family members too and I still think it's very doable. Right now, my gas tank is half full and I will do $10 redeem (get 20AM back) each time I need gas till next Thursday which I will do 25L each thereafter :)
An alternative at Shell to spending about $30 on gas and getting 1 + 5 AM is to buy a $50 Gift Card (not Shell) and get 20 + 5. New offer until Jan 6:
"Buy any participating $50 Gift Card and get 20 AIR MILES Bonus Miles."
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1864 posts
644 upvotes
Picked up the (Toronto) Rexall flyer today, good until Nov 15, the first day of STB. There is a section '50 Bonus Miles when you spend $40 on Gillette, Venus, Oral-B, Crest, Olay, Mr Clean, Dawn, Fabreze, ... a number of brands of shampoo, Old Spice or Secret products listed'. But as Erumuh has pointed out, this won't qualify for 'Spend $40' coupon which starts Dec 3.
Last edited by akaManny on Nov 9th, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 22, 2012
335 posts
498 upvotes
akaManny wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 9:02 am
Picked up the (Toronto) Rexall flyer today, good until Nov 15, the first day of STB. For those planning to use the 'Spend $40' coupon, you might consider the flyer '50 Bonus Miles when you spend $40 on Gillette, Venus, Oral-B, Crest, Olay, Mr Clean, Dawn, Fabreze, ... a number of brands of shampoo, Old Spice or Secret products listed'.

But wait until Thursday, Nov 15.
Unfortunately the Rexall spend $40 is timed - starts December 3. Good idea to combine where possible though.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1864 posts
644 upvotes
Erumuh wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 9:40 am
Unfortunately the Rexall spend $40 is timed - starts December 3. Good idea to combine where possible though.
My bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thread Information

There are currently 19 users viewing this thread. (14 members and 5 guests)

cheaper_than_cheap, controller19, User445316, moulamou, bhp, spidey9999, Spiderpal93, Srimok, akaManny, GCSaves, alli, markg1000, static1333, daddymac