• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 4:36 pm
Dec 24, 2007
47 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal
grantz wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 12:38 pm
I don’t think I have ever received the airmiles for these types of events. Having to chase AM to award them to me when I have followed the instructions is just not something I am willing to do..
Just spent 20 minutes on live chat with AM to get the Back to School 1000 miles; had taken screenshots of the 5 purchases in August; emailed them to rep and was fine. To note, only 1 of the 5 had actually made it onto my airmiles transactions so also received ~80 miles that had not been posted.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2868 posts
1255 upvotes
Canada
Spiderman44 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:38 pm
Just spent 20 minutes on live chat with AM to get the Back to School 1000 miles; had taken screenshots of the 5 purchases in August; emailed them to rep and was fine. To note, only 1 of the 5 had actually made it onto my airmiles transactions so also received ~80 miles that had not been posted.
Just crazy that they can’t track and implement this better. Even for online purchases that don’t require human intervention.
May 8, 2015
105 posts
49 upvotes
East York, ON
Where do I get that paper booklet please?
May 17, 2010
164 posts
144 upvotes
ottawa
Leasiderin wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 3:28 pm
At retailers like Shell, Rona, Lowe's, Metro, Sobey's... and sometimes they come in the mail as well.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6223 posts
3818 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Leasiderin wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 3:28 pm
FYI ... the Booklets are not a complete list of all offers & Challenges
One is better off just printing off any necessary coupons from the website once it goes LIVE
If you are serious about this Promo... you are going to be using the website anyhow to keep track of what’s active when, etc
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6223 posts
3818 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TIP - Cash Miles Accumulation BEFORE the STB Event

Anyone looking to accumulate some Cash Miles quickly in anticipation of STB
Should look to AirMiles Partners who are offering Bonus Miles in their Flyers this weekend
That are tied to “short term” promotions
So look to the Partners like
The Grocery Stores (Sobeys Group - Metro - IGA etc) - Pharmacies (Rexall - Jean Coutu) - Shell - LCBO etc

In most cases, Miles from these Partners will post quickly... either just before the start of STB, or in its early days
Thereby giving one Cash Miles to use on Offers with many of the same Partners for the STB Promo

NOTE - Give a Pass to longer term promos, as some of them may end up also being covered by the STB Event over the course of its run
Nov 25, 2002
625 posts
137 upvotes
Kelowna
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 4:37 pm
In my Experience... and many other Loyalty Members (not just AirMiles)
Cashiers rarely have a big picture of what’s happening
Just ask anyone who’s been participating in these AirMiles BIG BONUS EVENTS in the past
Many times it US THE COLLECTORS who have to tell the Cashiers how to use the coupons & offers
So we are sure of getting the Miles & Credits
Despite the fact that the Cashiers are supposedly trained, or there are instructions printed on the coupons
This. Unless you are prepared to be the annoying coupon-holding customer causing a major delay in the line while you talk the cashier through a precise ritual of when to scan what, during a full moon, when the clock strikes exactly 11:37, then basically you should forget about this promo. Also, inevitably, despite all your careful planning you'll still find that it didn't work, and now you must wait three months to claim you missing miles, and hope you still have all the proper documentation for that gas and bag of chips you bought.

Filing court documents via mail from outside of the country is done with less obstacles than collecting your AM in full for this promo.
Nov 4, 2018
7 posts
9 upvotes
smirnoff wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 4:43 pm
This. Unless you are prepared to be the annoying coupon-holding customer causing a major delay in the line while you talk the cashier through a precise ritual of when to scan what, during a full moon, when the clock strikes exactly 11:37, then basically you should forget about this promo. Also, inevitably, despite all your careful planning you'll still find that it didn't work, and now you must wait three months to claim you missing miles, and hope you still have all the proper documentation for that gas and bag of chips you bought.

Filing court documents via mail from outside of the country is done with less obstacles than collecting your AM in full for this promo.
I would respectfully disagree with this. Of my friends and family that do these promotions, it's always obvious who actually reads the instructions. The Air Miles promotions are kind of unique in that they have different partners which all have their own restrictions and processes, so there is no one size fits all that applies or works for every offer/partner. I totally agree that some offers are more complicated than others and sometimes it might take a little bit more diligence in getting down to exactly how one should use a coupon, but the website is great and gives all the information that is needed so as long as you read it, you should be okay.

I find that if I read the instructions of the coupons and understand it well myself, I don't need to worry about the cashier. Of all the times I've done the big promotions, I've never once had any missing miles except for Air Miles shops which always tends to cause issues.

With patience, these promotions are easy to tackle and a good bang for your buck imo. Especially when you understand the little things you can do to ensure your success.
Nov 25, 2002
625 posts
137 upvotes
Kelowna
MillennialPointGal wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 4:51 pm
I would respectfully disagree with this. Of my friends and family that do these promotions, it's always obvious who actually reads the instructions. The Air Miles promotions are kind of unique in that they have different partners which all have their own restrictions and processes, so there is no one size fits all that applies or works for every offer/partner. I totally agree that some offers are more complicated than others and sometimes it might take a little bit more diligence in getting down to exactly how one should use a coupon, but the website is great and gives all the information that is needed so as long as you read it, you should be okay.

I find that if I read the instructions of the coupons and understand it well myself, I don't need to worry about the cashier. Of all the times I've done the big promotions, I've never once had any missing miles except for Air Miles shops which always tends to cause issues.

With patience, these promotions are easy to tackle and a good bang for your buck imo. Especially when you understand the little things you can do to ensure your success.
As a general rule I agree. Most of the time failure to collect on a promo comes down to the fine-print not having been read, understood and followed. Or the person attempted to game the system and collect on the promo in a somewhat dishonest way (for instance, buying 3 cheap hood fans to collect the full 20% on an ikea kitchen promo)... a very ymmv tactic.

I went into last years STB promo with no intention of gaming the system, having read all of the conditions, AND with the RFD thread to provide addition insight into what problems one may encounter with particular retailers or offers. I was also in no way trying to achieve the promo in full while spending as little as possible (buy a chocolate bar 3 times, or whatever stupid crap sobeys was doing last year in ontario). I was mid home-reno and had lots to buy, and hitting the minimum amounts was a non-issue. In three Rona transactions, not one reported the STB promo. Bed Bath and Beyond failed to report the STB promo on an online order (as per the terms). Shell not only failed to report the promo, it failed to report any AM transaction whatsoever. Rexall failed to report the promo. Safeway Liquour failed to report the promo. The sole retailer that correctly reported the promo was a Safeway grocery order. I am in BC fwiw.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6223 posts
3818 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smirnoff wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 4:43 pm

I respectfully disagree as well.

My rant was about Store Cashiers that are AirMiles Partners... who are SUPPOSEDLY trained on the promos... but are not

You can look back thru the past BIG PROMO EVENTS. Folks who had the most issues were because of that sort of hard to control stuff (Customer at the mercy) ... OR folks who admit they ran out to do an Offer / Challenge without reading the fine print requirements... like presenting a coupon, OR thinking it thru (ie Not all Partners are 1 AM / $ 20 Spend... LCBO is 1 AM / $ 30 ... Staples is 1 AM / $ 40 ... to get BONUS Miles often you have to also generate at least 1 Base AirMile)
MillennialPointGal wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 4:51 pm

100% THIS

As I myself said in another post in this topic
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:41 pm
If you follow this topic, and the Tips & Tricks that folks post... including knowing which Retailers / Partners there can be issues with... one typically does little or no chasing with AirMiles after the event.

Most cases where RFDers have not been awarded their miles... it is because they did not follow the exact instructions for each Offer / Challenge... or heed the info that others share in these RFD Topics

I think back here to past issues with
Canada Post via AirMiles Shops.ca
Or the likes of Shell... where one has to get the Cashier to punch in the coupon code in a distinct order etc
Of course the work around, with poor cashiers, or missed opportunities ... in many cases now see more RFDers subscribe to these HOT DEAL Topics and read the various Tips & Tricks and first hand experiences... AND if things don’t work out on first encounter ... not be beyond returning items, and trying again.

I myself have done this at a Partner (Sobey’s) where thanks to these topics I knew the PLU Code to look for on my receipt. When it was not there, i went straight to Customer Service to do a Return / Refund... and buy / try again SUCCESSFULLY with the CSRep
Nov 25, 2002
625 posts
137 upvotes
Kelowna
We can agree to disagree here I think since we had such different outcomes. For anyone considering getting involved in this, I just wanted to share my experience. I was clear on the T&C of the promo, met all the requirements, was in no way gaming the system or trying to spend just enough, and felt fully informed going into each transaction. And in spite of all of that, the majority of transactions were unsuccessful.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1872 posts
650 upvotes
smirnoff wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:25 pm
We can agree to disagree here I think since we had such different outcomes. For anyone considering getting involved in this, I just wanted to share my experience. I was clear on the T&C of the promo, met all the requirements, was in no way gaming the system or trying to spend just enough, and felt fully informed going into each transaction. And in spite of all of that, the majority of transactions were unsuccessful.
I don't doubt that you had a bad experience, even though you met the requirements of the various offers. Maybe there were issues in BC that did not occur in Ontario, from where there are probably the majority of posters. However, we have many people on this thread reporting their experiences and making suggestions, and special thanks to @trystee for summarizing these in one place. Some of these issues likely were with the partner (Sobeys and Shell at the beginning of last year's STB) and some with AM / Loyalty itself. However, AM chat seems to be the best way to resolve the issues of missing points. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall any posts that indicate that the AM chat did NOT resolve missing points. My experience is that AM chat is a really painless way to request missing points and the full STB bonus, 'in the comfort of your own home'.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
5193 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
Website partially up...

Here's the footnote

* Between November 15, 2018 and December 27, 2018, Collectors must make eligible purchases at (i) 7 different AIR MILES Partners using 7 or more different AIR MILES® Shop the Block™ Event Bonus Offers (“Bonus Offers”) and meet the criteria required for each unique Bonus Offer to qualify for the 2,000 Bonus Miles; or (ii) 5 different participating AIR MILES Partners using 5 different Bonus Offers and meet the criteria required for each unique Bonus Offer to qualify for the 1,000 Bonus Miles; or (iii) 3 different participating AIR MILES Partners using 3 different Bonus Offers and meet the criteria required for each unique Bonus Offer to qualify for the 300 Bonus Miles. Criteria, offer periods and spend frequency may vary for each Bonus Offer. Please see the terms and conditions of each unique Bonus Offer for specific details. Bonus Offers available only in the AIR MILES Shop the Block™ Event Coupon Booklet or at airmiles.ca/ShopTheBlock. Limit of one (1) Bonus Offer per Collector Number. Please allow up to 120 days after the Bonus Offer end date for Bonus Miles to be posted to Collector Account.

Thread Information

There are currently 38 users viewing this thread. (22 members and 16 guests)

ziyizhu9, hill15, PointsHubby, controller19, 775681, srz5095, tjason, phht, dibella360, smartiesummer, azncapcom, cbt123, silverele, gosamburu, ttoommyy, MisterX, ablok, krazynuck, jonnieh, zhuranzhang, akaManny, mkl38s