• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 4:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3038 posts
5883 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Thanks to all that have given updates and tips for STB 2018 thus far.

I've updated the main posting with the news that the website shows coming soon (thanks @akaManny for the heads-up).

I've also added tips & tricks from posts so far in post #2 and referenced them to the poster and posting #s for elaboration.

Since each post is limited to something like 61,000 characters, I hope those posters that I've quoted for tips are ok that I've rephrased/summarized some of them to save space. I've also removed any extraneous data from URLs.

I like @PointsHubby's suggestion (thanks) to BOLD & CAPITALIZE any tips anyone might have. It makes it easier for myself and others to pick out of (assuming) many posts to come. Remember I have 61K characters for post #2, so please be precise yet brief.

I need a nap. :)
May 7, 2012
583 posts
204 upvotes
smirnoff wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:25 pm
We can agree to disagree here I think since we had such different outcomes. For anyone considering getting involved in this, I just wanted to share my experience. I was clear on the T&C of the promo, met all the requirements, was in no way gaming the system or trying to spend just enough, and felt fully informed going into each transaction. And in spite of all of that, the majority of transactions were unsuccessful.
After all the years of getting hard-earned miles diluted and deteriorating reward options/inventory you bet I'm going for max miles with min spend! Good luck all!
Oct 22, 2012
336 posts
499 upvotes
trystee wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 8:44 pm
I need a nap. :)
When I was younger, naptime was a punishment.

Now, it's like a mini-vacation.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1551 posts
1182 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Perfect timing
Will be able to combine STB with Black Friday shopping, nice
Feb 8, 2015
155 posts
34 upvotes
Manotick, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 4:27 pm
FYI ... the Booklets are not a complete list of all offers & Challenges
One is better off just printing off any necessary coupons from the website once it goes LIVE
If you are serious about this Promo... you are going to be using the website anyhow to keep track of what’s active when, etc
If you are serious about this promo, you have a private excel spreadsheet keeping track of which promos you've done and which promos have posted on airmiles.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
5193 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
garmium wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:11 am
If you are serious about this promo, you have a private excel spreadsheet keeping track of which promos you've done and which promos have posted on airmiles.
Yup. that's what I did, esp if you have to manage more than one account
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1052 posts
946 upvotes
Halifax
I am going to try this promo. I upvoted the OP. BUT I just don't get people's rationalization of a poorly implemented program and siding with a corporation. I am just ranting.

First, if you do the bare minimum or find a 'loophole' you are not gaming the program, and are not being unethical. You don't go to a movie and pay over the minimum. You don't buy an overpriced chocolate bar at a gas station because they don't make much on gas. The corporation sets the rules. They expect you to follow the rules. If you follow their rules, then you are good. There is no spirit of a promotion.

Let's not blame the poor cashiers who are there just to work. There are myriads of coupons and promos. It is up to the corporations to make their systems work and not put it on the shoulders of minimum wage employees. If it's not simple and easy to understand quickly, then they need to automate it, ,or make it easier in other ways.

There is no reason why you should have to have a spreadsheet, screenshots, recordings etc, to prove you did the program to their exact specs. They take your money right away, instantly. You can't walk out the door without giving them your money at that very moment. Why is it OK then to make you wait weeks and months to find out if everything went as planned? If the promo worked it should be credited to your account immediately, just like they take your money immediately.

I guarantee you (yes, it's a guess) that for every 1 person here who has the system down pat and catalogs and records and blah blah blah, there are literally a thousand people who don't get the promo. Is it their fault? Many here think so, yet Airmiles has GIANT lettering that says shop 7 stores get 2000 points. It's just that easy. But it's not. Most here are willing to 'fight' with a company to make sure they honour their own promotions. Thousands who don't visit here do not.

Again, I upvoted the OP, I will do the promotion and I will make sure I do it with spending as little as possible but it's a ridiculous expectation that the company gets away with such shoddy business practices and people here defend them.

Anyways, it's just a rant and I won't bother responding. I honestly don't understand people who defend a company for a poor program and blame... the consumer, the other companies, the employees, the cashiers, when it is Airmiles who is ultimately responsible for a poorly implemented program. But I am sure AM is happy because they probably get 1000s of people to buy stuff, but 'oh sorry, you didn't quite get it' or 'sorry there was a glitch' or whatever other myriad (I used myriad twice) of reasons to deny the consumer.
Dec 11, 2009
44 posts
43 upvotes
GTA
tdracer wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:51 am
I am going to try this promo. I upvoted the OP. BUT...[snip]...
You raise some very good points. It is to be hoped that the AM powers-that-be are following this thread and see these kind of comments, and perhaps do something about it.

That said -- I, too, will be following this thread for the upcoming promo (as a revitalised collector) . Thanks to the contributors.

Nov 9, 2013
471 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver
You have to be very careful with their wording in the T&C’s. Last year I got screwed out of about 2000 miles due to this. I read it as cumulative purchases over $1000 between two dates and even went on chat to confirm it was cumulative and it was confirmed to me, however when it came time to collect after the 120 days they said it was in a single purchase. The wording didn’t say that exactly and I spent a long time going back and forth with them even proving I was told by a rep that it was cumulative. In the end I was not given the miles.
Dec 26, 2012
62 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
i'm going to try but it may be tough. i was able to do it last year and got onyx for the very first time.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1872 posts
650 upvotes
Trophy23 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:39 am
You have to be very careful with their wording in the T&C’s. Last year I got screwed out of about 2000 miles due to this. I read it as cumulative purchases over $1000 between two dates and even went on chat to confirm it was cumulative and it was confirmed to me, however when it came time to collect after the 120 days they said it was in a single purchase. The wording didn’t say that exactly and I spent a long time going back and forth with them even proving I was told by a rep that it was cumulative. In the end I was not given the miles.
Which partner had a spend $1000 offer in last year's STB?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6226 posts
3818 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 4:27 pm

FYI ... the Booklets are not a complete list of all offers & Challenges
One is better off just printing off any necessary coupons from the website once it goes LIVE
If you are serious about this Promo... you are going to be using the website anyhow to keep track of what’s active when, etc
garmium wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:11 am
Absolutely

Ya gotta keep on top of what’s on offer, what are the T&Cs, what you’ve used, how many miles are PENDING, who’s POSTED, and what your Partner count is at PENDING vs POSTED

Lol, I guess I did not mention the Spreadsheet, cause it’s just a FACT OF LIFE for so many RFDers who collect AirMiles
We talk it about it’s benefits often in the main RFD Topic
AirMiles (2018 General Discussion) = airmiles-2018-general-discussion-2159478/
May 7, 2012
583 posts
204 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:31 am
Absolutely

Ya gotta keep on top of what’s on offer, what are the T&Cs, what you’ve used, how many miles are PENDING, who’s POSTED, and what your Partner count is at PENDING vs POSTED

Lol, I guess I did not mention the Spreadsheet, cause it’s just a FACT OF LIFE for so many RFDers who collect AirMiles
We talk it about it’s benefits often in the main RFD Topic
AirMiles (2018 General Discussion) = airmiles-2018-general-discussion-2159478/
I didn't take this 'seriously' until now and just worked it out on the back of one their envelopes. But I missed a couple promos due to 'life' and now I'm interested enough to Excel this thing.
Can anyone offer up a template?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6226 posts
3818 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
tdracer wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:51 am
I am going to try this promo. I upvoted the OP. BUT I just don't get people's rationalization of a poorly implemented program and siding with a corporation. I am just ranting.
[snip] ...
And a good rant it was... I also upvoted it

But the truth is... the Program is what it is

For the most part, as an informed AirMile Collector, I have NO ISSUE with AirMiles

(Unlike so many who did during the 2016 Points Expiry Fiasco... and that’s primarily because I AM INFORMED
The main complainers about the Points Fiasco for example, were folks who were just “casual Collectors” who were not plugged in and paying attention... if they had been, they would have used to 5 Year Warning from AirMiles to plan out a strategy on what to do in anticipation of E-Day on December 31, 2016. I am not saying AirMiles was totally faultless... but there also has to be some burden on the Consumer to know what’s going on)

AirMiles is a Loyalty Program made up of a group of Partners

And let’s face it not all the Partners are as fully engaged as others... and they have different Point of Sales Systems, Marketing etc

So the downfall especially at times of these BIG BONUS EVENTS is that everyone handles things differently... not only what there is for Offers... but how they train their staff

I am sorry, if it looked like I went off on the Cashiers ... cause that was not my intention... I am All IN 100% Behind folks who work in service

My post was more about the Partners NOT TRAINING THEIR STAFF PROPERLY ON THESE AMs BIG BONUS EVENTS
(My exact wording was the Cashiers, were SUPPOSEDLY Trained ... implying that the downfall here was the Partner Mgmt)

In any case...

All this IS WHAT IT IS

If folks truly want to maximize their annual Miles with AirMiles... then ya, then there is work to be done by the Collector

At 2000 BIG BONUS MILES for Shop The Block this represents $ 210 in next to FREE dollars
(Believing that most RFDers who Collect do so on a minimum cash outlay... or by buying stuff they were going to buy anyhow)

2000 BAMs from Shop The Block
1250 BAMs from MegaMiles
1000 BAMs from Pack to School
That’s 4250 Miles Annually JUST from BIG BONUS EVENTS
Or 70% of what is needed to obtain / requalify for Onyx (6000 AirMiles)

And for major collectors like myself... who is closing in on 10,000 Miles Earned in 2018
A $ 1000 Value...
Ya a bit of time spent working the program, tracking the miles is definitely worth it
When my 10,000 Miles will get me 2 Return Tickets anywhere in North America
(Canada - USA - Mexico - Caribbean - or Bermuda) a value that far exceeeds that $ 1000 Value in most circumstances

Like I said... it is what it is
C’est la vie
If I wasn’t this engaged, as a Casual Collector I no doubt would be like the 1000s who have an AirMiles Card in my wallet collecting more dust and a few hundred miles a year
IF ONLY they too knew what they truly had at their fingertips.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 8th, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 11, 2008
908 posts
301 upvotes
Honestly, promo hasn't even started and the thread is 9 pages long. Last years thread was almost 100 pages - as much as one would want to read through others experiences, who has the time to read all the content in these massive threads. Keep it to the point ppl - short and sweet

Thread Information

There are currently 31 users viewing this thread. (20 members and 11 guests)

Ahtusavis, gzlwl, PointsHubby, meetthemonster, kargesd, dyingfool, MillennialPointGal, adilh53, marmalade12, Tiberius, sixb0nes, azncapcom, flash67, Spiderpal93, MMMM, SRI101, Erumuh, pwr1019, rtsam77, razrez