• Aug 16th, 2018 4:48 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6055 posts
853 upvotes
Markham

Air travel in Canada - lounge recommendations

Hi all,

I'm travelling with my young family from Toronto to Western Canada (Vancouver and Calgary) on our first family trip (wish me luck - we have a rambunctious 2 year old who's been in the terrible twos since he was 1, and a 5 month old), and was looking for advice on the best lounges to make use of

We'll be at terminal 1 at YYZ
Concourse C at YYC
Terminal/Concourse D at YVR

YYC it looks like the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge is the way to go, and YVR maybe the plaza premium lounge at gate B15. It also looks like the Maple Leaf Lounge is the way to go at YYZ as well.

There are so many options! Hence looking for some advice about where to go!

Recommendations on a second best option at each would also be nice!

Thanks!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Unless you're going to keep your kids in check, I'm going to suggest you stay out of the lounge.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Plaza:
-Generally better hot items
-Heineken beer
-Showers
-Feels like a staff lounge since airline employees have access
-Clear winner at YVR

Maple Leaf:
-Better bar selection
-Larger and more room to spread
-Some even have a kids area
-Clear winner at YYZ
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
this isn't really that much of flying, just hang out in the airport, there are resteraunts and kids areas, some even have playgrounds inside. its not like your doing a 24 hour multi leg flight (unless you really got a bad flight)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
You should also consider that for your trip, you will only have access to the less desirable domestic lounges.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
YYZ MLL has a kids area. PP doesn't, but has better food.

For CC's with lounge access, check this thread.
13inches wrote: Unless you're going to keep your kids in check, I'm going to suggest you stay out of the lounge.
No need for such snarky remark. Are you going to tell people unless their kid keeps quiet the entire flight they shouldn't fly?
As long as they have access to a lounge, they can go in and use it. Reasonable people know they'll look after their kids.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6055 posts
853 upvotes
Markham
^thanks...first time flying with kids...very much will try not to impact others...but they are kids

so looks like:

YYZ = MLL (but PP better food)
YVR = plaza

I feel like i read that at YYZ the MLL and PP are very close to each other...since any MLL i get will be based on aeroplan reward flight (which this trip is likely my only one this year), i may try and check out both

any thoughts on YYC anyone?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
adeel wrote: ^thanks...first time flying with kids...very much will try not to impact others...but they are kids

so looks like:

YYZ = MLL (but PP better food)
YVR = plaza

I feel like i read that at YYZ the MLL and PP are very close to each other...since any MLL i get will be based on aeroplan reward flight (which this trip is likely my only one this year), i may try and check out both

any thoughts on YYC anyone?
Are you a frequent flyer for business travel? If you don't get free access to these lounges then IMO they really aren't worth paying for, especially for a family. I am only familiar with the MLL's, but I can tell you that for the most part the food is limited and of low quality especially for kids (mine don't run for the lake salad!). The only benefit is free refreshments and a place to sit that's quieter and more comfortable - if you can find a seat.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6055 posts
853 upvotes
Markham
dolfan1980 wrote: Are you a frequent flyer for business travel? If you don't get free access to these lounges then IMO they really aren't worth paying for, especially for a family. I am only familiar with the MLL's, but I can tell you that for the most part the food is limited and of low quality especially for kids (mine don't run for the lake salad!). The only benefit is free refreshments and a place to sit that's quieter and more comfortable - if you can find a seat.
i have the credit cards necessary to get me access.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6055 posts
853 upvotes
Markham
McKinsey wrote: Plaza:
-Generally better hot items
-Heineken beer
-Showers
-Feels like a staff lounge since airline employees have access
-Clear winner at YVR

Maple Leaf:
-Better bar selection
-Larger and more room to spread
-Some even have a kids area
-Clear winner at YYZ
i assume the plaza you are referring to at YVR is the gate b15 one?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
adeel wrote: i assume the plaza you are referring to at YVR is the gate b15 one?
I'm not sure of the gate area, but it's near the WestJet gates, if you are flying with AC, tack on 10 minutes to walk back.

Last time I was in YVR was 3 years ago, and the Plaza had made-to-order food items like burgers, club sandwiches etc...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Arrgh wrote: YYZ MLL has a kids area. PP doesn't, but has better food.

For CC's with lounge access, check this thread.

No need for such snarky remark. Are you going to tell people unless their kid keeps quiet the entire flight they shouldn't fly?
As long as they have access to a lounge, they can go in and use it. Reasonable people know they'll look after their kids.
I do not believe it was a "snarky comment" at all. It was and is a very correct statement.
I travel a lot and have been to many lounges and they are all geared for the business traveler, not families. They are generally very quiet places with little to do except work, read magazines and watch news on the TV screens. The food is not geared to be a meal but just a "snack". While they do have some cookies and such, rarely is there food for a 2 year old let alone a 5 month old.
As others have said, both YYZ and YVR have children's areas where the kids can play. Also, why even get to the airports so early to spend time and money to get in (up to $70 per person) in a lounge? You can use that money to buy food and drinks they like and let them play in the kid zones.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
I would agree with Pete_Coach. The lounges are more for relaxing, eating snacks and drinking. I find most airports have more open spaces in the public for children to run around. However, I'm assuming you want to take advantage of the free access you have with your CC. Then just go to all of them!
Jan 31, 2007
512 posts
341 upvotes
The intl and transborder areas at YYC have some great space and dining options. Aspire lounges in both are excellent at YYC IMHO. Some people have a hate on for the new terminal at YYC because it doesn't have much seating at the gate areas. Well simple answer for that, don't go to the gate area before it's boarding time. Lots of seating otherwise.

However, you are traveling domestic, and the domestic lounges (Swissport/Chinook) suck, including MLL. The usual mix of sandwiches, yucky soup, pretzel mix, ok drinks. No showers. If it wasn't entirely free, I wouldn't bother. Grab a drink and leave maybe.

But in general across North America, I would never consider arriving at an airport early to use any lounge or airport facility (except maybe Amex centurion, but that's still a maybe) . Unless of course I've already had to give up my hotel room and had no storage for my luggage.