Ongoing Deal Discussion

Airalo

Travel Prepaid Plans 7, 30 day Plans Available! 1-10GB from $2-28 USD. eSIM Only.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2024 9:03 pm
Jan 2, 2018
74 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
moommen wrote: Thanks for letting me know.

Decided to try Rogers chat. Here's the information I was provided:

With the new version of Android, the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a XL users are getting dual-SIM support with the Dual SIM Dual Standby option. The feature will make use of the eSIM support and the one physical SIM card slot present in both smartphones.

She mentioned that the activation has to be done in store.

A lot of varying information coming from Rogers regarding the Pixel 3 Xl and E-sim. 3 agents, 3 different stories.

Guess I'll head to a store to see if they can activate an E-Sim.
There are different variants of the pixel 3/xl that support esim. Take the rogers advice as a grain of salt because I got the same run around with Google support reps where some flat out said all pixel 3/xl support esim and advised me to go to my provider to activate.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
3117 posts
1665 upvotes
I used Airalo in Cancun in December. Even though its 3G, its perfectly acceptable imo. I was able to use navigation and hotspot the entire drive from Cancan to Chichen Itza. Also worked flawlessly from Cancun to Isla Mujeres, and then on the Island itself. It would obviously be better if it was LTE, but when your on vacation, who really cares as long as the signal works and you can look up stuff and use navigation.

I have a huge amount of credits built up from the fiasco earlier this year, but even after I exhaust that I will be using this service because it has made the process so easy. Just disable your main line and active the esim. No fumbling with sim ejector tools and looking for your nano sim in the airplane when you land.

One note though - You have to manually select the network you will be using. For some reason, if you let it automatically select the network, it will stop working randomly.
Apr 10, 2005
82 posts
198 upvotes
Canada
Just got back from the Orlando area, trying this. Was very disappointed in the service, to often i was getting no service and unable to do anything on the phone. When it did work work the speed was decent enough, It was on the Verizon network.
Next time I will defiantly be trying something else
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1689 posts
1258 upvotes
Calgary
warrenb007 wrote: Just got back from the Orlando area, trying this. Was very disappointed in the service, to often i was getting no service and unable to do anything on the phone. When it did work work the speed was decent enough, It was on the Verizon network.
My friend lives in Orlando and she hates Verizon. There are lots of dead spots.
Apr 10, 2005
82 posts
198 upvotes
Canada
Sounds like the issue i was having. Worked at the place i was staying at, but going out at night was hit and miss, lots more misses
Dec 10, 2019
6 posts
warrenb007 wrote: Just got back from the Orlando area, trying this. Was very disappointed in the service, to often i was getting no service and unable to do anything on the phone. When it did work work the speed was decent enough, It was on the Verizon network.
Since when was the esim on Verizon? Its been on T-Mobile at least since Dec.. And there site still states its on T-Mobile not Verizon
Apr 10, 2005
82 posts
198 upvotes
Canada
Phone was showing Verizon network when I was there, not sure why if its supposed to be on T-Mobile
Apr 1, 2007
531 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
fatcowxlive wrote: Used it in Spain. The 4G is of Vodaphone and it was really quick. Easy, seamless process, defenitly a fan!
I used Truphone eSim in my last trip to Spain and the quality was at par with Vodaphone. I’ll give Airalo a try my next trip as it is cheaper. Thank you for sharing.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13461 posts
4619 upvotes
GTA
Anybody happen to use this in northern Italy, Switzerland or Paris and how was the coverage? Thx

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 26, 2015
480 posts
398 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I am currently using 30 days Norway plan with Telna. Data aspect is working nice unfortunately no audio or video calls supported through any app. Like WhatsApp or FaceTime , Facebook Messenger , duo or even fongo.
Oct 29, 2016
155 posts
160 upvotes
Markham, ON
I’m in Orlando, FL at this moment and gave up after 4 days. It’s slow as hell and the coverage has tons of dead spots, although it seems that I always have network, some spot just do not work.

Uses T-Mobile network here. I enabled Koodo roaming that uses Verizon and the difference is night and day.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13461 posts
4619 upvotes
GTA
systemdude wrote: I am currently using 30 days Norway plan with Telna. Data aspect is working nice unfortunately no audio or video calls supported through any app. Like WhatsApp or FaceTime , Facebook Messenger , duo or even fongo.
So even though you have data, you can't do video calls......How is this possible?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5026 posts
1788 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Scodino wrote: I’m in Orlando, FL at this moment and gave up after 4 days. It’s slow as hell and the coverage has tons of dead spots, although it seems that I always have network, some spot just do not work.

Uses T-Mobile network here. I enabled Koodo roaming that uses Verizon and the difference is night and day.
I'm in Florida in April sooooooooooooooo this is a pass? Good to know.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
They can offer cheaper Canada data then the Canadian carriers?
Oct 29, 2016
155 posts
160 upvotes
Markham, ON
hyperactiveme wrote: I'm in Florida in April sooooooooooooooo this is a pass? Good to know.
If you’re going to Orlando area, I’d say so. But you can always give it a try with the 1GB plan that costs only US$3 before deciding for something else. Other cities may have better coverage.

Just ran a speed test at Epcot and these are the results. And it’s one one the best places so far with 3 bars. See the screenshot attached.
56DAB5BE-6303-4551-8F52-024FFB4A1D77.png
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2016
1039 posts
705 upvotes
Scodino wrote: If you’re going to Orlando area, I’d say so. But you can always give it a try with the 1GB plan that costs only US$3 before deciding for something else. Other cities may have better coverage.

Just ran a speed test at Epcot and these are the results. And it’s one one the best places so far with 3 bars. See the screenshot attached.

56DAB5BE-6303-4551-8F52-024FFB4A1D77.png
T-Mobile coverage in Disney in general is awful
Feb 8, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
My experience with Pixel 3 and 3XL and Esim.

What I found was that my 3XL bought through Google, I was able to add an Esim last year from Flexiroam. And used it in The UK and Spain and Portugal with no issue. However, When I tried to add an Esim to my Wife's Pixel 3. We discovered that the carrier bought pixel was handcuffed and I was unable to add the Esim. The settings were Greyed out. And the carrier unwilling to help as they didn't support Esim on the Pixel 3 (So I was told).

I've seen elsewhere in this Thread that IMIE starting with 99 (Mine) Works fine and my wifes IMIE (35) Don't work, Is True in my case.

I suspect, Carriers are still trying to lock you up, letting you add 'their' esim, but not others, Forcing you do still get a traditional Sim while roaming. Moving forward, I am going to forgo carrier bought phones to avoid this problem in the future. While I haven't tried Airlo yet, I'm going to get a Europe Airlo Esim in Sept, and see how that goes in the Baltics. (I do have a backup plan if there is problems)

=)

D.
---Will work for Travel.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5026 posts
1788 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
That's where we're going. Maybe better off with Amazon sim card
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
hyperactiveme wrote: I'm in Florida in April sooooooooooooooo this is a pass? Good to know.
Was in Ft Lauderdale in January. T-Mobile was fine. Used a Lycamobile sim bought off amazon.ca. Very inexpensive, a lot of data and texts, calls to Canada, etc ... A month for $21 cdn.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)