None
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

AirAsia to launch Southeast Asian air pass on Jan 15th, 2015

from http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ac103672 ... n-air-pass

[QUOTE]Budget carrier AirAsia said Thursday it will launch a regional air pass next year to increase revenue and boost tourism in Southeast Asia, taking competition in low-cost air travel to a more intense level.

Chief Executive Tony Fernandes said the AirAsia ASEAN Pass will allow travelers to fly to 10 different destinations in Southeast Asia in one month for 499 ringgit ($148), excluding airport taxes.

He said it will be the "catalyst" for increased air travel within Southeast Asia and also lure foreign tourists.

The pass will be sold from Jan. 15 and further details will be announced at the time, officials said.[/QUOTE]

499.00 MYR = 167.03 CAD according to ExchangeRateWeb.com

Anyone interested?
37 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
I used Air Asia a lot in my recent trip to SE Asia. This is very interesting. That whole region is very competitive as there are a whole bunch of different discount airlines there.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
shoot, I wish I'd known that before. I've booked 4 upcoming flights with them for next March!
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3519 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for posting. Thanked.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
That's hot! I've never had any issues with Air Asia
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Sep 25, 2014
75 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Definitely going to take advantage of this when it's out. Air Asia is a great airline. Great looking flight attendants which is a nice bonus. Never had any issues with this LCC.
Jan 8, 2012
887 posts
744 upvotes
Williams Lake
Looking at a trip to Hong Kong this spring, but with that I might have to expand my horizons.

Thanks for the post, OP.

cheers

asdf
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Anyone reconsidering purchasing this after the recent AirAsia crash? :(
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
no, not really. If you're going to stay away from every airline that had a plane crash, you better stay on the ground I think.
Dec 31, 2009
221 posts
24 upvotes
Markham
knuks101 wrote: no, not really. If you're going to stay away from every airline that had a plane crash, you better stay on the ground I think.
you have to think about the economics of these airlines.They cant give you the cheap fares,have good maintenance,have good profit for the company ,while giving bribes to various people all at the same time.Sometimes they have to fly unauthorized route even for a few months without being noticed.How did that happen without greasing someones( and a lot of someones)palms as a former PM famously said.
Something 's got to give.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
as far as I know, it's the first Air Asia plane that came down, since they started in 2001. And planes have come down from non-budget airlines as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2220 upvotes
Nice, thanks for the heads up!
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Since they exclude airport taxes, you might as well forgo the pass and just book your one-way tickets now. Singapore-Kuala Lumpur, for example, is $0 plus tax. Tip: shop in Singapore dollars (valued slightly less than the Canadian dollar) unless you want to pretend you are paying less than you are by shopping in US dollars.

Visa on arrival for Indonesia: US$35 (plus cash departure tax of 200,000 Rp (C$18). Evisas (you need pictures): Vietnam: $100, Cambodia: $45, Myanmar, if I remember correctly, at around $80. No visa required for Malaysia, Singapore or Thailand. Keep in mind Thailand is under martial law thanks to this spring's coup d'État.

Like most airlines, Air Asia uses yield management, so last minute fares can be quite expensive. Don't forget about hotels, as costs can be quite high (or low). You're not going to find affordable beach front hotels like you would in the Caribbean (not that walking a few hundred meters will kill you).

AirAsia flies (dirt cheap) directly into Siem Reap from Kuala Lumpur, but they make you spend the night in Cambodia.

Be rational about your risk taking. If you pay more for a "safe" airline and then ride a Tuk tuk or rent a scooter, you are not being rational. There are 100,000 flights a day in the world. 3300 people a day die in road accidents. 115 a day in Indonesia, 72 a day in Thailand. We keep airlines safe for the people on the ground. Our roads are absurdly unsafe by comparison.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote: Since they exclude airport taxes, you might as well forgo the pass and just book your one-way tickets now. Singapore-Kuala Lumpur, for example, is $0 plus tax.
Yeah, if you will be booking your tickets before you leave, then it's probably cheaper to book them separately. But just like European rail passes, these are good if you'll be traveling spontaneously. Deciding where you want to go the next day and booking right then, then you're better off buying the pass.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
well, we've booked our 4 flights a few months ago already, so I there's no point for us in buying the pass anyway.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
MonctonMan wrote: Visa on arrival for Indonesia: US$35 (plus cash departure tax of 200,000 Rp (C$18). Evisas (you need pictures): Vietnam: $100, Cambodia: $45, Myanmar, if I remember correctly, at around $80. No visa required for Malaysia, Singapore or Thailand. Keep in mind Thailand is under martial law thanks to this spring's coup d'État.
All your visa fees are incorrect. Indonesia's visa is $55. Vietnam's visa is $45, Cambodia's is $30, and Myanmar's is $30. And the martial law in Thailand is a complete non-issue as there are no restrictions for tourists.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
heymikey wrote: Yeah, if you will be booking your tickets before you leave, then it's probably cheaper to book them separately. But just like European rail passes, these are good if you'll be traveling spontaneously. Deciding where you want to go the next day and booking right then, then you're better off buying the pass.
That's not how Cathay Pacific's now defunct air pass worked. You had to book all your flights in advance.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Talamasca wrote: All your visa fees are incorrect. Indonesia's visa is $55. Vietnam's visa is $45, Cambodia's is $30, and Myanmar's is $30. And the martial law in Thailand is a complete non-issue as there are no restrictions for tourists.
Source?
Indonesia: US$35

The rest have stamping fees if all you have is the evisa/confirmation you'll be let in. I included stamping fees in my estimates.

And I'm sorry, it's not a complete non-issue to have the military in charge in Thailand. See Security.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)