Off Topic

Airbnb host cancels Asian woman's reservation at the last minute, telling her: 'It's why we have Trump'

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2017 11:34 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
8302 posts
3225 upvotes
Toronto

Airbnb host cancels Asian woman's reservation at the last minute, telling her: 'It's why we have Trump'

This is bad..... really bad........ Imagine you are in a new city and get stranded like this without any accommodation at the last minute ... and the host proclaims.. this is why we have Trump.... :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04 ... e-telling/

Dyne Suh asked why her Airbnb reservation was cancelled at the last minute, and was told: 'One word: Asian.'

Harriet Alexander, new york
8 APRIL 2017 • 7:49PM

Airbnb has banned a woman in California for listing her home on their site after she cancelled an Asian student’s booking, telling her: “This is why we have Trump.”

Dyne Suh, a 25-year-old law student from Riverside in California, was travelling to the ski resort of Big Bear Lake with her boyfriend and two friends. Miss Suh had contacted the Airbnb host prior to their arrival to confirm the booking.

But, three minutes from their destination, the host told Miss Suh they were no longer welcome.

"She said 'we're done' and cancelled the trip," said Miss Suh in a YouTube video, captured by a local journalist who happened to be parked next to a sobbing Miss Suh and her friends.

In the video, accompanied by text messages showing their conversation, she explains that she asked why their booking had been cancelled.

"And she said: 'One word says it all: Asian. It's why we have Trump.' "

Miss Suh, choking back tears, said she told the host that she would report her to Airbnb.

"We can't have foreigners telling us what to do," the host responded, according to Miss Suh.

Miss Suh, who emigrated from South Korea when she was three, said it shows the depth of racism in the US.

Writing on Facebook after the February incident, she pointed out it was far worse for people with darker skin or Muslims.

"It stings that after living in the US for over 23 years this is what happens," she said in the video. "No matter how well I treat others, if you're Asian you're less than human, and people can treat you like trash.

"People thought with the election of President Obama, racism is over in this country — no, it's very much alive," she said.

"It exists, and it can happen to anyone."

Miss Suh reported the host, who was removed from the site.

"We have worked to provide the guest with our full support and in line with our non-discrimination policy, this host has been permanently removed from the Airbnb platform," said Airbnb in a statement, adding that the company considers the host's behaviour "abhorrent and unacceptable."

Last year, Airbnb launched a three-month "comprehensive review," which concluded that "minorities struggle more than others to book a listing."

Subsequently, the site implemented a new policy requiring hosts to treat all guests "with respect."

"We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community," the company's new policy reads.

Miss Suh said she hopes that telling her story will encourage others to speak out.

“I hope the story encourages more people to come out and share their own countless experiences of being racially discriminated against, and promotes a trend of more people finding ways to keep evidence of having been discriminated against,” she wrote on Facebook.

http://mashable.com/2017/04/07/asian-airbnb-racism/

Airbnb has permanently banned a host who cancelled a woman's reservation because she was Asian.

Dyne Suh, a 23-year-old American law student, shared in a video that she had her Airbnb reservation in California abruptly cancelled after she contacted the host to confirm her stay.

"I wouldn't rent it to you if you were the last person on earth," the host said in a message to Suh.

"One word says it all. Asian."

The video of Suh has since gone viral, gaining almost 40,000 shares.

The incident started when Suh and her two friends were on their way to Big Bear in California in February.

"The four of us made a reservation on Airbnb about a month ago and I asked the [host] if two more friends would be ok," Suh says in the video.

"She said that's fine, we just have to pay more money."

However, as Suh and her friends were making their way to Big Bear, she messaged the host again to confirm the reservation.

The host then told Suh that she was no longer welcome and immediately cancelled the reservation.

"I asked the woman again, is it OK if my two friends come, like should we give you cash?" says Suh in the video.

"She says 'Absolutely not...you must be high if you think that that would be ok in the busiest weekend in Big Bear' and she cancelled the trip."

Suh then replies that she would report the case to Airbnb, provoking the woman to answer with "Go ahead...this is why we have Trump...we can't have foreigners telling us what to do."

According to Suh, who happens to be studying Critical Race Studies, she is an "American citizen...this is my home...since I was three."

Airbnb said the host had been "permanently removed", calling her behaviour "abhorrent and unacceptable," in a statement.

"We have worked to provide the guest with our full support," Christopher Nulty, an Airbnb spokesman told news outlet NBC4.

"This host has been permanently removed from the platform."

Mashable has reached out to Dyne Suh for comment.

Airbnb host reportedly cancels guest’s reservation last minute ‘over her race’

'One word says it all: Asian': Airbnb host reportedly cancels guest’s reservation last minute ‘over her race’
Yahoo7 News on April 9, 2017, 3:26 pm

An Airbnb host in the US has been banned from the service after reportedly cancelling a reservation at the last minute due to the guest’s race.

An Airbnb spokesperson told Fortune that the host had been permanently removed from the platform.

“This behavior is abhorrent and unacceptable,” the company wrote in an email.

Dyne Suh, a 25-year-old law student at the University of California, Los Angeles, posted screenshots on her Facebook earlier this week revealing a text encounter with the host in which they refused to rent to her because she was Asian.

“I wouldn’t rent to u if u were the last person on earth,” the host’s message reads, according to Suh’s screenshots, before adding: “One word says it all: Asian.”

Suh told media outlets she and her fiance had booked a mountain cabin at Big Bear Lake in California about a month before their scheduled trip in February.

Later, she messaged the host and asked if they could add two friends and two puppies to the reservation.

The host said those accommodations were fine, Suh told the Washington Post on Friday, after the story was initially reported by NBC 4 Los Angeles.

The group traveled up the mountain on 17 February, which coincided with a major snow storm that was hitting the region at that time.

They were minutes away from the cabin, Suh told the Post, when Suh messaged the host to inform them that the group was close, as well as inquiring how they should pay for the additional guests.

That’s when the host started “spewing racism,” as Suh said her Facebook post.

“Go ahead... It’s why we have Trump... I will not allow this country to be told what to do by foreigners,” the host wrote, according to the screenshots, before cancelling the reservation.

The property that was listed for rent. Source: Facebook

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/34968058/ai ... ace/#page1
Last edited by Pochacco on Apr 10th, 2017 8:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
87 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20486 posts
4556 upvotes
Poormond Hill
One day all these ignorants will no longer be around. They will be a minority and will feel the wrath of how to be treated like one.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9887 posts
1429 upvotes
Another reason not to travel to United States.

At least AirBNB banned the host.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1660 posts
795 upvotes
Moon
Why would she even accept her booking in the first place if she is so racist? Lunatic.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3608 posts
509 upvotes
Applesmack wrote: Why would she even accept her booking in the first place if she is so racist? Lunatic.
It was probably done deliberately, so when she arrives, she will have nowhere to stay and will have to scramble to find accommodation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8649 posts
1076 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It does look like the host deliberately led the girl on so that she'd be stranded.
AirBnB should have some kind of contingency built in place for managing cases of last minute situations. It's a tough balance for them because they want to protect both parties, but there should be something.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31325 posts
5538 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
uber_shnitz wrote: It does look like the host deliberately led the girl on so that she'd be stranded.
AirBnB should have some kind of contingency built in place for managing cases of last minute situations. It's a tough balance for them because they want to protect both parties, but there should be something.
It is too hard to accomplish.

You can't have a second reservation in place, that would mean lost revenue for the second location if the first one was accepted. They would have no chance of renting out the spot at the last minute.

The incentive is there. I guess skin colour trumps cash.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8649 posts
1076 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Gee wrote: It is too hard to accomplish.

You can't have a second reservation in place, that would mean lost revenue for the second location if the first one was accepted. They would have no chance of renting out the spot at the last minute.

I agree it'd be very difficult to accomplish so it's probably just one of those risks you take, I just wonder whether they've thought of something at all. It's probably just easier for AirBnB to refund you a hotel stay in these cases.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3608 posts
509 upvotes
Gee wrote: It is too hard to accomplish.

They could have rented out the flat outside of Airbnb for the same duration.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31325 posts
5538 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
uber_shnitz wrote: It's probably just easier for AirBnB to refund you a hotel stay in these cases.
Not a good business model and there is no guarantee that you would be able to find a hotel last minute.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6820 posts
1179 upvotes
Toronto
Blacks, indians and muslims must have a harder time in general with airbnb than asians. I am not minimizing her problem, but just trying to put perspective on things.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9779 posts
621 upvotes
toalan wrote: Blacks, indians and muslims must have a harder time in general with airbnb than asians. I am not minimizing her problem, but just trying to put perspective on things.
Its hard for every visible minority. Racist people are everywhere and they try to mess with people all the time. This is the kind of stuff they do and you just dont know how they will mess with you. Sometime they are sneaky and sometimes they are not. Thats why these dirtbags need to be called out everytime we can.

Only difference between this situation is that this racist is dumb enough to text her reasons.
Jan 15, 2017
220 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
No matter what you do, there's always gonna be some ******* like this. Airbnb banned her so she has to deal with the inconvenice and lost income. Maybe she should appeal to the Trump lol
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1850 posts
1293 upvotes
Canada
Theres always hoteltonight, really cheap rooms. I got time square hotel room for like 150CAD before...

But the loss is on the host. She lost time, money, getting banned, lost future revenues, lost emotionally and now getting public scrutiny, and if her employer know this, also loss future prospects lol

looks like the host would stand to lose more...