Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns

AirCanada refund tango fare

Anyone know how the refund works with Tango fares for Air Canada? I know they give you the value to be used towards a future flight, but are there any restrictions?
17 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Generally, they do not give money back and give you credit for the amount. You will have 1 year to use that credit.
It is not airfare to a destination, it is only a monetary credit.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
Pete_Coach wrote: Generally, they do not give money back and give you credit for the amount. You will have 1 year to use that credit.
It is not airfare to a destination, it is only a monetary credit.
By using the credit do you mean simply booking within 1 year or actually travelling.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
RyanS219 wrote: By using the credit do you mean simply booking within 1 year or actually travelling.
When I had to cancel a flight, they gave me a credit for the amount of the ticket and I had to begin my travel within the year of issue of the credit.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2004
2276 posts
226 upvotes
Isn't there a change fee as well?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
peano wrote: Isn't there a change fee as well?
Only when you want to change flights from the one you are going on (change days of flights). A complete cancellation provided a credit to be used for future travel.....in my experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote: Only when you want to change flights from the one you are going on (change days of flights). A complete cancellation provided a credit to be used for future travel.....in my experience.
The credit is minus the change fee.....
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
We cancelled a Tango flight a few weeks after we'd booked it. We could get the credit back, if we were to book AND travel within a year from the original booking date. However, it'll cost us a fee of $200 p.p. when we book the new flight with our credit.

Our original flight was $350, so if we were to book a flight again for $350 or less, it will always cost us $200.

The credit cannot be used for booking with Air Canada Vacations (I actually phoned them about that a few days ago)
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
knuks101 wrote: We cancelled a Tango flight a few weeks after we'd booked it. We could get the credit back, if we were to book AND travel within a year from the original booking date. However, it'll cost us a fee of $200 p.p. when we book the new flight with our credit.

Our original flight was $350, so if we were to book a flight again for $350 or less, it will always cost us $200.

The credit cannot be used for booking with Air Canada Vacations (I actually phoned them about that a few days ago)
Yikes. I may need to reconsider. Paying an extra $200 per person is insane when the flights were only about $450 per person tax included.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
You still get your $450 credit though , but you have to pay $200 fee .

So if you were to book a $600 flight within a year, it'll cost you $350 instead of $600
Jul 24, 2017
2 posts
knuks101 wrote: We cancelled a Tango flight a few weeks after we'd booked it. We could get the credit back, if we were to book AND travel within a year from the original booking date. However, it'll cost us a fee of $200 p.p. when we book the new flight with our credit.

Ciao im from Italy. I gas a flight on 27 June but I had to delete it. It was a not-refundable ticket but call centre said to me they refound but I have to pay 200.
Ok. I deleted on 14 June and made the form for refound. But at now they never answer to me.
How long did you wait for yours?
... please answer
Thanks in advance
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Hi Alice, sorry, I believe we booked another flight within a year and used the credit for that. So we did not really get our money back.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
Aliceerre wrote: Ciao im from Italy. I gas a flight on 27 June but I had to delete it. It was a not-refundable ticket but call centre said to me they refound but I have to pay 200.
Ok. I deleted on 14 June and made the form for refound. But at now they never answer to me.
How long did you wait for yours?
... please answer
Thanks in advance
If it helps, I had to cancel an Air Canada booking done through a third party last year. Again, it was non refundable ticket, but my cancellation partly had to do a bit of goof up by the airline themselves. I did get a refund, though it took close to 4-5 months. I had originally paid around 2200$, and got around 1600$ back. Refunded to my credit card I had used for the booking. Again, the booking was through a third party, so the process and refund amount might be different than a ticket booked directly with Air Canada.
Penalty Box
Mar 27, 2004
10493 posts
9009 upvotes
Toronto
I had to get a refund on a tango fare for hkg, I was charged $200 refund fee.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1569 posts
1129 upvotes
Ottawa
Good comments in this thread, but be sure to read the terms and conditions in the 5+ pages of the e-ticket you were sent (if booked direct w Air Canada). AC marketing talks in terms of broad named categories of fare buckets, like "Tango", "Flex", "Business (lowest)", but ultimately fare rules depend on the specific fare you buy, whose conditions can vary based on destination and even country where purchased.

I haven't flown a "Tango" fare in ages, so its possible I'm wrong, but I fly a lot on "Flex" and "Business (lowest)". The cancellation/change fee varies, as does whether you can actually get a cash refund or only a travel credit when cancelling.

I think the *process* people describe (get a travel credit valid for new AC tickets for travel within 1 year for the value of the cancelled ticket less the change/cancellation fee) is accurate if that's what your preferred or only option is. But whether that fee is $200 or some other amount, and whether you can only get a credit or cash back), ymmv due to your specific ticket.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1513 posts
1214 upvotes
I had no idea that Tango fares for travel within North America are refundable. This is news to me.

I know that for a lot of flights to Asia and Europe are refundable with a cancellation fee. Typically, it's $300 for flights to Europe and $200 to Asia.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
frugal1 wrote: I had no idea that Tango fares for travel within North America are refundable. This is news to me.

I know that for a lot of flights to Asia and Europe are refundable with a cancellation fee. Typically, it's $300 for flights to Europe and $200 to Asia.
They are cancelable but not refundable as in 'cash refund'. In airline's terms a refundable ticket means you can get your cash back. A non-refundable tickets can either be cancelable or non-cancelable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)