• Sep 14th, 2019 2:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
234 posts
64 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Airline bumping

Air Canada cancelled our return flight two days prior to Sunday departure (we only received it day before). Our 12pm (2.5 hr) non-stop return flight was now going to be 5.5hrs in duration with a connection. Expedia and Air Canada did not help us. With two small children starting school Monday, we wanted to be home at a reasonable time. We drove to the airport Saturday and gate agent got us on a 7am direct flight Sunday. We could not check in online and were told to arrive at airport at 4am...fun carrying two kids and baggage.

We sent a letter requesting compensation as the airline did not tell us the reason why our ticket was cancelled (an employee I know confirmed we were bumped), nor did they tell us we were entitled to compensation. In my request I warned them I would file a claim with CAnadian Transportation Agency.

For those who have experienced this before, what level of compensation should I be satisfied with as I’ve heard they often low ball?
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33279 posts
7392 upvotes
Ottawa
Did you buy from Air Canada or Expedia?
Expedia is a third party travel agent and you have to deal with them. Air Canada deals with whomever they sell the ticket to and in your case it looks like it was Expedia.
They gave you alternatives which you did not seem to like so, you made the arrangements and thereby I cannot see that you are even due any sort of compensation. You actually changed the ticket and I cannot see how the Canadian Transportation Agency would take your case..
I don't argue....I educate. Anonymous Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9684 posts
6961 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 9:48 am
Did you buy from Air Canada or Expedia?
Expedia is a third party travel agent and you have to deal with them. Air Canada deals with whomever they sell the ticket to and in your case it looks like it was Expedia.
They gave you alternatives which you did not seem to like so, you made the arrangements and thereby I cannot see that you are even due any sort of compensation. You actually changed the ticket and I cannot see how the Canadian Transportation Agency would take your case..
This

You dealt with a 3rd Party Reseller ... so technically you bought a SOLD AS IS PRODUCT
Count yourself lucky that you were able to make a flight change at all to the revised itinerary that AC originally sent you
Connecting Flight of 5.5 Hours to now one that flew direct

This was a kindness for sure ... especially so if they also waived any applicable change fees.
Because in reality AC didn’t have to change anything from the original revised flight ... because THEY didn’t sell you the Tkts ... Expedia did. Their only obligation was to carry you. In fact, that’s probably why you couldn’t check in on line ... they weren’t going to GUARANTEE that you’d get on that direct flight ... cuz in their mind, you weren’t contacted with them directly for service ... you were contracted with Expedia. So if you ultimately didn’t get on the direct flight at 7 AM on Sunday ... too bad, so sad ... not their issue. (literally as they didn’t issue you the Tkts ... Expedia did)

Things could have been much worse ... like you arrived at 4 AM and didn’t get on the 7 AM Flight
And still ended up on that 5.5 Hour Non Direct previously set out for you

So you aren’t going to get any compensation for this

Lesson learned ...

When you travel ...

BUY DIRECT ... prices are virtually the same anyhow (especially on flights)
BUT you retain your rights with the purchase one on one with the supplier
As well as with the likes of the NEW Cdn Air Passenger Bill of Rights
TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario)
And the ability to do a claw back with your CC if things truly go off the rails with a travel booking

We ALWAYS book our flights direct with the airlines
Don’t use 3rd Party Resellers
For most of our Travel needs
Cuz we like the fact we have recourse if it’s needed

You might pay a bit more
But in the long run the headaches are fewer
And it’s comforting to know you at least have skin in the game if things really go sideways they can’t just shut you out entirely
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1297 posts
2132 upvotes
newby1983 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 6:30 am
Air Canada cancelled our return flight two days prior to Sunday departure (we only received it day before). Our 12pm (2.5 hr) non-stop return flight was now going to be 5.5hrs in duration with a connection. Expedia and Air Canada did not help us. With two small children starting school Monday, we wanted to be home at a reasonable time. We drove to the airport Saturday and gate agent got us on a 7am direct flight Sunday. We could not check in online and were told to arrive at airport at 4am...fun carrying two kids and baggage.

We sent a letter requesting compensation as the airline did not tell us the reason why our ticket was cancelled (an employee I know confirmed we were bumped), nor did they tell us we were entitled to compensation. In my request I warned them I would file a claim with CAnadian Transportation Agency.

For those who have experienced this before, what level of compensation should I be satisfied with as I’ve heard they often low ball?
First, you weren't bumped. What you encountered was a schedule change, since the return flight was cancelled 2 days prior. Bumping occurs when you're at the airport, you have a confirmed ticket and airline staff refuse to let you fly due to (usually) overbooking.

Here is CTA's (Canadian Transportation Agency) definition of airline bumping, AKA denied boarding:
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/denied-boarding-a-guide (Go to section II)

Here is a copy of Air Canada's schedule change policy for travel agents (this includes Expedia agents):
https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... policy.pdf

You got very lucky that an Air Canada agent from the airport re-routed you to a direct flight. Since you bought your airline ticket from Expedia, usually you have to request them to book you on a better itinerary.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1921 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lesson: buy direct from the airline, unless the price difference is so big you can take the risk.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2220 posts
1350 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
newby1983 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 6:30 am

You def weren’t bumped. Def a schedule change of some sort.

You need to figure out WHY you weren’t informed and when the change took place in order to make your claim accurately.

- when did you book the ticket?
- what was the original flight # and date (you can you confirm that flight took off- was there an aircraft change- maintenance issue etc?)
- you say you were informed 2 days prior (by whom? How were you contacted?)
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
234 posts
64 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Wow. Lesson learned for sure. I wouldn’t be as pissed if it were only me flying, but poor judgement on picking a family with two young kids.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33279 posts
7392 upvotes
Ottawa
newby1983 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 9:32 pm
Wow. Lesson learned for sure. I wouldn’t be as pissed if it were only me flying, but poor judgement on picking a family with two young kids.
Which part was poor judgement? :)
I don't argue....I educate. Anonymous Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL
Jul 5, 2004
23785 posts
3313 upvotes
newby1983 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2019 9:32 pm
You weren't bumped. AC didn't pick you and your kids for anything. The flight was changed and Expedia didn't notify you. The lesson learned part should be not to buy tickets through 3rd parties. Always buy directly from the airline.