None
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2321 posts
393 upvotes
North York

Airmile Gold Collectors?

I'm just wondering if anyone here is a gold collector --

my question would be if its really 40 off for the airmiles needed to book the flight? I cant seem to find the pages where they say they are having monthly update for gold collectors airmiles redemption?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
I just became a gold collector this year, and I haven't checked their deals to gold members but I'm interested to know if anyone else have any experience.
May 22, 2008
142 posts
I became one this year. But do they tell you anything about it, or are you just get access to different parts of the site now?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
They're kind of slow, it takes a few weeks for the thingy to update so you might not be able to see the gold stuff yet.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Merchandise is not included in the Gold program. Only travel and the AM magazine.

Up to 40% off AIR MILES reward miles for selected flights
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
I have been a gold for 5+ years now.

All it gets you really is some discounts on random merchandise rewards (nothing I ever buy though), and gets you access to a couple of special flight deals at 40% off with specific airlines.

It is *NOT* a discount on most flights - it is only the ones they have on sale that month.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
Second what brunes said. Been gold member for last two years and it nets me nothing. I don't buy those crappy merchandise which is over priced even with the gold discount. The travel ones aren't so great either as they are just for certain parts of the country etc. So many restrictions and not as glamourous as they make you think it is. I have yet to find a hot deal exclusively for gold members! If anybody finds a better program I'm going to switch. I'm looking to switch to the SPG program instead since I have to fly AC anyway.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
setell wrote: Second what brunes said. Been gold member for last two years and it nets me nothing. I don't buy those crappy merchandise which is over priced even with the gold discount. The travel ones aren't so great either as they are just for certain parts of the country etc. So many restrictions and not as glamourous as they make you think it is. I have yet to find a hot deal exclusively for gold members! If anybody finds a better program I'm going to switch. I'm looking to switch to the SPG program instead since I have to fly AC anyway.
Well I collect SPG with my credit card, to me the CC has nothing to do with Air Miles.

I am a gold air miles collector without collecting anything with my credit card. I get lots of air miles from my grocery shopping, drug store purchases, clothing retailers, and paying my power bill and property tax with my BMO debit card.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
brunes wrote: Well I collect SPG with my credit card, to me the CC has nothing to do with Air Miles.

I am a gold air miles collector without collecting anything with my credit card. I get lots of air miles from my grocery shopping, drug store purchases, clothing retailers, and paying my power bill and property tax with my BMO debit card.
Well air miles is/was my main program. I am pretty aggressive collecting air miles. I use my BMO MC everywhere I shop at, pay rent with my BMO debit card, and any other way possible (which is very little these days). I find it easier to shop out east to get air miles vs in ON. I mean I used to get points shopping at Lawtons which is great as I get employee discount too (siblings work there), points for prescriptions, and points at Sobeys etc. Right now it's just my credit card that is giving me the points with very little from my rent.

Btw what banking plan or do you have one for BMO debit? My free student banking recently ran out and I refuse to pay the $8.50 bank plan fee. I was thinking of going per transaction as I only use my BMO debit to pay rent now.
Dec 19, 2004
231 posts
setell wrote: I have yet to find a hot deal exclusively for gold members!
If I recall correctly, you can book a flight as a gold member with only 1 or 2 days advance notice. Non-members need to book at least 7 days in advance? It has come in handy for me once.
What the hell am I doing drinking in L.A. at 26?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
setell wrote: Well air miles is/was my main program. I am pretty aggressive collecting air miles. I use my BMO MC everywhere I shop at, pay rent with my BMO debit card, and any other way possible (which is very little these days). I find it easier to shop out east to get air miles vs in ON. I mean I used to get points shopping at Lawtons which is great as I get employee discount too (siblings work there), points for prescriptions, and points at Sobeys etc.
Yeah out east we get them at Sobeys, out west they do at Safeway, no big grocery chains in Ont. give air miles.
Btw what banking plan or do you have one for BMO debit? My free student banking recently ran out and I refuse to pay the $8.50 bank plan fee. I was thinking of going per transaction as I only use my BMO debit to pay rent now.
We're on my wife's student banking plan. There is no way I would ever pay a banking fee or per transaction fee to get a couple airmiles; in a year when she is graduated if they don't move us to a free plan we will just close all accounts and leave the bank (we both have PCF accounts too)

The only bank I would ever pay for an account at is Select Service form TD because you actually get some serious benefits for a fair price, such as a free safety deposit box.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
brunes wrote: Yeah out east we get them at Sobeys, out west they do at Safeway, no big grocery chains in Ont. give air miles.
Metro does (formerly Dominion/A&P)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
brunes wrote: We're on my wife's student banking plan. There is no way I would ever pay a banking fee or per transaction fee to get a couple airmiles; in a year when she is graduated if they don't move us to a free plan we will just close all accounts and leave the bank (we both have PCF accounts too)
I use PCF as my main accounts now too but...I still want a bit of activity with my BMO account. Have had it for years, my first bank account and I get freebies at my home branch. But then I'm so bloody far away from my home branch that it's not that "great" anymore since I've moved to ON.
rems wrote: Metro does (formerly Dominion/A&P)
There point system is very bad compared to what Sobey's offer out east. Plus all of their prices are so high vs other grocery stores. I think Safeway trumps A&P and Sobeys! I am so jealous of how much points people out west get!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Interested to know how you can pay rent with debit card. Thanks!

setell wrote: Well air miles is/was my main program. I am pretty aggressive collecting air miles. I use my BMO MC everywhere I shop at, pay rent with my BMO debit card, and any other way possible (which is very little these days). I find it easier to shop out east to get air miles vs in ON. I mean I used to get points shopping at Lawtons which is great as I get employee discount too (siblings work there), points for prescriptions, and points at Sobeys etc. Right now it's just my credit card that is giving me the points with very little from my rent.

Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
[quote="D-Roc" post_id="8066640" time="1231845177" user_id="74590"]Merchandise is not included in the Gold program. Only travel and the AM magazine.

Up to 40% off AIR MILES reward miles for selected flights
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
I reach the Gold requirement in 2008, but they never upgraded me to Gold Members or sending me a Gold card? :confused:
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: I reach the Gold requirement in 2008, but they never upgraded me to Gold Members or sending me a Gold card? :confused:
I know it's annoying, apparently it shows it on mine now? The gold qualification thingy reset on mine.
I'll poke around to see if i can find anything.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
31 upvotes
finally sum GOLD rfd AMers...i've been gold for last 5 years i think...course it costs $$$ as u gotta buy lots of 'bonus' items at AP/Metro...being GOLD gets crappy deals from AMs tho...u shud b able to get like 20% rewards discount off ALL items but its only limited items

ie. b nice to get 50% off the pts on a ps3 or xbox bundle!

ever since it bcame Metro, they got CRAP BS bonus items/promosnow, hardly any good AM deals anymore :mad:

course that easy 30 AMs per month for 300 searches is VERY NICE! :!: with that, everyone shud hit GOLD status

only gain 640 for Gold status

im sure were all waiting for Safeways to hit the GTA area soon as they got the BEST AM pts deals :idea:
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
MP3_SKY wrote: I reach the Gold requirement in 2008, but they never upgraded me to Gold Members or sending me a Gold card? :confused:
They don't ungrade you or send you new card. You will need to log-in their site and see that you are "GOLD" status and look into "my account" for your air miles statement and redemption.

Only click on the "deals", you will see special "gold" rewards, which usually only has 2/3 items.

I mostly use my miles to redeem Jean Coutu (160miles/$20) or Rona gift certificates (150miles/$20) or Cineplex tickets (175miles/2movie tickets+2 regular drinks+1 regular popcorn). I did once use the miles to exchange ticket from Montreal to Hongkong where I only have to pay the taxes. I plan to exchange Disney or universal studios ticket with it (cheaper than buy in US dollar if you make calculation that 160miles = $20cad).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)