Shopping Discussion

AirMiles (2018 General Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2018 4:52 pm
Oct 14, 2017
732 posts
447 upvotes
GTA
Out of curiosity, are there any known reasons why there are cash and dream miles instead of just one category?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5984 posts
3570 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jonric wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:06 am
Out of curiosity, are there any known reasons why there are cash and dream miles instead of just one category?
The change from just being able to earn Dream Miles, to the addition of Cash Miles began early in 2012... right around the time that AirMiles announced that as of December 31, 2011 that any unused AirMiles would expire in the 5th year Quarter (so December 31, 2011 ... were due to expire on December 31, 2016)

It is generally believed that the addition of Cash Miles gave Collectors a new option to redeem earlier or more often, than see Miles they collect run the potential of expiring

But, or course many felt it was a way the AirMiles was using to devalue AirMiles in Dream Accounts...

Personally, I always thought that was reasoning driven by the Casual Collectors who were collecting just a few AMs a year... and only a small percentage of which were even qualified as Gold Collectors

At the time, AirMiles was the most subscribed to Loyalty Program in Canada, with almost every adult in Canada carrying at least a blue AMs Card

It was no doubt true... that AMs was hoping to get some of the many “pending use” dribs & drabs Points Off their Books... hence the idea of Expiring Miles.

Not that expiring Points is not uncommon... most over Reward Programs have such features. But I don’t think AMs was prepared for either the rush on cashing in... or the backlash from the Cdn Public (aka the 2016 Points Expiry Fiasco)

AirMiles Collectors who were truly engaged in the program, read their emails & correspondence and were aware in December 2011 that the Program would change come December 2016... and that points would expire. The idea being TO PLAN for the changes. Be that cashing any necessary points (those accumulated before Jan 1, 2012) or moving up to Onyx Status which kept points from expiring, as long as one was Onyx.

We personally chose to ramp up our participation (seeing we were getting between 4000 and 5500 AMs annually anyhow). And have no regrets

Others chose to cash out

Problems of course ensued as the December 31, 2016 Deadline drew closer and more and more people became aware of the new structure on the horizon, and everyday more people tried to cash in Miles due to expire. Until it was like a run on a bank... the money was there... it just wasn’t liquid as quick as everyone wanted it to be (rewards were not always immediately available... be it airfare or merchandise)

I blame AirMiles for sure... but I blame the public more. AMs gave everyone 5 YEARS NOTICE... the fact that so few read or planned for the end, really was not AirMiles fault... although it was AirMiles that took all the heat / blame

Anyhow... today there seems to be a whole pile of very satisfied Cash Mile Collectors.

They are into instant gratification... many using their 95 AMS = $ 10 privileges at the likes of Metro, Sobey’s, Shell, Rexall etc

Us... we are still Dreamers... racking up the AirMiles for a Dream Retirement Trip to Europe.

If the program went away tomorrow, I would certainly be sad / disappointed... but we have also been wise Collectors... the AMs we have came as a Bonus to Purchase... not because we over spent. And there in lies the key in my opinion of a successful Points Hound... how to get the most points out of a Program = Perks / FREE Stuff without ever over spending. Points Hounds should focus on getting the perks & Points by investing their knowledge and not their cash.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jun 12th, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 14, 2017
732 posts
447 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the info cum AM history lesson.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1119 posts
356 upvotes
KellyM133398 wrote:
May 27th, 2018 5:57 pm
No issues here. Send in all AM receipts since February???? Once miles are posted to my account I toss my receipts (unless I'm keeping them for warranties or promos like STB/Megamiles). Good luck ml88888888:-( Please keep us posted.
Good news, They cleared me of any wrongdoing after 3 weeks of investigation which was called by Shell.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5984 posts
3570 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ml88888888 wrote:
May 27th, 2018 9:06 pm
My acct was suspended when I try to log in online. They didn’t even try to contact me. I have to call in to find out why I couldn’t log in to my acct. I collected over 10000 AM since Feb. because Shell stations had a promotion going on where they gave 5 AM for every $5 in store purchase. Buying gift cards qualified for this promotion. So I was buying a lot of prepaid Visa and MasterCard.
ml88888888 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 4:06 pm
Good news, They cleared me of any wrongdoing after 3 weeks of investigation which was called by Shell.
Thanks for the Update.

I was pretty sure that someone at AMs was going to have to see that you indeed “played by the rules” on this offer by Shell.

>10,000 AMs in a few weeks is impressive... 1 AM for Every Dollar Spent !

Guessing no one at Shell ever anticipated that an AirMiles Points Hound would see all the possibilities, quite like you did

Also expecting that we’ll now see Shell change the T&Cs on these types of offer in the future...
Fruit of the spoils for you
Just plain spoils for the rest of us going forward

Oh well... CONGRATULATIONS ... you deserve the credit cause you did do the legwork (daily) to make the loophole work in your favour

Lol, figuring you’ll be RFDs biggest AirMiles Collector in 2018
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1119 posts
356 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 4:20 pm
Thanks for the Update.

I was pretty sure that someone at AMs was going to have to see that you indeed “played by the rules” on this offer by Shell.

>10,000 AMs in a few weeks is impressive... 1 AM for Every Dollar Spent !

Guessing no one at Shell ever anticipated that an AirMiles Points Hound would see all the possibilities, quite like you did

Also expecting that we’ll now see Shell change the T&Cs on these types of offer in the future...
Fruit of the spoils for you
Just plain spoils for the rest of us going forward

Oh well... CONGRATULATIONS ... you deserve the credit cause you did do the legwork (daily) to make the loophole work in your favour

Lol, figuring you’ll be RFDs biggest AirMiles Collector in 2018
Shell did change the terms in a similar promotion that is still running(in the middle of the original promotion) in GTA if you check out this post : shell-save-4c-per-liter-gas-airmiles-5a ... #p29417682
Sep 9, 2017
902 posts
576 upvotes
Winnipeg
ml88888888 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 4:06 pm
Glad to hear it worked out for you!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5984 posts
3570 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
FrostyWinnipeg wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:28 pm
Alleged fraudsters rob Air Miles of $23,000 worth of merchandise

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/alleged-f ... -1.3973302

As it's Air Miles merchandise, even fraudsters overpay.
Based on the surroundings in the photos...
Lottery Signage, Flower Bouquet Wrapping Paper, Cash Register Product Roll Index, and Cash Register Signage (green sign in Photo # 2, and barely visible Logo in Photo # 1) ... looks like both of these pics were taken at a Sobey’s Group of Stores

In which case there are only 2 ways that I know of on how to get merchandise via AirMiles Customer
1- Points Collected ... on stuff you buy
2- Points Redeemed ... like 95 AMs = $ 10

The 3rd would be if a Cashier / Store Employee was stealing the AirMiles... unless one of these 2 are an Employee then probably not that

But still guessing they have “fiddled” in some way with how AirMiles are accounted for
Or else, then just plain hacked into others accounts, and STOLE POINTS & MERCHANDISE that way
Which based on history with Points Programs... tells us is the most probable

EDIT / ADD - AirMiles Merchandise does not automatically mean things from the AirMiles Reward Catalogue (which most AMs Collectors would agree is overpriced). Rewards / Merchandise can be anything got by redeeming points. If the Points were stolen, then so would be the Merchandise got.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jun 14th, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1119 posts
356 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:50 pm
Based on the surroundings in the photos...
Lottery Signage, Flower Bouquet Wrapping Paper, Cash Register Product Roll Index, and Cash Register Signage (green sign in Photo # 2, and barely visible Logo in Photo # 1) ... looks like both of these pics were taken at a Sobey’s Group of Stores

In which case there are only 2 ways that I know of on how to get merchandise via AirMiles Customer
1- Points Collected ... on stuff you buy
2- Points Redeemed ... like 95 AMs = $ 10

The 3rd would be if a Cashier / Store Employee was stealing the AirMiles... unless one of these 2 are an Employee then probably not that

But still guessing they have “fiddled” in some way with how AirMiles are accounted for
Or else, then just plain hacked into others accounts, and STOLE POINTS & MERCHANDISE that way
Which based on history with Points Programs... tells us is the most probable
May be it was just bad timing that my acct was investigated for fraud recently.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5984 posts
3570 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ml88888888 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:57 pm
May be it was just bad timing that my acct was investigated for fraud recently.
Clearly AMs has their eye on any movement involving large amounts of Points being earned or Redeemed.
The link said it was $ 23,000 in Merchandise over 98 Transactions... at 3 locations

Lol, looks like not just a case of fraud
But greed & complacency that did them in

They got too comfortable / smug in their little scheme
It’s a common story, and how most crooks actually get caught out
Dec 3, 2010
314 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:09 pm
Clearly AMs has their eye on any movement involving large amounts of Points being earned or Redeemed.
The link said it was $ 23,000 in Merchandise over 98 Transactions... at 3 locations

Lol, looks like not just a case of fraud
But greed & complacency that did them in

They got too comfortable / smug in their little scheme
It’s a common story, and how most crooks actually get caught out
I would figure that air miles would caught on that lot earlier. Lesson to people who make living off points: get a job.