Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
CaptainCrash wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 8:35 am
Gift cards included?

Edit. Saw the flyer and gift cards excluded. $100 is tough with just two of us in the house. But may take a run at it. Also got a shell V power bonus for 100 on November. So there's 200.

Need a Sobeys gift card promo.
I picked up a $ 150 Sobey’s Gift Card for 150 BAMs during their last promo
(Early October ... Get ready for Thanksgiving Promo)

There may be another GC one in November / December leading up to Christmas
As GCs are extremely popular promo tools at that time
And that puts it smack dab in the middle of Shop The Block

Ya need to keep an eye on RFD Threads...
This AirMiles one
The upcoming Shop The Block 2018 one (i’ll put a link in the OP here when it goes LIVE)
And, of course the great GC one, also over on the HOT DEALS FORUM
various-retailers-gift-card-deals-disco ... #p30025069
Oct 31, 2018
29 posts
48 upvotes
3258 Cork St Guelph,…
I received an email that spent $50 and get $50 air miles back. Has anyone got the points back, if Following all the tasks?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
FDunnF wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:30 pm
I received an email that spent $50 and get $50 air miles back. Has anyone got the points back, if Following all the tasks?
Honestly... there are sooooo many of these types of offers out there right now*
Maybe you could give us more details
WHO is in the FROM BOX (AirMiles - BMO AMs MC - Sobey’s Group - Shell etc)
And what do the T&Cs say ?

Some the bonus points come direct from the AirMiles Partner at time of Purchase
Others won’t show up until the usual lag time passes (anywhere from 1 week to 120 Days) ... again depending on WHO is offering the bonus

* Thank goodness I have a spreadsheet to track PENDING Miles
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3040 posts
5901 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
akaManny wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 7:05 am
Please create the thread and I will enter offers from the 'Metro' coupon booklet. Should I use the same format as last year? For example:
[ Nov 24 Only ] - The Children's Place - Spend $50 And Get 10x Air Miles - 1 AM Per $20 Spend, Allow Up To 8 Weeks Post Promo To Receive AM - COUPON REQUIRED (PRINT OR USE CODE: 327CP10X)
I'm fine with whatever works for and is easiest for you (same format, your own format, scanned photos, etc).

Since I still have the template from last year and don't recall of any complaints of the formatting, I'll likely use the same or similar formatting this year.

I have other commitments this afternoon but I'm hoping to have the thread up sometime later tonight.

Thanks again @akaManny for helping us start the thread with content.
Oct 3, 2018
128 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
akaManny wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 3:46 pm
If you don't already have Cash Miles, you should consider that option. In the booklet that I have, you can get 50 Bonus Miles by redeeming 95 Cash Miles at Metro, but it is Dec 20 - 24 so you have time to earn the 95 miles and then switch back to dream miles. Sobeys and Foodland probably will have a similar offer.
Quick q:

I collect Cash miles currently. If I change to Dream Miles Nov 15th for example, realize any miles earned moving forward will be Dream Miles.

However, if I still have 95 earned Cash Miles, can I still redeem later from Cash Miles, even though have "switched" to Dream Miles?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mzmoney wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 9:33 pm
Quick q:

I collect Cash miles currently. If I change to Dream Miles Nov 15th for example, realize any miles earned moving forward will be Dream Miles.

However, if I still have 95 earned Cash Miles, can I still redeem later from Cash Miles, even though have "switched" to Dream Miles?
Yup.

You are now earning 100% Cash Miles... and 0 Dream Miles
Switching to any other percentage configuration, makes NO DIFFERENCE to the miles you have ALREADY BANKED
They are there to be used in the category they were earned / credited to

Think of it as a bank account... Chequing vs Saving
You can have either or both

And you can change your vision at any time
on how much (percentage) you want to allot to each from your pay cheque

Only difference with AMs is you cannot transfer miles between Dream & Cash Accounts
They are where they are ... until they are gone / used up
Oct 3, 2018
128 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 9:40 pm
Yup.

You are now earning 100% Cash Miles... and 0 Dream Miles
Switching to any other percentage configuration, makes NO DIFFERENCE to the miles you have ALREADY BANKED
They are there to be used in the category they were earned / credited to

Think of it as a bank account... Chequing vs Saving
You can have either or both

And you can change your vision at any time
on how much (percentage) you want to allot to each from your pay cheque

Only difference with AMs is you cannot transfer miles between Dream & Cash Accounts
They are where they are ... until they are gone / used up
Thanks Points Hubby!

And, if I decide to temporarily "lock" my Miles, can I lock the Dream and/or Cash Miles separately ... Or does the "lock" apply to BOTH D&C accounts?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1879 posts
654 upvotes
mzmoney wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 9:59 pm
Thanks Points Hubby!

And, if I decide to temporarily "lock" my Miles, can I lock the Dream and/or Cash Miles separately ... Or does the "lock" apply to BOTH D&C accounts?
The website refers only to "Lock Cash account". Since a Dream redemption requires a PIN, I don't see the need even if there is such an option. If your Cash account is not locked, the cashier often says "You have $x in Cash miles to redeem. Do you want to?" So if someone gets your physical card, you will be robbed of $x in Cash miles in that transaction and possibly more in the next.
Feb 18, 2018
160 posts
54 upvotes
akaManny wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 8:47 am
The website refers only to "Lock Cash account". Since a Dream redemption requires a PIN, I don't see the need even if there is such an option. If your Cash account is not locked, the cashier often says "You have $x in Cash miles to redeem. Do you want to?" So if someone gets your physical card, you will be robbed of $x in Cash miles in that transaction and possibly more in the next.
safe to say you can't redeem without the card? since they can also type in the numbers
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1879 posts
654 upvotes
Aselwyn1 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 6:28 pm
safe to say you can't redeem without the card? since they can also type in the numbers
This has been confirmed to me on 2 occasions. On the second, the cashier told me she could not redeem without the card. On the first occasion, the (different) cashier did not know this and when she entered the number manually, the option to redeem Cash miles did not appear. She showed me the screen. The same day, I had redeemed Cash miles at a different store on the same card (when it was scanned).
Jul 22, 2010
731 posts
112 upvotes
toronto
just met onyx reqs.... so any general tips or tricks on being ontop of the special promos? :)
Sep 25, 2018
23 posts
18 upvotes
BC
Scavos wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 2:33 pm
just met onyx reqs.... so any general tips or tricks on being ontop of the special promos? :)
Congratulations! I find a few more airlines on Onyx! Maybe I can be corrected! You may sign in and see the benefits even before you receive the card in black! But you can now certainly add the black card to your wallet!
"Share" is such a powerful action verb that...!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Scavos wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 2:33 pm
After you get to 6000 AMs
(The first time ever)
Several things happen.

First your status will update on your account (online)
Then you’ll get your welcome pkg by snail mail

And also the Onyx Emails start coming
(Check your account online to make sure you are ok with receiving news, newsletters, emails)

Used to be that one qualified for status in one year, and then enjoyed it the next

AirMiles Changed all that in 2018

Now you get status in the same year you qualify thru to the end of the next year
(So your case... now thru to December 31, 2019)

Used to be therefore that the Onyx Emails began for everyone who had just gotten status around the end of December / early Jan

Don’t know how it works now... as I have had continual status for several years

But, just be aware it might not happen until everything is updated
Your account online
And you have the welcome pkg

Onyx Offers are awesome opportunities to earn great Bonus AirMiles
And I would say the more you use, the more you get
(Click and Opt In when presented with that option)

Lol if you are like many of us, you’ll soon find yourself having to set up a spreadsheet to track the Offers you have, those you’ve used, and the Miles you have PENDING

It’s crazy... but it’s worth it
(On track to earn 10,000+ AirMiles in 2018)
Jul 22, 2010
731 posts
112 upvotes
toronto
SBK500 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 2:51 pm
Congratulations! I find a few more airlines on Onyx! Maybe I can be corrected! You may sign in and see the benefits even before you receive the card in black! But you can now certainly add the black card to your wallet!
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 3:09 pm

After you get to 6000 AMs
(The first time ever)
Several things happen.

First your status will update on your account (online)
Then you’ll get your welcome pkg by snail mail

And also the Onyx Emails start coming
(Check your account online to make sure you are ok with receiving news, newsletters, emails)

Used to be that one qualified for status in one year, and then enjoyed it the next

AirMiles Changed all that in 2018

Now you get status in the same year you qualify thru to the end of the next year
(So your case... now thru to December 31, 2019)

Used to be therefore that the Onyx Emails began for everyone who had just gotten status around the end of December / early Jan

Don’t know how it works now... as I have had continual status for several years

But, just be aware it might not happen until everything is updated
Your account online
And you have the welcome pkg

Onyx Offers are awesome opportunities to earn great Bonus AirMiles
And I would say the more you use, the more you get
(Click and Opt In when presented with that option)

Lol if you are like many of us, you’ll soon find yourself having to set up a spreadsheet to track the Offers you have, those you’ve used, and the Miles you have PENDING

It’s crazy... but it’s worth it
(On track to earn 10,000+ AirMiles in 2018)
Thanks! Out of curiousity how have you spilt you collection of AM points now?

Also, should I opt into AM emails now? I’ve heard opt into email be used to fulfil some AM STB benefit or another. But at this point since I’m onyx I should just opt in so I can get those offers ASAP?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Scavos wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 3:15 pm
Thanks! Out of curiousity how have you spilt you collection of AM points now?

Also, should I opt into AM emails now? I’ve heard opt into email be used to fulfil some AM STB benefit or another. But at this point since I’m onyx I should just opt in so I can get those offers ASAP?
You are right there was (is ?) a promo IIRC for opting in
I will see if I can find it for you

Right now with STB 2018 just days away... i’d make no major moves
Incase there are STB Offers / Challenges that you circumvent because of

The one exception... is maybe having a few Cash Miles on hand so as to use them for potential STB Offers / Transactions

I myself have for the first time ever, switched from 100% Dream Miles to 100% Cash Miles leading up to STB... in hopes I will have some to use should there be STB Cash Miles Offers to count towards the STB BIG BONUS Partner Counts

NOTE - I will switch back a few days BEFORE STB 2018 begins, cause the computer changeover on the AirMiles Computer / Accounts takes over 24 Hours

Being a Dream vs Cash Miles Collector (or BOTH) is totally a personal choice.
You can read a post I did on this recently in the STB 2018 Topic:
jessicacha wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 9:53 am
I'm 100% cash miles but I wonder if I should go dream miles now? I already have like 2500 cash miles accumulated in case there's any "spend miles at a shop, get more" type events.
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 1:37 pm
That’s up to you.

Remember Cash Miles... are well essentially cash you can spend at participating AirMiles Partners
(Think like a chequeing account)

Dream Miles are for bigger things / goals ... especially Flights.
(Think like a savings account)

So BEFORE you accumulate any Dream Miles, you should have a goal in mind... cause unlike regular bank accounts, with AirMiles YOU CANNOT MOVE MILES BETWEEN ACCOUNTS... they live where they are stored.

Adding a Cash Account is an easy thought process... Miles for now
Adding a Dream Account not so ... Miles for later

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

tomw, rdiamond1