• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 3:04 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1879 posts
654 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 3:35 pm
I myself have for the first time ever, switched from 100% Dream Miles to 100% Cash Miles leading up to STB... in hopes I will have some to use should there be STB Cash Miles Offers to count towards the STB BIG BONUS Partner Counts

NOTE - I will switch back a few days BEFORE STB 2018 begins, cause the computer changeover on the AirMiles Computer / Accounts takes over 24 Hours
Not clear to me why you would switch back until you have 95, or 190, or 285 Cash Miles (for the Rexall and Metro offers we already know about), or even 380 assuming Sobeys/Foodland will also have offers.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3850 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
akaManny wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 4:19 pm
Not clear to me why you would switch back until you have 95, or 190, or 285 Cash Miles (for the Rexall and Metro offers we already know about), or even 380 assuming Sobeys/Foodland will also have offers.
Cause I want all the Base & Bonus Miles I Earn during the STB Event to Credit to my Dream Miles
And
Lol, also because i will probably “get there” (as in total Cash Miles) Before the STB goes LIVE to make ENOUGH of a difference to being able to pick up a few other Partners from my regular set so as to make the Magic Seven sooner than later
Mar 2, 2018
14 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
It doesn't necessarily take 24 hrs to switch between Cash and Dream Miles. The changeover takes place at 3am the day following your change. So if you were to change your preference at 11:58pm on November 6 your change will take place at 3am on November 7 (that's only 3hrs). I realized the other day my BMO M/C was likely to post over the weekend. I changed my account back to Dream on Friday night, came into effect 3am Saturday morning and they posted to Dream sometime on Saturday.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3850 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Well it’s finally happening.

About a year ago, in a convo with AirMiles Canada regarding the disappearance of their in-house travel agents (AirMiles Travel) ... I was told that the current relationship with Air Transat Travel Group (aka Transat Distribution Canada) was going to be a temporary arrangement due to change by end of 2018.

Transat Distribution Canada / Transat A.T.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transat_A.T.

And well... voila it’s now been announced on the AirMiles Website.

Transat is out... Redtag is in.

And although this is not going back to an in-house AirMiles Travel Agent Group... it’s got to be better than the current situation with Transat (TONS OF COMPLAINTS regarding how they treat AirMiles Customers & apply AirMiles ... to not even honouring their own AMs issued Travel Certificates or EVouchers ... plus often changing the written rules to be more in their own business’ favour.)

Here then the announcement & FAQs copied from the AirMiles Website:
REDTAG.CA

We are pleased to announce a new partnership with redtag.ca that provides AIR MILES® Collectors with more options to get and use Miles when making Package Vacation bookings through redtag.ca.

Starting January 8, 2019, 12:00 a.m. ET, you will be able to get and use Miles for Package Vacation bookings through redtag.ca.

Yes. With this new partnership, you can get and use Miles on Package Vacation bookings:

Get 1 Mile for every $20 spent on Package Vacations booked through redtag.ca.1
For every 909 Dream Miles used, you will get $100 towards a Package Vacation booking through redtag.ca.
Flexibility to both get and use Miles: use Dream Miles for dollars off online bookings and get Miles on the total value of your booking.
There are thousands of Package Vacations made available by redtag.ca from Canada’s leading travel providers: Air Canada Vacations, WestJet Vacations, Sunquest Vacations, Transat, Porter Escapes and Sunwing Vacations.

If you’re looking to use Miles towards Cruise bookings through redtag.ca, you’ll be able to do that later in 2019!

Transat Distribution Canada (TDC)

As a result of this new partnership, after December 31, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET, Collectors will no longer be able to get Miles directly from Transat Travel, Club Voyages, Voyages Transat, Travel Plus, Marlin Travel and tripcentral.ca or use their Miles for Transat Travel Certificates. Collectors can continue to use their Cash Miles for Transat eVouchers up until December 31, 2018.

Any Certificates or eVouchers you may have currently will continue to be honoured after this time.

FAQ
When will this change come into effect?

Starting January 8, 2019, 12:00 a.m. ET, you will be able to get and use Miles for Package Vacation bookings through redtag.ca.

Yes. With this new partnership, you can get and use Miles on Package Vacation bookings:

For every 909 Dream Miles used, you will get $100 towards a Package Vacation booking through redtag.ca.
Flexibility to both get and use Miles: use Dream Miles for dollars off online bookings and get Miles on the total value of your booking.
If you’re looking to use Miles towards Cruise bookings through redtag.ca, you’ll be able to do that later in 2019!

As a result of this new partnership, after December 31, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET, Collectors will no longer be able to get Miles directly from Transat Travel, Club Voyages, Voyages Transat, Travel Plus, Marlin Travel and tripcentral.ca or use their Miles for Transat Travel Certificates. Collectors can continue to use their Cash Miles for Transat eVouchers up until December 31, 2018.

Any Certificates or eVouchers you may have currently will continue to be honoured after this time.

I was unaware of this change! How are you informing Collectors?

On November 1, we started communicating this news to Collectors, through an email, updates on www.airmiles.ca, a press release and proactive media relations.

Does this mean I won't be able to get Transat Dream Certificates or Cash eVouchers?

After December 31, 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET, Collectors will no longer be able to get Miles directly from Transat Travel, Club Voyages, Voyages Transat, Travel Plus, Marlin Travel and tripcentral.ca or use their Miles for Transat Travel Certificates. Collectors can continue to use their Cash Miles for Transat eVouchers up until December 31, 2018.

What if I already used my Miles for a Transat Dream Certificate or Cash eVoucher? Will I still be able to use it?

Yes. Any Certificates or eVouchers you may have currently will continue to be honoured after this time.

What added value will a partnership with redtag.ca bring me?

With thousands of Package Vacations made available by redtag.ca from Canada’s leading travel providers, such as Air Canada Vacations, WestJet Vacations, Sunquest Vacations, Transat, Porter Escapes and Sunwing Vacations, the new partnership provides Collectors with even more choice when booking Package Vacations!

Will I be able to use my Dream Miles towards Cruise bookings?

At the time of launch on January 8, 2019, you will not be able to use your Dream Miles towards Cruise bookings through redtag.ca. We will be working hard to have this implemented so that you may do so later in 2019.

What can I do if I want to use my Miles towards Package Vacation bookings on redtag.ca?

Make sure to set your Account balance preference to make sure you’re getting Dream Miles that you can use towards your Vacation bookings!

Who should I contact if I have questions about this change?

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us through chat and social media (Facebook, Twitter).

Terms and Conditions

1. Exclusions apply
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3040 posts
5901 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 5:01 pm
Well it’s finally happening...
Thanks for the info @PointsHubby.

I wonder if the Transat group will be a part of STB 2018, if RedTag will try to promote itself as the new provider or neither will be participating because of the timing?
Jul 7, 2018
18 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
For those who already got onyx status, do you actually get a physical black card from airmiles? I know they don't give out gold airmiles cards for gold status anymore, we'll just get the regular blue card.

Thanks to rfd and members on this forum helping out, I've reach the onyx status. Now I'll have to explore what benefits it actually have compared to gold status.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3850 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Joymax wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 8:36 am
For those who already got onyx status, do you actually get a physical black card from airmiles? I know they don't give out gold airmiles cards for gold status anymore, we'll just get the regular blue card.

Thanks to rfd and members on this forum helping out, I've reach the onyx status. Now I'll have to explore what benefits it actually have compared to gold status.
Read Reply # 452 on Page 31
That RFDer got their Onyx Status / Black Cards earlier this year

Welcome Pkg will come snail mail with the cards, and a booklet of info
In the meantime...
Keep using your current AMs Card
(It never expires... just a case of having the black one in some places gets you additional perks)
And watch for your status to update on the AirMiles Website computer
(There is a bit of a delay)
On the website you can also see a list of Onyx Benefits
(Although it’s more an overview... I found the Welcome Pkg was more comprehensive when looked at with the website)
Earning Onyx now, means you’ll have Status all thru 2019
So plenty of time to figure it all out / enjoy the benefits that you choose to partake in
Sep 26, 2011
85 posts
43 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:10 am
In the meantime...
Keep using your current AMs Card
(It never expires... just a case of having the black one in some places gets you additional perks)
Do you have experience where a store actually gave you discretionary preferential treatment just because you showed them your black Onyx Air Miles card? I thought that, other program-defined perks aside, carrying the black collector cards, once that level was achieved, were just for bragging rights. I've been carrying my old blue cards for years, even though I have a few gold cards, and have been gold status for decades. I've never had a situation where a merchant paid any attention to the colour of my card. Some sponsors even let you manually enter your collector number instead of presenting/swiping a card, for example, Shell gas station pay-at-the-pump. So, I assumed the colour of the collector card was just an ego-booster, per se.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
4058 posts
1895 upvotes
Joymax wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 8:36 am

Yes, you'll get an initial BLACK card along with a welcome package. I've still got old blue and gold ones too, and they still work despite being nearly 20yrs old.
BTW, you can order more cards, online. I have about a 8-10 black cards now, but if you order too many too quickly, they may just send you a regular blue card, as had happened to me. Some of my BLACK cards have the expiry date, others do not.
canaduh wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 10:46 am
Do you have experience where a store actually gave you discretionary preferential treatment just because you showed them your black Onyx Air Miles card? I thought that, other program-defined perks aside, carrying the black collector cards, once that level was achieved, were just for bragging rights. I've been carrying my old blue cards for years, even though I have a few gold cards, and have been gold status for decades. I've never had a situation where a merchant paid any attention to the colour of my card. Some sponsors even let you manually enter your collector number instead of presenting/swiping a card, for example, Shell gas station pay-at-the-pump. So, I assumed the colour of the collector card was just an ego-booster, per se.
Personally, never had any benefit from flashing the BLACK Onyx AM card, in the 3 yrs that I had it previously, and then just regained it this year. I never even get any juicy Onyx-only offers. I guess they don't like the way I achieved Onyx so easily through churning CCs, and recently with the STB and MM promos. My (low) spending pattern at their partners have exiled me onto an island of disregard, to be ignored. :|
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3850 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
canaduh wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 10:46 am
There have definitely been AirMiles Promos that have been advertised thru the Newsletter & Emails with limited access to Onyx Members just for showing the card.

This is on top of the regular set of AirMiles Perks Partners that are for everyone, and listed on the website

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/RewardsPr ... cale=en_CA

Got to admit though... we don’t utilize much of the Perks on that page as we always forget about them... or there’s little we use
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3256 posts
1144 upvotes
The only perk I got since becoming onyx was redeeming 1AM for wonderland ticket this year which I managed to grab 2 (for 2 dream miles)
May 17, 2010
164 posts
144 upvotes
ottawa
Anyone looking to earn some quick points (trying to reach gold/onyx or bump up cash miles...) and are a Sobey's shopper Nov.9-11, spend $100 get 100 Air miles.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3850 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mik99 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:40 pm
Anyone looking to earn some quick points (trying to reach gold/onyx or bump up cash miles...) and are a Sobey's shopper Nov.9-11, spend $100 get 100 Air miles.
Agreed. Good referral.

In fact, I just posted something similar in the 2018 Shop The Block thread
air-miles-shop-block-2018-nationwide-no ... 7-2234901/
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 4:28 pm
TIP - Cash Miles Accumulation BEFORE the STB Event

Anyone looking to accumulate some Cash Miles quickly in anticipation of STB
Should look to AirMiles Partners who are offering Bonus Miles in their Flyers this weekend
That are tied to “short term” promotions
So look to the Partners like
The Grocery Stores (Sobeys Group - Metro - IGA etc) - Pharmacies (Rexall - Jean Coutu) - Shell - LCBO etc

In most cases, Miles from these Partners will post quickly... either just before the start of STB, or in its early days
Thereby giving one Cash Miles to use on Offers with many of the same Partners for the STB Promo

NOTE - Give a Pass to longer term promos, as some of them may end up also being covered by the STB Event over the course of its run
Sep 25, 2018
23 posts
18 upvotes
BC
A huge bonus-mile offer from Thrifty Foods in BC from Friday, November 9 until Monday, November 12:

"4 DAYS OF SMILES: Get 200 Bonus Miles for every $200 you purchase in Smile Gift Cards*...Limit of 5 offers per collector number." (Thrifty Foods)!
"Share" is such a powerful action verb that...!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3850 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
SBK500 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:00 pm
A huge bonus-mile offer from Thrifty Foods in BC from Friday, November 9 until Monday, November 12:

"4 DAYS OF SMILES: Get 200 Bonus Miles for every $200 you purchase in Smile Gift Cards*...Limit of 5 offers per collector number." (Thrifty Foods)!
That’s awesome for BCers just prior to 2018 Shop The Block
With anyone look8ng to build up their Cash Miles Account
So does Thrifty post bonuses like this quickly... or is there a delay ?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

tomw, Jon Lai