Shopping Discussion

AirMiles 2019 (General Discussion Thread)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 10:29 pm
Nov 23, 2018
60 posts
46 upvotes
Yesterday shopping for Sobeys Blue Friday - spent $109 got back 570 Airmiles. ..terrific dream miles return, mostly due to Barrilla ready pasta, Tide and chicken wings.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3498 posts
1386 upvotes
Just a quick note about anyone doing MissFresh to get over to Onyx status, I did so but MissFresh reported the miles late (in January) and though they back dated to Dec for the miles, AM missed the automatic Monday's update of my total AM earning for the year 2018 so my Onyx status never got updated. I had to call in and rep reviewed my total earnings for 2018 which was 6100, so she updated my status to Onyx. Since the status changed (by rep) happened in 2019, I now have Onyx status till Dec 31, 2020. At the end it was an extra year bonus for me so it worked out better :)

2019-01-12.png
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6995 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mkl38s wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:05 am
Just a quick note about anyone doing MissFresh to get over to Onyx status, I did so but MissFresh reported the miles late (in January) and though they back dated to Dec for the miles, AM missed the automatic Monday's update of my total AM earning for the year 2018 so my Onyx status never got updated. I had to call in and rep reviewed my total earnings for 2018 which was 6100, so she updated my status to Onyx. Since the status changed (by rep) happened in 2019, I now have Onyx status till Dec 31, 2020. At the end it was an extra year bonus for me so it worked out better :)

2019-01-12.png
I got some back dated Miles as well, that POSTED into December.

Mind you, I was well qualified for Onyx, long before December 31st

But your post here is a good one cause it emphasizes the need for every AMs Collector to keep track of their Yearly Postings / Status especially if they are “close” to that needed 6000 AMs Mile Marker at the end of the year.

As I said back in the Opening Post... Year End Housekeeping can be a useful exercise.

PS... CONGRATULATIONS ON ONYX
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1125 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone still waiting for the stb/airmilesshop.ca spend over $100 via amazon.ca to be posted? At that time airmilesshop.ca had 15x bonus Am.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6995 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Managed to make the outing to a Sobey’s yesterday for the Blue Friday Specials
On past Blue Friday’s, that we’ve seen in Eastern Ontario, I have not made the effort, cause there were just too few offers to bother / make the trip

I think we did great.

Snagged 2 of the Tide 4 Litre Jugs = 100 BluFri BAMs
Bought 2 of the Prime Boxed Chkn Nuggets = 50 BluFri BAMs
Got 2 of the Piller Fully Cooked Hams = 10 BAMs (Weekly Flyer)

That all added up to just over $ 78, so I filled out the rest of the needed $ 100 Spend for the BluFri 100 BAMs with items that I had Promo AMs on in my Sobey’s App, and a few good buys I found as I wandered the rest of the aisles

Spent in total just over $ 125 once taxes were added in

According to my Receipt, I saved 20% by In Store Sales
And earned 6 Base Miles + another 304 in Bonus Miles
For a total of 310 ... that’s an AMs value of $ 32.63

Awesome
Feb 18, 2018
326 posts
375 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Managed to make the outing to a Sobey’s yesterday for the Blue Friday Specials
On past Blue Friday’s, that we’ve seen in Eastern Ontario, I have not made the effort, cause there were just too few offers to bother / make the trip

I think we did great.

Snagged 2 of the Tide 4 Litre Jugs = 100 BluFri BAMs
Bought 2 of the Prime Boxed Chkn Nuggets = 50 BluFri BAMs
Got 2 of the Piller Fully Cooked Hams = 10 BAMs (Weekly Flyer)

That all added up to just over $ 78, so I filled out the rest of the needed $ 100 Spend for the BluFri 100 BAMs with items that I had Promo AMs on in my Sobey’s App, and a few good buys I found as I wandered the rest of the aisles

Spent in total just over $ 125 once taxes were added in

According to my Receipt, I saved 20% by In Store Sales
And earned 6 Base Miles + another 304 in Bonus Miles
For a total of 310 ... that’s an AMs value of $ 32.63

Awesome
Ya this Blue Friday was great for the items that weren’t OOS by the time I went to get them
Dec 27, 2016
2 posts
7 upvotes
Got an insanely good deal at Sobey`s for Blue Friday. The flyer advertised Barilla Ready Pasta at $2 per package and get 50 Air Miles when you buy 2 of them. When we got to the store there was a sign indicating that the flyer was incorrect and the real price was $2.50 per package. Even at that price, when buying 4 packages, you would pay $10 to get 100 Air Miles; 95 cash Air Miles is worth $10 so this is a tremendous deal (you are actually making money buying them).

Of course, the shelves were empty. However, our local Sobey`s was allowing people to buy up to 40 packages for future pick up. You had to pay for them that day so that the Air Miles would be credited. There was also the 'Buy $100, Get 100 Bonus Air Miles` on so we bought 40 packages for $100 and got 1100 Air Miles. I could redeem 950 cash Air Miles to get back my $100, donate the pasta, and still be up 150 Air Miles.

Lots of people were planning on donating some or all of their purchase to the Food Bank.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6995 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
tomboy84 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:16 pm
Got an insanely good deal at Sobey`s for Blue Friday. The flyer advertised Barilla Ready Pasta at $2 per package and get 50 Air Miles when you buy 2 of them. When we got to the store there was a sign indicating that the flyer was incorrect and the real price was $2.50 per package. Even at that price, when buying 4 packages, you would pay $10 to get 100 Air Miles; 95 cash Air Miles is worth $10 so this is a tremendous deal (you are actually making money buying them).

Of course, the shelves were empty. However, our local Sobey`s was allowing people to buy up to 40 packages for future pick up. You had to pay for them that day so that the Air Miles would be credited. There was also the 'Buy $100, Get 100 Bonus Air Miles` on so we bought 40 packages for $100 and got 1100 Air Miles. I could redeem 950 cash Air Miles to get back my $100, donate the pasta, and still be up 150 Air Miles.

Lots of people were planning on donating some or all of their purchase to the Food Bank.
Awesome. Good thinking / good on you.

We saw the empty shelf, and the price error note... but never pursued anything further.

Never even considered a rain check.

This is great info for future AirMiles Blue Fridays
Dec 14, 2017
57 posts
53 upvotes
How often do Blue Friday's occur at Sobey's? quick google didn't really find an answer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6995 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wazzie19 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:19 am
How often do Blue Friday's occur at Sobey's? quick google didn't really find an answer.
Have been happening outside of Ontario for a long time
(Someone else can speak to that who lives out west / down east)

New thing for Ontario.
Less than 6 months old here.

Based on a quick search of the 2018 AirMiles General Discussion thread it looks like they happen once a month
airmiles-2018-general-discussion-2159478/
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1064 posts
813 upvotes
Winnipeg
wazzie19 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:19 am
Usually once a month. Lately they seem to follow Customer Appreciation Day.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6995 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kelly M wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:35 am
Usually once a month. Lately they seem to follow Customer Appreciation Day.
Ok, so I had to look up Customer Appreciation Day...

That is where one can save 10% on the FIRST Tuesday of the Month

Seems to be a Western thing... as I don’t believe I have seen that offered in Ontario either.

(thinking some of these goodies are carry overs from Sobey’s West affiliation with Safeway... we don’t have Safeway here either)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1064 posts
813 upvotes
Winnipeg
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:18 pm
Ok, so I had to look up Customer Appreciation Day...

That is where one can save 10% on the FIRST Tuesday of the Month

Seems to be a Western thing... as I don’t believe I have seen that offered in Ontario either.

(thinking some of these goodies are carry overs from Sobey’s West affiliation with Safeway... we don’t have Safeway here either)
Yes, these are Safeway carry overs. I didn’t realize you weren’t getting the customer appreciation promo out East. Maybe it’ll eventually come your way like Blue Friday did.
May 8, 2015
146 posts
75 upvotes
East York, ON
Just went to my AM account, and saw a pop up message informing that if you are missing miles and have shopped during within certain dates within November, then the miles might have been missing due to technical error.
The collectors who miss their miles earned in that period are encouraged to talk to the agents via Chat.

Sorry unable to picture those pop up messages as they were too quick. It appeared right after I logged in my AM account.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2020 posts
789 upvotes
Leasiderin wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 6:00 pm
Just went to my AM account, and saw a pop up message informing that if you are missing miles and have shopped during within certain dates within November, then the miles might have been missing due to technical error.
The collectors who miss their miles earned in that period are encouraged to talk to the agents via Chat.

Sorry unable to picture those pop up messages as they were too quick. It appeared right after I logged in my AM account.
The date range listed is Nov 14 to Dec 4.