Shopping Discussion

AirMiles 2020 (RFD’s General Discussion Thread for this Loyalty Program)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2020 4:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

AirMiles 2020 (RFD’s General Discussion Thread for this Loyalty Program)

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the 2020 thread to discuss everything AirMiles www.airmiles.ca here on RFD

This General Discussion AirMiles thread is just that... for General Discussion of the AirMiles Program and day-to-day or ongoing ways to build or use Miles to one’s best advantage.

** Read thru the Page of Place Holder Posts here for more info on current & ongoing AirMiles issues **

Cheers!

Points Hubby
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 10th, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
352 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PLACE HOLDER # 1

Party Popper HAPPY NEW YEAR Bottle With Popping Cork🥂Balloon

We open the annual thread as we do each year with a check in on how everyone feels they did last year ... how many miles you earned, what status you obtained, as well as what were the highlights for you ... and what are your goals for 2020.

Feel free to take a moment to reflect & share, as I have done in Reply # 10

Cheers!

Points Hubby
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 7th, 2020 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PLACE HOLDER # 2

YEAR END / NEW YEAR REVIEW

LOYALTY PROGRAM HOUSEKEEPING

The end of a Quarter / Year is a good time to review your Loyalty Programs to see where you stand, and make notes on what you have achieved as well as what you still plan to do.

Printing off or screen shooting transactions by month can be helpful for evaluating progress / past history / success.

To see past history... LOG INTO your AirMiles Account.
Click on YOUR PROFILE, and then VIEW FULL TRANSACTION HISTORY.

Also now is the time to review your OUTSTANDING / PENDING AIrMiles from 2019 Transactions.

It’s helpful to maintain notes, or a spreadsheet alongside your relative receipts & screen shots of transactions.

Useful Columns = TRANSACTION DATE - AMs Partner - Retailer / Store / OnLine - Details of Purchase - Promotion - Base Miles Due - Bonus Miles Due - MILES POSTED - MILES STILL OUTSTANDING - ACTION TAKEN - RESULTS
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 7th, 2020 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PLACE HOLDER # 3

ANNUAL STATUS INFO

0 - 999 AirMiles = Blue
1000+ AirMiles = Gold
6000+ AirMiles = Onyx

Collectors begin each year with the Status that they earned in the Previous Year.

And then work January 1st to December 31st to accumulate miles towards status for the following year

Status is however awarded as soon as it is achieved, and no longer must one wait until January 1st of the following year to access benefits

Example,
Earn 1000 AirMiles by February 2, 2019, and you are Gold from then until December 31, 2020
Earn 6000 AirMiles by October 10, 2019 and you are Onyx from then until December 31, 2020

** NOTE - Onyx Status comes with a NEW set of Black AirMiles Cards, which are mailed out by snail mail and therefore full benefits are not really realized until the plastic cards arrive (as some Retailers do offer perks upon presentation of an Onyx Card)

This change in protocol took effect in the years 2017 & 2018
For more info see:

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Splash?sp ... cale=en_CA

2018 Gold & Onyx Qualifying Changes (RFD Discussion) = airmiles-announcement-changes-gold-onyx ... g-2150278/
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 7th, 2020 4:30 am, edited 6 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PLACE HOLDER # 4

NEWS

CRUISE ON ... with RedTag

Since January 8, 2019 AirMiles Travel Partner has been RedTag = www.redtag.ca

One can BOTH
EARN & REDEEM AirMiles with RedTag
For Vacation Pkgs ... offered by Air Canada Vacations, WestJet Vacations, Sunquest Vacations, Transat, Porter Escapes and Sunwing Vacations. Including sought after All Inclusive Resorts and also Cruise Bookings (added Fall 2019).

Get 1 Mile for every $20 spent on Package Vacations booked through redtag.ca

For every 909 Dream Miles used, you will get $100 towards a Package Vacation booking through redtag.ca.

As well as flexibility to both get and use Miles: use Dream Miles for dollars off online bookings and get Miles on the total value of your booking.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 7th, 2020 5:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PLACE HOLDER # 5

EVENTS - CURRENT & ONGOING

2019 SHOP THE BLOCK = November 14th thru December 27th, 2019

www.shoptheblock.ca

And the RFD AIRMILES - SHOP THE BLOCK 2019 - SUB FORUM = 2019-air-miles-mega-miles-f202/

This AirMiles BIG BONUS Event has now ended.

Look for outstanding Base Miles & Bonus Miles to POST in the weeks to come
FULL Partners & Retailers have various timeframes in which to Report / POST AirMiles
It varies from 30 Days from the Transaction OR End of the Promotion (December 27, 2019)
Through to 60 Days, 75 Days, 90 Days and even 120 Days

So MISSING MILE MARKERS for STB 2019 will be:
30 Days = January 27th
60 Days = February 25th
75 Days = March 11th
90 Days = March 26th
120 Days = April 26th

Refer to the AirMiles & AirMiles Shops.ca websites for more info on filing Missing Miles Reports

BUT REMEMBER to always begin your Missing Miles Inquiries with the FULL AMs PARTNERS that you bought from first
(Ie AirMiles Shops.ca, Rexall, Shell, Sobey’s etc) as often this will resolve the issue correctly the first time, and on a faster timeline than waiting out the full time lag required before filing a MISSING MILES Inquiry with AirMiles

Especially important too... if the MILES MISSING correspond to an AirMiles BIG BONUS Event where you are counting up completed Offers or Partners

NOTE - BIG BONUS Events in recent times have been POSTING THE BIG BONUSES around the 7 week mark
For STB 2019 that would be

* 1200 STB BB BAMs for 7 PARTNER COUNTS
* 800 STB BB BAMs for 5 PARTNER COUNTS
* 300 STB BB BAMs for 3 PARTNER COUNTS

IF the timeline holds true for STB 2019 ... as it did for STB 2018
We could see those STB BIG BONUS BAMs POST around February 14th
A nice Valentines Day Treat ❤️

===========================================================

PAST BIG BONUS EVENTS

AirMiles Shops.ca Christmas In July (July 3, 2019 - July 28, 2019)

RFD Discussion:

airmilesshops-ca-christmas-july-july-3r ... 9-2295888/

RFD Members reporting Christmas In July 2019 Bonuses POSTING as of November 21, 2019

AirMiles MegaMiles 2019 (March 21, 2019 - April 25, 2019)

2019 MegaMiles (RFD SUB FORUM)
= https://forums.redflagdeals.com/air-miles-archive-f205/

RFD Members reporting MegaMiles 2019 BIG BONUS Miles POSTING as of June 18, 2019

AirMiles Shop The Block 2018 (November 15, 2018 - December 27, 2018)

RFD Discussion:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/air-mil ... g-2234901/

RFD Members reporting STB 2018 BIG BONUS Miles POSTING as of February 14, 2019

Airmiles 2018 Pack to School Promotion & Contest (August 9, 2018 - September 9, 2018)

https://packtoschool.airmiles.ca/en/home

RFD Discussions:

HOT DEALS FORUM = AirMiles / AirMiles Shops.ca Get 100 / 300 / 1000 AMs Shopping At 2 / 3 / 5 Stores
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/air-mil ... s-2213165/

CONTEST FORUM = https://forums.redflagdeals.com/2018-09 ... l-2214435/

RFD Members reporting Pack To School 2018 Bonuses POSTING as of October 19, 2018

AirMiles 2018 MegaMiles (March 8, 2018 - April 12. 2018)

RFD Discussion:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/air-mil ... s-2175258/

RFD Members reporting MegaMiles 2018 BIG BONUS Miles POSTING as of May 30, 2018

AirMiles 2017 Shop The Block (November 14, 2017 - December 14, 2017)

RFD Discussion:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/air-mil ... 7-2141077/

RFD Members Reporting Shop The Block 2017 BIG BONUS Miles POSTING as of February 2, 2018

Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 10th, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 19 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PLACE HOLDER # 6

HELPFUL LINKS

AirMiles Website = www.airmiles.ca

Last year’s RFD Thread
AirMiles 2019 (General Discussion) thread = http://forums.redflagdeals.com/air-mile ... d-2253595/

2018 Thread
AirMiles 2018 (General Discussion) thread = http://forums.redflagdeals.com/airmiles ... n-2159478/

RFD 2020 Gift Cards Deals & Discounts thread = various-retailers-gift-card-deals-disco ... 0-2344941/

* Scroll down to the section on AirMiles - Bonus Offers

AirMiles FULL Partners (In Store Listing) = https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/SponsorDi ... En+magasin

* Set to your own Province / Territory or Region

AirMiles Shops.ca Retailer Directory = https://www.airmilesshops.ca/en/directory#shops

* Hover over logoes to see STORE INFO... and click thru to discover the Terms & Conditions for each Retailer providing AirMiles thru AirMiles Shops.ca

Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 7th, 2020 4:43 am, edited 12 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PLACE HOLDER # 7

TIPS & TRICKS

EARNING

* Sign up for emails / newsletters with AMs PARTNERS. Look for promos / Bonus Miles for doing so
(Example ... Sobey’s Group Regularly runs a 25 BAMs bonus for doing so ... see their e-flyer for info)

* Become familiar with the AirMiles Website = www.airmiles.ca
There is a whole section dedicated to EARNING MILES with Offers & Promos
(To be continued ...)
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 9th, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PLACE HOLDER # 8

MISCELLANEOUS
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I’ll start...

LAST YEAR (2019) IN REVIEW

I began 2019 as an Onyx Member
I ended 2019 as an Onyx Member
Having earned back my Onyx Status for 2020 by accumulating over 6000 AMs in 2019

In total, we earned just over 11,000 AMs in 2019. Of which a few hundred are still outstanding (mostly from Oynx Promotions we opted into during Fall 2019 and a few STB Miles).

We reached our necessary 6000 Onyx Mile Marker back in Mid June... the same week as in 2018. Getting the BIG BONUS MegaMiles POSTING in June, was definitely a contributing factor in making Onyx so early in the year.

Our highest mileage months in 2019 were February and June ... thanks to the BIG BONUS Miles POSTING for Shop the Block 2018, and MegaMiles 2019 respectively. Our next biggest month was December 2019... which we attribute to Holiday Spending, STB 2019, as well as the many other great promos that AirMiles ran during Q4 that didn’t actually POST until December.

Our largest earners annually continue to be BIG BONUS Events followed by AMs Credit Cards, AirMilesShops.ca Multipliers, Onyx Challenges, and other events & promotions like Bonus Booms, Sobey’s Blue Friday etc. Overall we found there were more opportunities to earn in 2019 than in 2018. And our spending remained about the same. As we don’t believe in chasing miles for miles sake ... we see them just as an added perk for purchases we would have made anyway.

As always, RFD is about sharing info. I could not do it without everyone else in this community. So THANKS to everyone for your help & encouragement, and a shout out to the regulars on this thread who never fail to post an offer so everyone else can benefit.

We really appreciate it.
And look forward to another great year here on RFD

HAPPY COLLECTING EVERYONE

Points Hubby
Smiling Face With Sunglasses

PS... Nice bonus this year was hearing that 2 people I coached on AirMiles got out beyond “the blue”. One made Gold and the other Onyx. Way to go guys!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2533 posts
113 upvotes
Got 11,000+ AM for 2019, the biggest amount so far.

Got Onyx for the first time in early April.

Made two flight redemptions: one to New Orleans which gave me 54.7 cpp, the other was a last minute one way ticket to Vancouver which was just over 15 cpp. Not too bad.
Jul 25, 2018
628 posts
356 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
My Air Miles game fell off after my Japan trip. But I still completed STB 2019. As I don't have plans to spend what I have, I imagine I'll want to maintain Onyx.

Subbing!
Penalty Box
Oct 14, 2005
1461 posts
761 upvotes
Earned over 22000 Air Miles last year. Here's hoping for another good year.

Too bad I don't know how to get flights without crazy taxes eating into it. I don't often fly within Canada or to the U.S.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Diafel wrote: Earned over 22000 Air Miles last year. Here's hoping for another good year.

Too bad I don't know how to get flights without crazy taxes eating into it. I don't often fly within Canada or to the U.S.
Living in Canada & Airlines ... unfortunately means we have high taxes and fees on flights
No way any of us can avoid it
Many Loyalty Programs work in such a way that when Rewards are redeemed, one still has to pay the taxes in cash

There is a “work around” for this in the AMs Program
But it requires one to have the AMEX AMs Reserve CC
Which allows one to book flights at the rate of 770 AMs = $ 100
Including the taxes & fees
So if the flight cost including Taxes & Fees is $ 600
Then you redeem 4620 AMs (6 x 770) for the whole shebang
This is known as AMEX AMs FLEXFLY

The AMEX AMs Reserve Card has a bunch of other nice perks
Like Automatic Onyx Status, Annual Companion Flight Benefit, Access to Biz Class Seats, and Priority Lanes & Lounge Access, Trip & Travel Medical Insurances etc

The downside a $ 299 Annual Fee
BUT the Annual Companion Flight Benefit can easily off set that expense

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... edit-card/
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1352 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
First off all a big thanks to PointsHubby and everyone here that posts their tips and tricks. Using the knowledge from here, 2019 was my second year as a serious collector and the first year we have been using two accounts.

Earned 8,228 on my account and 14,641 on the second account (my wife's).

Used hers more often as she signed up for the BMO MC last year and we will get a rebate on the 2nd flight redemption, so I wanted to make sure there are lots of dream miles available.

Completed all big events on both accounts and got the sign up bonuses for the Amex Platinum (me) and the BMO MC cards (her). The plan is to churn both cards this year and get the sign up bonuses again. Should work this year as we will each get the opposite cards, next year may be YMMV.

I am also going to wait for the BMO MC next promo as the current one that expires Jan. 15th does not include the rebate on the 2nd flight redemption.
:arrow:
Car Dealer not honouring the warranty on a new vehicle? See this thread