Shopping Discussion

Locked: AirMiles 2020 (RFD’s General Discussion Thread for this Loyalty Program)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2021 3:22 am
Dec 13, 2017
245 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Received 20 bonus air miles listed under air mile shops as Sept CU? I dont know what this is for, it isnt on my list of pending miles.
Any ideas?
Me too! Nice to see, but I went back through all my copious Air Miles promotions notes, and didn't see anything that would trigger this here in BC.

A belated Happy New Year to everyone, and especially to PointsHubby. Thank you for your steady guidance to Onyx each year!
Sep 13, 2019
40 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
JoyMBee wrote: Thanks Points Hubby but I have that one as being posted on Oct 30 under AMRP marketing bonus 20 miles?
If this is the Sept offer than I dont know what the Oct 30 miles are for lol Oh well I got 20 miles for something.
My collect 200 get 100 more offer from late September posted as AMRP 100 miles at the end of October as well. It is not that.

I also just received airmilesshops.ca SEPT CU 20 miles. I am not sure what it is for either. I did make a purchase through airmilesshops.ca in September so perhaps that triggered something.
Mar 7, 2009
327 posts
1418 upvotes
Clarington
My family has 3 cards that my husband & I collect air miles with. One belongs to our daughter. Between all 3 cards we collected 32,468 miles (combination of dream and cash) for 2019.

My card = 15,308 miles for 2019. With miles from the previous year I redeemed 30,639 Dream Miles for a computer, a samsung tablet, two MNSSHP tickets, and 1 Gatorland Annual Pass.

My husband's card = 14,957 miles for 2019. We started his card Dec 2017 and redeemed 22,950 Dream Miles this year for 4 Universal Studios tickets (3 parks, 2 days + 3 days free) and 2 MNSSHP tickets.

My daughter's card = 2,203 miles for 2019, started in March. No redemption of miles.

Our 2020 Air Miles goals are to keep our daughter's card at Dream Miles. My husband & my cards were switched over to cash miles after our Florida vacation. Now we are "cashing out" our Cash Miles and tucking them into a vacation account for an Alaskan cruise in 3-5 years or so. Sometime after our kids have moved out. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes We're off to a good start with $570 tucked away from cash miles in the last 4 months of 2019.

Happy New Year everyone!
Mar 14, 2018
80 posts
74 upvotes
WOW! that is awesome.
Are you using the cash miles for stuff like gas and then moving the real $$ to another account?
I saw you can now use miles for cruise but thought it was the dream miles.
my wife and I did an alaskan cruise on Celebrity - highly recommend!
Mar 2, 2018
288 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
beaugeo wrote: How do you use AM for Disney Hotels? The only place i could figure out how is through red tag deals link on Airmiles but you have to get a package with flights ,tickets, and hotel. And it wasn't flexable at all to work with. IE i wanted 8 days but only could get 5 or 7.
Disney resorts are back up on the Airmiles site. Search for Bay Lake FL. I was searching for November 2020 (other dates may not be available)
Feb 8, 2012
199 posts
126 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
AMlovesDisney wrote: Disney resorts are back up on the Airmiles site. Search for Bay Lake FL. I was searching for November 2020 (other dates may not be available)
Thanks. There is one Disney Resort available for when i am going next month. But the price tag is a bit steep for the Art of Animation Resort at over 4400 air miles per night. I randomly checked other dates for the All Stars resorts and they popped up for 1800 ish per night. But when you click on them it said "sorry not available". The more expensive (4000+) they seem to work. If we book Disney World again i'll have to try this way.
Penalty Box
Jul 6, 2018
1044 posts
1990 upvotes
Forgive this rant into advance. But I'm done collecting crapmiles. I've got 10,000 miles and can't figure out a useful way to spend them. Let me explain.

First of all. Splitting miles into cash miles and dream miles? Does any other rewards program pull these shenanigans? Not that I know of. So my miles are "dream" miles and they're stuck that way.

First, what exactly is going on with these flights? Do they really think we're that stupid? THE TAXES AND FEES ARE MORE THAN THE A REGULAR FULL PRICE TICKET OFF GOOGLE FLIGHTS! Is this a joke or something? The website is slow and clunky and it's impossible to find the flight you want. Ok so maybe I'll get some merchandise? Have you seen the stuff that's on there? It's all of bunch of useless knick-knacks and shit you'd find in a dumpster. The electronics section is a bunch of ancient laptops and weird brands you've never heard of.

I can't convert them to cash miles. You can't redeem dream miles for gift cards anymore. The discount from the BMO Airmiles card has been reduced from 25% to a measly 15%. The most recent "Shop the block" event was a steaming pile of poo.

What exactly is Airmiles' plan with all these "cuts"? Just piss everyone off so they stop using the program? I can't wait to spend my miles on something, cut up my airmiles cards, cancel my BMO card, and then burn them all.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
poopooplatter wrote: Forgive this rant into advance. But I'm done collecting crapmiles. I've got 10,000 miles and can't figure out a useful way to spend them. Let me explain.

First of all. Splitting miles into cash miles and dream miles? Does any other rewards program pull these shenanigans? Not that I know of. So my miles are "dream" miles and they're stuck that way.

First, what exactly is going on with these flights? Do they really think we're that stupid? THE TAXES AND FEES ARE MORE THAN THE A REGULAR FULL PRICE TICKET OFF GOOGLE FLIGHTS! Is this a joke or something? The website is slow and clunky and it's impossible to find the flight you want. Ok so maybe I'll get some merchandise? Have you seen the stuff that's on there? It's all of bunch of useless knick-knacks and shit you'd find in a dumpster. The electronics section is a bunch of ancient laptops and weird brands you've never heard of.

I can't convert them to cash miles. You can't redeem dream miles for gift cards anymore. The discount from the BMO Airmiles card has been reduced from 25% to a measly 15%. The most recent "Shop the block" event was a steaming pile of poo.

What exactly is Airmiles' plan with all these "cuts"? Just piss everyone off so they stop using the program? I can't wait to spend my miles on something, cut up my airmiles cards, cancel my BMO card, and then burn them all.
I remember you from the STB 2019 SUB FORUM
Myself & several others replied to these same complaints then

And now, like then ... It’s a case of several things...

1- You not being self aware of what you wanted when you signed up (Dream vs Cash Miles)
2- You not understanding how the program works ... and how to get the most out of it
And
3- Based on other RFD threads I have read where you have participated you are very much a glass half empty sort ... and OMG nearing empty kind of Dude. Someone who churns credit cards, and looks for IMMEDIATE gratification.

AirMiles, particularly AirMiles Dream Mikes is more of a long persons game
Only way to speed things up is to get the AMEX AMs Reserve Card with immediate Onyx Status, Annual Companion Flight Bonus ... and FlexFly (where 770 AMs = $ 100 in booking credit which also works on Taxes & Fees as well as Biz Class)
All that was explained to you on the STB 2019 thread

Lol, but then you’ve clearly said on other RFD Threads
That you also think AMEX is garbage too ... and won’t get a card with them cuz they have Annual Fees
So there you have it

If you want to enjoy this program as many of us do
You either got to read / research more
Or if not ... maybe ya it’s time for you to get out of it

But I would hardly say it’s AMs fault
Because you misunderstood
:rolleyes:
May 27, 2005
328 posts
354 upvotes
I have 11,000 airmiles that I've been saving over the years which I thought was alot, but I found out last week that my parents have over 500,000 air miles (both collecting on the same number over their lifetimes and never redeeming....

Any ideas on how to best use this to pull out some money? I looked on the site but it seems it can't be exchanged for gift cards or anything like that... Ideas RFD family?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
chillin858 wrote: I have 11,000 airmiles that I've been saving over the years which I thought was alot, but I found out last week that my parents have over 500,000 air miles (both collecting on the same number over their lifetimes and never redeeming....

Any ideas on how to best use this to pull out some money? I looked on the site but it seems it can't be exchanged for gift cards or anything like that... Ideas RFD family?
Lol ... use an AMs Onyx Personal Shopper & Buy a Car
Guy out west did that a few years ago

500,000 AMs at the Standard Conversion Rate
(As per Cash Miles = 95 AMs = $ 10)
Means those AMs Mom & Dad have are worth ~ $ 52,632.00

More if they get an AMEX AMs Reserve CC and decide to travel
(AMEX FlexFly Rate = 770 AMs = $ 100)
Plus that card has the Annual Companion Flight Benefit
And one can use Miles to go Business Class
Or use miles to also pay for Taxes & Fees

Vacations, Cruises, Hotels, Car Rental
Lots more than just flights!

Lots one can do with a half million AirMiles
But cashing them out for cash ... nope
Mar 2, 2018
288 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
@chillin858 If your parents need the cash they could like PointsHubby suggested book at trip but instead of taking it themselves book it for a family member and then get the family members to pay them for the value of the trip. That is the only way you will get cash out of Dream miles.

Depending on the age of your parents they should think about using those miles sooner than later. Talk with them about switching over to Cash miles (for all future earning). Those they can use to reduce their grocery bill.

I never collect more miles than I can use up in the next 2 or 3 years. When I reach that point I switch over to Cash and cash those out purchasing groceries. I then take my groceries savings and put them aside for a future holiday. (ie use 190 Cash AM, I put $20 aside for travel)
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1043 upvotes
chillin858 wrote: I have 11,000 airmiles that I've been saving over the years which I thought was alot, but I found out last week that my parents have over 500,000 air miles (both collecting on the same number over their lifetimes and never redeeming....

Bruh are they 98 years old?
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
Did anyone get this offer? Shop at Sobey's and get 100ams free?
Screenshot_20200116-165934_Chrome.jpg
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mikka2017 wrote: Did anyone get this offer? Shop at Sobey's and get 100ams free?

This is one of the many Email TARGETED OFFERS out there

I don’t have that one for this month (did have one for December 2019)

The 2 Email TARGETED OFFERS I have thus far are:

* 2x the AMs at AMs PARTICIPATING Partners When I Use my BMO AMs WE Mastercard (January 3rd thru 24th) - OPT IN REQUIRED
See Reply # 33 in this thread for more info

And

* 75 BAMs for a $ 50+ Purchase @ HBC (January 3rd thru 31st) - COUPON REQUIRED

BOTH are ... NON TRANSFERABLE for the AMs Card ending in ****
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
mikka2017 wrote: Did anyone get this offer? Shop at Sobey's and get 100ams free?

Thanks for posting screenshot as often have email overload! lol

Just checked and we received emails for both AM cards ... yay, 1 banana each .25 since no minimum purchase, .50 spend for $21 or $20.50 gain :)

Hmm, wonder if this is targeted to people that rarely shop at Sobeys, like us ... or are you a frequent Sobeys shopper @mikka2017 ?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mzmoney wrote: Thanks for posting screenshot as often have email overload! lol

Just checked and we received emails for both AM cards ... yay, 1 banana each .25 since no minimum purchase, .50 spend for $21 or $20.50 gain :)

Hmm, wonder if this is targeted to people that rarely shop at Sobeys, like us ... or are you a frequent Sobeys shopper @mikka2017 ?
Question ... the screen shot that @mikka2017 shows is the one that pops up AFTER YOU OPT IN

Curious what the actual offer said ...

100 BAMs for just shopping @ Sobey’s ... or was there an actual MIN SPEND AMOUNT ?

From the reply by @mzmoney looks like there was NO MINIMUM

Our Offers have always has had a minimum, even if just $ 20 ... but then we shop at Sobey’s or IGA Quebec at least once a month
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote: Question ... the screen shot that @mikka2017 shows is the one that pops up AFTER YOU OPT IN

Curious what the actual offer said ...

100 BAMs for just shopping @ Sobey’s ... or was there an actual MIN SPEND AMOUNT ?

From the reply by @mzmoney looks like there was NO MINIMUM

Our Offers have always has had a minimum, even if just $ 20 ... but then we shop at Sobey’s or IGA Quebec at least once a month
Here you go!
Images
  • Screenshot_20200116-190641.png
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mzmoney wrote: Here you go!
Cool

Every little bit helps ... and 100 BAMs at a time ... helps a lot
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2018
1075 posts
664 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
mzmoney wrote: Here you go!
That's an awesome deal. I unfortunately did not receive it :(

I'll be honest, I've been pretty disappointed by the amount and "quality" of Onyx offers. This probably isn't even that, but still.