Expired Hot Deals

[American Express] Airmiles Referral Program (for AMEX) - Upto 1000 Airmiles or more

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2013 5:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3731 posts
16344 upvotes
TORONTO

[American Express] Airmiles Referral Program (for AMEX) - Upto 1000 Airmiles or more

More offers from American Express

1000 AMs is equivalent to ~$105 cash rewards, worth more if redeemed on others. So at minimum thats ~$21 per referral (which is just plain signup, no spend involved), not too bad.

edit: From the terms it seems like you have to get people to sign up for AMEX. Boo :(

I'm wondering if this is targetted promo or open to all .. I'll update OP as more people report in.

Terms

Code: Select all

* All references to you mean the Basic Cardmember. The referral bonus will be awarded to the Basic Cardmember on the American Express® AIR MILES®* Credit Card account based on each eligible referral. Terms and conditions apply.

1. Referral bonus awarded to the Basic Cardmember. Your account must be in good standing. You agree to only make recommendations to known friends or family members with whom you have a relationship and who have confirmed to you that they want to receive this communication. You must not send recommendations to people you do not know. The referral bonus will be awarded to you based on each eligible referral for which American Express receives an application that is subsequently approved, subject to all applicable terms and conditions. Due to the confidential nature of the approval process, you will not be notified when applications are approved or declined and any individual you have referred must agree to allow your account to be bonused upon approval or you will not receive the referral bonus. If our records indicate that any person you have referred has opted not to receive e-mails from us, your referral will not be sent and you will not receive the referral bonus offered as part of this program. Referral program varies by product and may be modified, suspended, cancelled or otherwise terminated without notice. Cannot be combined with any other offer. If the people that you refer have already applied for the product that you are referring without participating in this program, neither you nor they will be eligible for referral bonus offered as part of this program. Likewise, if the people you refer decide to apply for a Card through this referral program other than the one you have specifically recommended, the referral bonus for which you and they may be eligible will vary. Referral program participants should allow 8 to 10 weeks for the award of the referral bonus once program criteria have been met and must be enrolled in the corresponding loyalty program when the referral bonus is awarded. All products and services are subject to applicable terms and conditions. 

2. Offer subject to change at any time. Offer valid for applications received by American Express through the links provided within the referral communication and other select communications from americanexpress.ca. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Account must be in good standing. Referral bonus will be awarded if and when you and the friend(s) and family member(s) that you refer through the referral program meet all program criteria. Referral program criteria varies by product and may change at any time without notice. See specific referral program terms for details. If the friend(s) and/or family member(s) that you refer have already applied for the product that you are referring without participating in this program, neither you nor they will be eligible for the referral bonus offered as part of this program. Referral program participants should allow 8 to 10 weeks for the award of the referral bonus once program criteria have been met and must be enrolled in the corresponding loyalty program when the referral bonus is awarded. All products and services are subject to applicable terms and conditions.

3. A select flight is a return flight with origin and destination within the same province and having a departure date during the low season of Jan. 8 – Feb. 28; Apr. 1 – May 31; Sept. 16 – Dec. 15. Other flight options may be available, go to www.airmiles.ca/flightzones for more details. All Rewards offered are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the AIR MILES Reward Program, are subject to change and may be withdrawn without notice. To redeem for Travel Rewards, you must have accumulated sufficient AIR MILES reward miles in your Dream Balance. Collectors must pay taxes, fuel surcharges and other applicable charges and fees on air travel Rewards. Travel Rewards may be subject to a minimum advance booking and availability from participating Suppliers. For complete details, see current Program Terms and Conditions available at airmiles.ca or the AIR MILES Customer Care Centre at 1-888-AIR MILES (in Toronto (416) 226-5171).

Referral program terms:
Referral bonus awarded to the basic Cardmember. Your account must be in good standing. You agree to only make recommendations to known friends or family members with whom you have a relationship and who have confirmed to you that they want to receive this communication. You must not send recommendations to people you do not know. The referral bonus will be awarded to you based on each eligible referral for which American Express receives an application that is subsequently approved, subject to all applicable terms and conditions. Due to the confidential nature of the approval process, you will not be notified when applications are approved or declined and any individual you have referred must agree to allow your account to be bonused upon approval or you will not receive the referral bonus. If our records indicate that any person you have referred has opted not to receive e-mails from us, your referral will not be sent and you will not receive the referral bonus offered as part of this program. Referral program varies by product and may be modified, suspended, cancelled or otherwise terminated without notice. Cannot be combined with any other offer. If the people that you refer have already applied for the product that you are referring without participating in this program, neither you nor they will be eligible for referral bonus offered as part of this program. Likewise, if the people you refer decide to apply for a Card through this referral program other than the one you have specifically recommended, the referral bonus for which you and they may be eligible will vary. Referral program participants should allow 8 to 10 weeks for the award of the referral bonus once program criteria have been met and must be enrolled in the corresponding loyalty program when the referral bonus is awarded. All products and services are subject to applicable terms and conditions.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5038 posts
535 upvotes
Montreal
This is not targeted - this is the usual Amex referral program. There's a few threads going on this already. The referrer must have an Amex Airmiles card, and the referee must open one. Not to threadcrap, but this is really, really, really, really, really, really really really REALLY not a good deal - people are better opening up the Membership Rewards cards, getting referral points and doing other stuff with them (hell, the 20,000 welcome points that you get from being referred to an Amex Gold card are worth $200 at least, if redeemed straight for cash).

The only difference: this is a credit card, so it can carry a balance, as opposed to the MR cards, which are charge -> must be paid in full. But this should not be a deciding factor for ANYONE.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3731 posts
16344 upvotes
TORONTO
^ yup, I made an edit to the OP as well as the thread title. I got too excited :o
May 19, 2010
127 posts
59 upvotes
St John's
I received a similar email but it is for the Platinum American Express card. It says 500 per referral up to 2500 when you refer 5. But I assume it requires you to have the platinum and the refereed person to sign up for the platinum.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5038 posts
535 upvotes
Montreal
bjc123 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2013 4:13 pm
I received a similar email but it is for the Platinum American Express card. It says 500 per referral up to 2500 when you refer 5. But I assume it requires you to have the platinum and the refereed person to sign up for the platinum.
I wonder why they limit the number of referrals here, but not on the regular MR cards. Must be some contractual thing, as I don't see MORE people being referred as a bad thing.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
2279 posts
561 upvotes
bjc123 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2013 4:13 pm
Not really...yes, the friend has to sign up for the Plat, but you don't need to have Plat to refer.

A few months ago (Feb 2013) I used my AMEX Airmiles GOLD to refer myself for the AMEX Airmiles Platinum. Got 500 for referring, then 500 on first use, and then an additional 550 Airmiles after spending $500 within 3 months, for a total of 1550 Airmiles. $65 annual fee waived for the first year.

The only issue I encountered is that AMEX won't let me (anyone?) carry more than two of their CREDIT cards...I also carry the Costco Plat CC, so they called me and advised that if I want to continue with the application, that they would have to cancel one of the CREDIT cards, either the Costco Plat or the AMEX Airmiles Gold. I told them to deep-six the Airmiles Gold.

They didn't quite cancel it completely, because it still had a $100 credit limit on it...I think they kept it partially 'alive' so that I could get the 500 referral Airmiles. Nice of 'em!!
× < >