• Oct 11th, 2012 11:52 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 17, 2009
49 posts
7 upvotes

airmiles vs aeroplan

debating whether to start filling up at esso (aeroplan) or shell (airmiles)

just wondering what is a better rewards program. in which program do you get the biggest bang for the buck and what do your redeem your points for?

thankS!
10 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
I have both. I really don't view it as an 'either - or' proposition. I wouldn't use an inconvenient petrol station just to get the few Aeroplan miles that Esso dishes out. Nor would I pay a dime more for my petrol. Air Miles at Shell seems to be a better deal in terms of their points. Both cards cost you nothing to keep in your wallet, so you can use them at whatever merchants accept them.

I booked a Prince Rupert (BC)-Deer Lake (NL)-Calgary trip the other day on Aeroplan; cost me 25,000 points + $90 in fees. That's an excellent use of the points that would ordinarily have cost $1200+. Other great uses include so-called "mini-RTW" flights which is basically travelling to a destination in Asia with a stopover in Europe on one reward.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
5971 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I gas up at Costco mostly. Between Esso and Shell I choose Esso. AM is more limited and usually better for short haul flights. AE can give more flexibility, but not by much.

Cash is king. So I use mbna 2% cashback as the primary CC, rather than earning AE or AM points.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
2870 posts
203 upvotes
Mississauga
aeroplan on its own imo is not worth it.

1 point for every 3 bucks.

get aeroplan + cibc visa infinite card

1 point for every 3 bucks.
+ 4.5 points for every 3 bucks (1.5 for every $1)

but the cibc visa is $120 a year.

but like the other poster, i am now switching to smart cash. cash is king.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
5971 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
mbk.2k3 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2012 8:50 pm
but the cibc visa is $120 a year.
They were waiving the fee this summer. That was a good time to get the card.
Aug 20, 2009
132 posts
20 upvotes
the best place to fill up are refuel / superstore gas stations, -2cents / L and most of the time people leave their receipts so you can get like $1-3 extra while it autopumps up your gas :)
I like cats
Feb 14, 2010
26 posts
1 upvote
Mark77 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2012 3:55 pm
I have both. I really don't view it as an 'either - or' proposition. I wouldn't use an inconvenient petrol station just to get the few Aeroplan miles that Esso dishes out. Nor would I pay a dime more for my petrol. Air Miles at Shell seems to be a better deal in terms of their points. Both cards cost you nothing to keep in your wallet, so you can use them at whatever merchants accept them.

I booked a Prince Rupert (BC)-Deer Lake (NL)-Calgary trip the other day on Aeroplan; cost me 25,000 points + $90 in fees. That's an excellent use of the points that would ordinarily have cost $1200+. Other great uses include so-called "mini-RTW" flights which is basically travelling to a destination in Asia with a stopover in Europe on one reward.
You live in Rupert area?
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
Futurama wrote:
Oct 10th, 2012 2:14 am
You live in Rupert area?
No. I am going to hop onto Via Rail and see that part of the country though next summer (the train tickets are remarkably cheap from Jasper and its likely that the train will no longer exist in a couple years given the budgetary situation in Ottawa!). And I have some friends to visit in Deer Lake and Calgary. I'm kind of crazy about getting maximum value out of my Aeroplan redemptions too :lol: .

A health condition prevents me from travelling out of Canada right now, so gotta make the best out of a poor situation until I am all better (and not terrified about the quality/cost of treatment I'd receive outside of Canada if my condition flares up, since I'm basically un-insurable!).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes
WhNo one has asked, but where do you live? Out East Aeroplan is a big ripoff in my opinion- we have checked more than once and they offer nothing but 6AM flights (that's booking about 6-8 months in advance) while Airmiles will offer better flights up to a few weeks before assuming they have seats.

I used to collect AM and my wife AE but I moved to cash back and I'm trying to convince her to do the same.
I buy KitKat (the Chocolate) swag, contact me if you have anything to sell with your price!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9302 posts
190 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2012 3:57 am
No. I am going to hop onto Via Rail and see that part of the country though next summer (the train tickets are remarkably cheap from Jasper and its likely that the train will no longer exist in a couple years given the budgetary situation in Ottawa!). And I have some friends to visit in Deer Lake and Calgary. I'm kind of crazy about getting maximum value out of my Aeroplan redemptions too :lol: .

A health condition prevents me from travelling out of Canada right now, so gotta make the best out of a poor situation until I am all better (and not terrified about the quality/cost of treatment I'd receive outside of Canada if my condition flares up, since I'm basically un-insurable!).
Yeah it's incredible how much just a simple trip the hospital in the US can cost you if you're uninsured (can empty out your savings/go bankrupt just that quickly).
Sep 8, 2012
186 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Feneant wrote:
Oct 11th, 2012 5:57 am
WhNo one has asked, but where do you live? Out East Aeroplan is a big ripoff in my opinion- we have checked more than once and they offer nothing but 6AM flights (that's booking about 6-8 months in advance) while Airmiles will offer better flights up to a few weeks before assuming they have seats.

I used to collect AM and my wife AE but I moved to cash back and I'm trying to convince her to do the same.
What routes were you looking at for that? YYZ/YUL to NE US is not bad availability.

My experience is advance bookings on competitive routes - Aeroplan is horrendous, but monopoly routes or last minute redemptions can be excellent. Return trip BOS-YYZ booked in an emergency on day of outbound travel in February was $1400 or 15,000 Aeroplans + $150. Yes I object to the $150, but Aeroplan in this case saved from an immense pickle or spending that exorbitant and offensive revenue price.
× < >