Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto

Airport Lounges

I'm travelling with my family next week from Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale and back a week later. With young kids, I'm thinking I'll get lounge access while we're waiting at the airport.

Does anyone have any feedback on what's available at Pearson and at Ft. Lauderdale airports, and what's required for access? Cost isn't an issue but I know many are restricted to first-class and/or credit cards etc.

TIA
--
There is no happy ending
5 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
There is a pay-for-use Plaza Premium Lounge at Pearson; I think it comes out to 40+ per person. As for the airline lounges you'll need a frequent flyer status or a lounge access pass. Perhaps a friend can donate a couple passes to you? With Air Canada you can also purchase a lounge pass as an add-on to your ticket.

Personally I would not pay for lounge access, especially if you have young children. People will be giving you dirty looks because your kids will be bored and end up making a fuss in the lounge. Outside, your children can run around unimpeded, eat, and shop.

I only go to the lounges because I can get in for free or tag along with a frequent flyer... The lounges in North America are not much better than the outside seating area except for the free drinks and basic snacks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
I've been to the Plaza premium lounge in T1 and T3 at YYZ. I would not pay the $$$ to get in there with family for pre-flight. Maybe for a long layover.

I've gone with my family but it's free and my son is young. It makes keeping an eye on him significantly easier cause he's at the wandering stage. We distract him with a little bit of food.

If I had to pay, Its be easier to just wander around d the airport and buy him something to keep him occupied for the 30 mins until boarding.

And as mentioned, the business travellers who have paid $ to get away from everyone don't like hearing kids go wild.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3416 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
What are your reasons for lounge access? To excape the crowd? Food? Work? Personally I've been to Maple Leaf and Plaza. Maple Leaf is quite roomy and plenty of tables to work on. However I enjoyed the food at Plaza a bit more, but it's small (cozy).

Good article to check out:

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2013 ... equal.html

[QUOTE]1. Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounges:

No surprise that Pearson’s Big Kahuna has the best-equipped lounges, all three of them in Terminal 1. Features include showers and child-care centres. The food is good and plentiful (they recently added sandwiches to the lunch lineup), with pastas for supper, real oatmeal with fresh fruit for breakfast, baked-on-premises cookies. Good coffee, decent variety of free liquors and liqueurs. The soothing waterfall in the international lounge is better than Valium. A day pass is $50 (all ages) and must be purchased in advance with your ticket.

2. Air France-KLM Lounge:

The two airlines merged in 2004, but it wasn’t until last year that the KLM Crown Lounge was renamed and became a truly combined facility. The result? Kind of like if the Eiffel Tower and a windmill got married and had a child. There are newspapers in Dutch and French. Nibble on imported Gouda and sip frosty Heineken on tap, or drink Barton & Guestier wine with mini-quiches. Some staff wear the KLM uniform, others wear Air France. Pleasant, and great value, too. A day pass is $34 (tax incl., kids under 12 free), and you can stay as long as you want. In Terminal 3’s international area, down the hall from the British Airways lounge and Plaza Premium’s flagship lounge.

3. American Airlines’ Admirals Club:

They might sing about “Something Special in the Air”, but, on the ground, there’s “Something Stingy in the Air.” Its overall appearance is respectable, they have the requisite comfy chairs and business centres, and, to its credit, they offer the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. But the only complimentary foods on offer are Christie cookies and apples (they produce the cheese and crackers tray after 3 p.m.). Sure they have other food, but you have to pay: A tiny yogurt is $1.49, a chef’s salad $9.00. Beverage-wise, they offer free coffee, juices, pop and a decent assortment of booze. A shot of the fancier brands like Absolut vodka will set you back $9.61. Admission: $50 U.S. They are the only lounge in Terminal 3’s U.S. departure area. Methinks the cheese tray would arrive earlier if they had some competition.

4. British Airways’ Lounge:

Nice place — but talk about snooty! Think of it as an extension of their aircraft’s first-class/business class/economy divisions. First-class passengers are seated in the first-class dining room and served fare such as hen of the woods mushroom flan at tables topped with white linen and roses. Business-class types visit the generous buffet to serve themselves foods like tandoori chicken and smoked ham. Frequent-flyer-point visitors are confined to the steerage section, which, to its credit, features lovely snacks including hearty soups and wraps. A touch of ’ome is provided to all classes via the Boddingtons Pub Ale, Twinings tea and a variety of British newspapers. The staff circulates to help with computer problems and other service issues, but you just know their other job is to stop the plebs from sneaking into first class. No walk-in trade or day passes at this lounge.

5. Plaza Premium Lounges:

The non-denominational Holiday Inn of lounges since it’s affiliated with no particular airline and is very comfortable but not posh. Your $35.00 (plus tax) gets you up to three hours in the lounge ($28 for kids 4-11, also $28 for a 2-hour stay), but 20-per-cent-off coupons are available at Flight Centres and elsewhere. It’s an extra $10 an hour after the three-hour max. The food is hearty and plentiful — and no other lounge serves eggs at breakfast (hard-boiled don’t count, Air Canada!). Free booze, but no liqueurs here. Not the cheapest, but good value. And you can’t beat the convenience: three Plaza Premium lounges in Terminal 1, two in Terminal 3 (three of them have showers).

Now for the awards:

Best Pretzels: Air Canada. Made by the Krispy Kernels company, these babies are buttery. Tasting is believing.

The Cone-of-Silence Prize: Goes to Air Canada. Their lounges offer “phone-free areas.”

Best Cookies: British Airways. If you’ve never had made-in-Scotland Walkers biscuits, you and your cardiologist are in for a treat.

Most Unusual Beverage: Plaza Premium. Their signature drink is a healthy rooibos tea expresso. Try it cappuccino-style: Nutty-flavoured and nice.

• Note: Business-class passengers are normally admitted free to the lounges (including the Plaza Premium, which hosts a number of airlines). Restrictions apply. Memberships are also available, while some credit cards, such as certain American Express Platinum models, get you in free. Consult your travel agent, credit card company or the airlines for details.[/QUOTE]
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
coolspot wrote: There is a pay-for-use Plaza Premium Lounge at Pearson; I think it comes out to 40+ per person. As for the airline lounges you'll need a frequent flyer status or a lounge access pass. Perhaps a friend can donate a couple passes to you? With Air Canada you can also purchase a lounge pass as an add-on to your ticket.

Personally I would not pay for lounge access, especially if you have young children. People will be giving you dirty looks because your kids will be bored and end up making a fuss in the lounge. Outside, your children can run around unimpeded, eat, and shop.

I only go to the lounges because I can get in for free or tag along with a frequent flyer... The lounges in North America are not much better than the outside seating area except for the free drinks and basic snacks.
Never, ever had anyone give a look to our kids who we let go up to get food, watch TV, play video games...there are many times when there are 1/3 to 1/2 of the lounge is filled with non business travelers. As a note, most of the time I am in the lounge for business travel (up to 50 lounge visits a year in the past). Most of the lounges at larger airports have quiet sections or business only sections if it was really an issue.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother unless you really need it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
nalababe wrote: Never, ever had anyone give a look to our kids who we let go up to get food, watch TV, play video games...
Looks like your kids are well behaved - but just warning the OP a lounge is not a place for kids to run around.