Travel

Airport troubles / admitted something I shouldn’t have. What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2019 5:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 9, 2019
3 posts
3 upvotes

Airport troubles / admitted something I shouldn’t have. What to do?

Hi.
So recently I got back from a trip from Las Vegas coming out of YVR, I went there for a week for EDC. Coming back first of all I missed my flight, Alaska airlines couldn’t get me out of LAS til the next day which ended up in a huge headache, me out an extra almost five hundred and ended up pretty much staying at the airport all night.

Coming back into Canada finally, I was pulled into customs. Right away they start accusing me of being high or having drugs on me even though I wasn’t high and didn’t have drugs on me besides my actual thyroid medication. They tore apart my bag and asked me all the questions. Of course at first I denied ever trying drugs or doing them on vacation. The CBSA officer literally lost it on me, threatened me and told me she “knows I’m a liar.”

So me, over 30 hours of no sleep, hungover form a week of partying in Vegas I was weak and admitted to taking a pill at the music festival to the CBSA officer. I was then detained, strip searched and let go because well, they did not find anything. But I’m supposed to be going back to the US for a road trip in July.

So my question here is, is the CBSA going to let the IS CBP know about my admitting to this, and when my passport is scanned at the US border is this all going to come up and result in me being denied or banned for life? I do not have a criminal record nor have I been arrested. Do I need a pardon, waiver or is there anything I can do?

I’m just worried that the US CBP will find this all out and deny or worse ban me for life. Any advice?

Thank you.
26 replies
Jul 5, 2004
23712 posts
3216 upvotes
CBP won't know about this, nor should you ever tell them that you took any drugs, ever. If you disclose that to them, then you risk being banned.

Never admit you took drugs. Quite frankly it's none of their business as long as you don't have drugs on you and you aren't under the influence.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2059 posts
1181 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
LostInSpace666 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:44 pm
Hi.
So recently I got back from a trip from Las Vegas coming out of YVR, I went there for a week for EDC. Coming back first of all I missed my flight, Alaska airlines couldn’t get me out of LAS til the next day which ended up in a huge headache, me out an extra almost five hundred and ended up pretty much staying at the airport all night.

Coming back into Canada finally, I was pulled into customs. Right away they start accusing me of being high or having drugs on me even though I wasn’t high and didn’t have drugs on me besides my actual thyroid medication. They tore apart my bag and asked me all the questions. Of course at first I denied ever trying drugs or doing them on vacation. The CBSA officer literally lost it on me, threatened me and told me she “knows I’m a liar.”

So me, over 30 hours of no sleep, hungover form a week of partying in Vegas I was weak and admitted to taking a pill at the music festival to the CBSA officer. I was then detained, strip searched and let go because well, they did not find anything. But I’m supposed to be going back to the US for a road trip in July.

So my question here is, is the CBSA going to let the IS CBP know about my admitting to this, and when my passport is scanned at the US border is this all going to come up and result in me being denied or banned for life? I do not have a criminal record nor have I been arrested. Do I need a pardon, waiver or is there anything I can do?

I’m just worried that the US CBP will find this all out and deny or worse ban me for life. Any advice?

Thank you.
OP that’s horrible and you aren’t alone. I saw a segment last night on CBC where a women was stripped searched for no apparent reason: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5161802

My colleague just took her husband to Cancun,Mexico for the weekend (a 72 hour absence) she is 35 believe her husband is nearly 40. Keep in mind my friend (wife) works for an airline as well (and travels 2x a month) and they are DINKS and travel often together for leisure.

Apparently last week they were pulled aside for secondary screening in YYZ. No big deal they only had carry on bags and didn’t have anything to declare. They were question (she described “interrogated”) as to why they went to Mexico and if they had an drugs on them. She said no and even went as far to present paperwork confirming her employer.

Apparently the agent went on (after flipping through her passport with tons of stamps) how they AFFORD to travel - funny part is her husband has a great job and even said to the agent to confirm his job/pay on the ‘Sunshine List’. The agent went as far to swab their carry on bags and say he was testing it for drugs. He walked away and came back and asked them “what THEY thought the results were” and even went as far to imply that the tests showed they were around cocaine. They were obviously shocked and demanded to speak to a supervisor as they disagreed with the results. The agent claimed the supervisor was on lunch and proceeded to look through their luggage and then let them go while lecturing them that “IF they do drugs to let him know as he isn’t there to judge them” (I asked her if they looked through her phone etc and she said no they didn’t even ask).

These are two individuals gainfully employed- no criminal record- born and raised in Canada. Unreal.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2019
3 posts
3 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 5:50 pm
CBP won't know about this, nor should you ever tell them that you took any drugs, ever. If you disclose that to them, then you risk being banned.

Never admit you took drugs. Quite frankly it's none of their business as long as you don't have drugs on you and you aren't under the influence.

Yeah that’s very true. I just I guess my main worry is that the CBSA might have flagged something on my passport so that the next time I go into the US something about the situation will come up. The last thing I want is to be questioned by the CBP and have thyme ask me a question I deny myself to and have them seeing otherwise under my passport documented. I guess that’s what I’m worried about.

I leave July 26th for my road trip so I hope everything goes smoothly..
[OP]
Jun 9, 2019
3 posts
3 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:18 pm
OP that’s horrible and you aren’t alone. I saw a segment last night on CBC where a women was stripped searched for no apparent reason: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5161802

My colleague just took her husband to Cancun,Mexico for the weekend (a 72 hour absence) she is 35 believe her husband is nearly 40. Keep in mind my friend (wife) works for an airline as well (and travels 2x a month) and they are DINKS and travel often together for leisure.

Apparently last week they were pulled aside for secondary screening in YYZ. No big deal they only had carry on bags and didn’t have anything to declare. They were question (she described “interrogated”) as to why they went to Mexico and if they had an drugs on them. She said no and even went as far to present paperwork confirming her employer.

Apparently the agent went on (after flipping through her passport with tons of stamps) how they AFFORD to travel - funny part is her husband has a great job and even said to the agent to confirm his job/pay on the ‘Sunshine List’. The agent went as far to swab their carry on bags and say he was testing it for drugs. He walked away and came back and asked them “what THEY thought the results were” and even went as far to imply that the tests showed they were around cocaine. They were obviously shocked and demanded to speak to a supervisor as they disagreed with the results. The agent claimed the supervisor was on lunch and proceeded to look through their luggage and then let them go while lecturing them that “IF they do drugs to let him know as he isn’t there to judge them” (I asked her if they looked through her phone etc and she said no they didn’t even ask).

These are two individuals gainfully employed- no criminal record- born and raised in Canada. Unreal.
Oh man. I’m really sorry to hear about this. That is just terrible and I’ve heard of other cases of this happening as well. I don’t know why they are so harsh on us coming back into Canada. Or better yet why they want to falsely accuse us of having things we don’t have. It’s a shame and quite disappointing really.. you think they would be more caring and professional at this. But it seems like it’s getitng worse and worse unfortunately .
Sep 28, 2017
488 posts
307 upvotes
i was across the border this weekend and when returning from buffalo was asked in a firm manner if i had marijuana on me or had used it while in the states. gave the usual NO answer to where the border agent gave me this stern long look... i said if you have reason to think i have it on me or in my vehicle or have taken it then pull me into secondary, but don't hassle me if you don't have just cause especially if i'm a citizen of the country i'm returning to.

i never back down to border agents, especially the older ones who have this "how dare you spend our money in the states" attitude. the last few times i've crossed over they have been on this drugs topic... if they can't bag you for smuggling shit, or not claiming then it's now the drug topic to scare you. my guess is if they use the drug thing you will get scared and cop to unclaimed purchases so they can nail you for duty/taxes.

always look up your rights as a citizen of canada and never back down if you have done nothing wrong. stand your ground and let them know you know your rights... sure they will give attitude back but only because they know you are educated on your rights.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Jul 5, 2004
23712 posts
3216 upvotes
LostInSpace666 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 9:26 pm
Yeah that’s very true. I just I guess my main worry is that the CBSA might have flagged something on my passport so that the next time I go into the US something about the situation will come up. The last thing I want is to be questioned by the CBP and have thyme ask me a question I deny myself to and have them seeing otherwise under my passport documented. I guess that’s what I’m worried about.

I leave July 26th for my road trip so I hope everything goes smoothly..
Think about what you're saying. You're worried CBSA is going to report what you said to CBP, so you're considering telling them on your own (which is what a pardon/waiver would do)? There's no system to report conversations between CBSA and CBP. Whatever you said to CBSA is between you and CBSA. CBP won't know about it, unless of course something was found and charges were laid.

Forget it happened and enjoy your trip to the US. Remember, the answer is always no to drug questions.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32842 posts
7082 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 11:49 pm
Think about what you're saying. You're worried CBSA is going to report what you said to CBP, so you're considering telling them on your own (which is what a pardon/waiver would do)? There's no system to report conversations between CBSA and CBP. Whatever you said to CBSA is between you and CBSA. CBP won't know about it, unless of course something was found and charges were laid.

Forget it happened and enjoy your trip to the US. Remember, the answer is always no to drug questions.
Or, unless they put something on the record during the "interrogation"
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4624 posts
1495 upvotes
I never lie to the border agents of any country because I think it can get you into trouble. I am not sure why the border agents are giving people a hard time but if they are cracking down on drugs entering Canada, I think it may be a good thing. I don't like to think of my fellow honest Canadians getting hassled at the border when they have done nothing wrong but perhaps they just have to do this to make sure they stop the inflow of these nasty drugs that are making their way onto our streets.
Dec 20, 2018
933 posts
799 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 12:37 pm
I never lie to the border agents of any country because I think it can get you into trouble. I am not sure why the border agents are giving people a hard time but if they are cracking down on drugs entering Canada, I think it may be a good thing. I don't like to think of my fellow honest Canadians getting hassled at the border when they have done nothing wrong but perhaps they just have to do this to make sure they stop the inflow of these nasty drugs that are making their way onto our streets.
Yup, strip and cavity search for all
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1820 posts
756 upvotes
Singapore
Based on OP, I could see why the Agent had suspicion.

Anyways, don't worry about the US, worry more about coming back into Canada next time. You'll know if you were flagged or not then.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10521 posts
1638 upvotes
Toronto
Probably looked dishovelled and high.

My buddy who bartended in the Carribean for a few months came back on a similar experience. Hungover the night before, looked like a mess. Did secondary, but said the customs guy was cool when he saw the printed pics as the story made sense. This was probably 07 when some ppl still printed pics. Let him go on is way.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6604 posts
3760 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
choclover wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 12:37 pm
I would lie through my teeth and not lose any sleep over it when it comes to the "have you ever used drugs" type of questioning. "No I haven't". Period. None of their f'ing business. I'm not smuggling or carrying anything. If I want to smoke a joint in the privacy of my home I damned well will, and they don't need to know anything about it.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2059 posts
1181 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 10:45 am
I would lie through my teeth and not lose any sleep over it when it comes to the "have you ever used drugs" type of questioning. "No I haven't". Period. None of their f'ing business. I'm not smuggling or carrying anything. If I want to smoke a joint in the privacy of my home I damned well will, and they don't need to know anything about it.
What I don’t understand (from the story I posted that my colleague shared with me) and from the CBC news article:

How does a CBSA agent make accusations like that?
(From my friends case)
- Her employee ID/paperwork verifying her employment with an airline (10 years) easy to verify and would make sense why she travel often and how she “affords” that
- NO criminal record OR previous infractions with the CBSA and multiple entries to Canada (she actually said she has never been taken into secondary EVER).
- Both Canadian citizens with verified employment (as I said husband is on the sunshine list and employed with a gov agency).

After swabbing and looking through their limited luggage which were 2 carry on size bags (and finding nothing) how is that okay???

I don’t know much about drugs OR smuggling but both of these 2 people are smaller (she’s probably 110lbs on a bad day) how much quantity of drugs can one actually hide on their physical self?) I’ve seen in the movies (I know bad example- like in the movie: Blow).
With the attitude that “anyone” can be carrying drugs on their body are we all going to get strip searched?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5663 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 6:18 pm

Your friend's story plus the Sunday school teacher's story are rough and awful. They're certainly not comparable to the OP's story, though. OP was admittedly hungover, returning from a music festival where drug use was rampant and had also taken drugs. It's not a stretch by any means to think OP may have had drugs on them, intentionally or accidentally.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)