• Feb 2nd, 2018 9:35 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Ajax or Whitby

I need some input on what's a better area to live in for a small family with young kids. Ajax or Whitby? Ajax prices are higher, especially for newer homes whereas Whitby seems to be cheaper.
I'm comparing between the following areas.
This one's in Ajax where Sundial has built and is still building homes. New and upcoming area.
https://www.zolo.ca/ajax-real-estate/106-barnham-street

Compare to Whitby
https://www.zolo.ca/whitby-real-estate/41-gateway-court
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
5819 posts
5498 upvotes
Toronto
It's two very different areas, Ajax is much much more diverse.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Diverse in what sense? I'm comparing the Rolling Acres neighbourhood in Whitby to north east area of Ajax. Rolling Acres in Whitby was busier, lots of stores and traffic. NE area of Ajax seems to be more on the quieter side. New school coming to the area as well.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
5819 posts
5498 upvotes
Toronto
mum2two wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 10:49 pm
Diverse in what sense? I'm comparing the Rolling Acres neighbourhood in Whitby to north east area of Ajax. Rolling Acres in Whitby was busier, lots of stores and traffic. NE area of Ajax seems to be more on the quieter side. New school coming to the area as well.
I mean they do call it Whiteby for a reason, it is not that diverse. If you look at realtor you can click the statistics tab and it has a breakdown of age, income and demographics. For North Taunton you will see the top 5 languages are English, French, Chinese, Polish and Spanish. Whereas in the part of Ajax you mentioned the top 5 are English, Tagalog, Tamil, Urdo and Persian.

Of course none of this really matters I just pointed it out because they are very different areas.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4996 posts
2109 upvotes
Depending where you work, you will experience the stalled traffic once you hit pickering/ ajax on 401. It can be quite bad I don't know how people drive that everyday.

Also be sure to check the school ratings, some are well below average.

If you would consider pickering I dont see how the prices are more expensive, I think the schools are better and you dont hit the traffic blockade going into Ajax.

A friend regrets moving out that far now simply because of the traffic.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
52 posts
5 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Pickering is more expensive right now as compared to Ajax. The newer schools in Ajax have very good ratings. Ajax is more diverse but now I am noticing more areas are increasingly becoming multi cultural and definitely more diverse. Whitby houses are cheaper than Ajax but then Whitby is also way further East.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
5819 posts
5498 upvotes
Toronto
mum2two wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 7:49 am
Pickering is more expensive right now as compared to Ajax. The newer schools in Ajax have very good ratings. Ajax is more diverse but now I am noticing more areas are increasingly becoming multi cultural and definitely more diverse. Whitby houses are cheaper than Ajax but then Whitby is also way further East.
I noticed your 2 examples are town houses but in that price range you might also be able to get a detached house in Whitby in a very good area for the same price or less;

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... ling-Acres
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... ling-Acres
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4996 posts
2109 upvotes
mum2two wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 7:49 am
The newer schools dont have a track record, that's the only thing. There all some newer schools that dont have good ratings, and I read the crime reports from Durham Region also show heavier crime reported in those areas as well.

Just something to consider that's all.
Mar 29, 2017
57 posts
7 upvotes
I have lived in both. I moved from Whitby to Ajax. Whitby is not as diverse as you think. North east Ajax is a really nice neighborhood - lots of professionals with young families. It is also much closer to the highway. My commute time in rush hour cut down from 1 hour to 30 mins.
Mar 29, 2017
57 posts
7 upvotes
rjg4235 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 10:56 pm
I mean they do call it Whiteby for a reason, it is not that diverse. If you look at realtor you can click the statistics tab and it has a breakdown of age, income and demographics. For North Taunton you will see the top 5 languages are English, French, Chinese, Polish and Spanish. Whereas in the part of Ajax you mentioned the top 5 are English, Tagalog, Tamil, Urdo and Persian.

Of course none of this really matters I just pointed it out because they are very different areas.
New whitby is much less 'white' than many years ago. I lived in Taunton North, I don't think there was any white family within 5 blocks from me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
5819 posts
5498 upvotes
Toronto
Damiar wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 9:27 am
New whitby is much less 'white' than many years ago. I lived in Taunton North, I don't think there was any white family within 5 blocks from me.
Yes that would make sense to me the new development is much more diverse whereas 100m south you'll have a lot of families that have been there 20 years so it's less diverse.