Travel

Alaska Airline miles useless for Ontario now?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 1:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC

Alaska Airline miles useless for Ontario now?

I have had the Alaska Airlines credit card for years and taken many free flights using my miles. It was great when I lived in Victoria, but even after moving to Ottawa I could always book and travel to the US out of Ottawa for points (it would be on a partner airline). I noticed this past week when I tried to go online and book a rewards flight nothing comes up anymore. I tried different destinations and pretty far into the future. Nothing. Several options always used to come up.

If these are useless to me now, I have close to 200,000 useless milesDisappointed But Relieved Face
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
You can redeem on AA and CX, both of which serve YYZ. AA also serves YUL I believe. Not sure about YOW.

What's the issue? Have you tried different departing airports? From what I can see on the YOW site, AA proper doesn't serve YOW anymore, but their regional partner serves Philadelphia which probably doesn't offer a lot of options. So you're probably best looking at YUL or YYZ as your origin.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Does Alaska Airline not have affiliation with other airlines?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
From YOW, you should be able to connect to PHL (AA) and go from there?

I didn't realize Alaska miles were redeemable one One World airlines (BA, AA, Cathay).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Pete_Coach wrote: Does Alaska Airline not have affiliation with other airlines?
They do have partners such as American Airlines, that is why I have never had difficulties before. Very strange. I have plugged all sorts of destinations in (that I have previously used), and even tried out of Montreal, etc. I always showed lots of reward options before, but now nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
McKinsey wrote: From YOW, you should be able to connect to PHL (AA) and go from there?

I didn't realize Alaska miles were redeemable one One World airlines (BA, AA, Cathay).
I'm just trying to fly to the US, and I've never had this issue before. I've tried all sorts of dates (even as far ahead as next May/June), as well as flying out of Montreal instead. I'm coming up blanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
burnt69 wrote: You can redeem on AA and CX, both of which serve YYZ. AA also serves YUL I believe. Not sure about YOW.

What's the issue? Have you tried different departing airports? From what I can see on the YOW site, AA proper doesn't serve YOW anymore, but their regional partner serves Philadelphia which probably doesn't offer a lot of options. So you're probably best looking at YUL or YYZ as your origin.
I tried Montreal and got nothing too. This is a real piss off. I have had zero issues in the past since moving to Ottawa with flying out of YOW. If I can't use these points anymore then the card is useless to me and I have almost 200,000 points going to waste.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you tried calling them? I get better and more results giving the reward desk a call.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9332 upvotes
where I belong
Yes, AS miles is pretty useless (relatively) for East Coast

for YYZ though, CX to HKG/Asia isn't too bad if one can find space. 50K one-way in BUSINESS class (100K R/T) is cheaper than Aeroplan

or, you can sell AS miles for ~1.4 USD cpm (by booking for others)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Jun 15, 2016
52 posts
62 upvotes
Most of the premium flights on Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines will require some sort of positioning flight, unfortunately. Like jerryhung said, the YYZ-HKG flight in business class is a good deal. If only there were First Class on this route though.

Another good shout is Hainan Airlines. Only 50K one-way in Business Class, new 787 planes, direct flights to Beijing from Toronto.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)