Tags:
None
Aug 12, 2004
386 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary

Alberta Car Insurance Premium Factors

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into getting a new car at the end of the month. People have told me a lot of things about what effects the premiums you pay for insurance. I was hoping someone would know the real details as to what effects the premiums. Things such as:

4 door vs 2 door
Manufacturer & Model
Years with license
Age in general
Sex
Colour of the car

etc. etc...

Is a 4 door cheaper on insurance than a 2 door? Does insurance drop after you turn 25, or was it after driving for 5 years? Is insurance on yellow and red cars more expensive than say gray and white cars?

Stuff like this is what I'm interested in finding out. Thanks!
5 replies
Dec 8, 2004
809 posts
131 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Engine size, location, and how often the car is stolen also factor in, if I'm not mistaken.
Feb 8, 2005
621 posts
Before the reforms, some of those things were a factor.
eg. If you hadn't had at least 1, or as much as 3 yrs of continuous coverage in the past, they'ld ask for extortionous rates, or even refuse coverage.

It isn't as bad now, but they still don't compare to the prices and coverage you might get with government run auto insurance. And that is comparing rural AB to urban MB.

The reforms supposedly will remedy the situation in the second post in the next couple of years.

If you want to know specifics to your situation, call around and ask for some quotes.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
If you just receive basic insurance (PLPD), none of those factors will make a large difference.

If you go with collision, then those along with other factors come into play.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1391 posts
143 upvotes
Edmonton
StarvinStudent wrote: Age in general
Sex
How would you actually be able to change the above 2 things so that it does affect your insurance rate? :lol:

The PLPD portion is determine by this method.
http://www.autoinsurance.gov.ab.ca/overview.html

But you should know that insurance companies have different Entry-level premiums. They just cann't go over the Maximum amount.

Best to shop around.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)