• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2018 10:42 am
[OP]
Oct 13, 2016
27 posts
38 upvotes

Alberta Energy Plans

Just wondering what people are doing for their Energy plans (electricity and natural gas).
Fixed or variable?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2015
1037 posts
454 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
dealrfrd wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 12:36 pm
Just wondering what people are doing for their Energy plans (electricity and natural gas).
Fixed or variable?
I've done a fair amount of research and this is the plan that I've come up with:

Water - Epcor. Fixed
Electricity - Direct Energy - Fixed
Heat / Natural Gas - Direct Energy Regular Services - Variable Rate

This results in 3 bills, but they're by far the cheapest way to ensure that you're getting a reliable service at the best price. Both Direct Energy and Direct Energy Regulated Service allow you to pay via credit card. Epcor is via cheque / direct debit.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2016
27 posts
38 upvotes
I just went with Fixed Electricity and Variable Gas.
Both with Atco, since I was already with them.
Good to see you went the same route as me.
I just checked and it looks like Atco has a better 3 year Electricity fixed rate.
Thanks for the info.
Jan 23, 2017
990 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
Epcor and Enmax are the only companies with customer service in Alberta (Edmonton and Calgary), if that's something that matters to you. I refuse to do business with outsourced customer service where possible.

Direct energy is a horrible group of companies.. can't imagine dealing with them voluntarily.
Jan 23, 2017
990 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
TrevorK wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 10:36 pm
I'm not sure it's worth doing fixed power contracts now that the ndp has created a subsidy to cover the price over 6.8 cents:
https://www.alberta.ca/electricity-pric ... ction.aspx

It looks like the cheapest contract options are around 5.79 cents in Edmonton:
https://ucahelps.alberta.ca/cost-compar ... lGasUsage=
That cap may only be good for another 9 months with a spring election coming up. It's also funded by the carbon tax, without the cap regulated rates have been really high..9 cents and up.

Epcor and Enmax are the only companies I'd do business with. Especially living in Edmonton or Calgary.
Apr 7, 2007
613 posts
138 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I go Easy Max (Enmax) variable gas year round and switch in and out of fixed electricity. In December I'll lock in then in the spring go back to variable.
Once a year I also call in to Easy Max and tell them I'm thinking of switching to ATCO or Direct Energy (because they always have a special) and I usually get $100-$200 in credits.
Easy Max also accepts credit card.