Automotive

Alberta expired registration while out of province.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 7:36 pm
[OP]
Oct 10, 2015
3 posts
Red Deer, AB

Alberta expired registration while out of province.

Woops! I forgot about my Alberta vehicle registration that expired last month. Big problem is I am currently in B.C. Anyone know of any options I could take besides risking being pulled over on the drive home? ICBC said there was nothing they could do.
9 replies
Sep 15, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
Altanore wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:58 am
Woops! I forgot about my Alberta vehicle registration that expired last month. Big problem is I am currently in B.C. Anyone know of any options I could take besides risking being pulled over on the drive home? ICBC said there was nothing they could do.
You can't renew online? Mine takes about 3 minutes to do in Sask...
Dec 14, 2007
450 posts
43 upvotes
oilerfan89 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:06 am
You can't renew online? Mine takes about 3 minutes to do in Sask...
Yes. He can. I did it online last year (alberta).
Sep 15, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
kkkat wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:31 am
Yes. He can. I did it online last year (alberta).
Kinda figured Alberta would be up to speed on that kinda stuff...
Jan 14, 2007
372 posts
43 upvotes
GTA North
Considering the website states under apply online:
"If you are less than 10 business days away from your expiry date on your registration, please renew your registration in person."
the OP is probably SOL. Also if they have tickets O/S need to pay up, wait a few days and then apply.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2015
3 posts
Red Deer, AB
Yeah I am SOL. Especially when I have to drive home this weekend. RCMP suggested to just drive anyway and register asap when you get to Alberta. Most officers would be understanding.
Sep 15, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
IMHIP2 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 2:04 pm
Considering the website states under apply online:
"If you are less than 10 business days away from your expiry date on your registration, please renew your registration in person."
the OP is probably SOL. Also if they have tickets O/S need to pay up, wait a few days and then apply.
I have no idea why that even matters, I renew my registration for my winter car every fall online from a different city and drive it home minutes later. If it was a different province it wouldn't matter either, they don't even give paper registrations anymore. Alberta seems behind the times.
Dec 14, 2007
450 posts
43 upvotes
They ask you to apply in person because it takes time to mail the registration and it can take up to 10 days. I don't think you have to apply in person per se. It might come to your mail box after the expiry date. IMO
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4450 posts
2089 upvotes
Edmonton
kkkat wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:16 pm
They ask you to apply in person because it takes time to mail the registration and it can take up to 10 days. I don't think you have to apply in person per se. It might come to your mail box after the expiry date. IMO
This. They're doing it to cover their butts when you don't get your registration back in time, and get a ticket.

C
Sep 15, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
all computerized i haven't had to go get one in years. I print the online one in case.