None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1572 posts
96 upvotes
New Westminster, BC

Alberta Imposes Carbon Tax

The story is still developing and the press conference is happening right now.

Details so far:

$20/tonne in 2017 and $30/tonne in 2018.
Phasing out coal power electricity generation (coal power plants).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3330153
34 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 18, 2012
1726 posts
43 upvotes
Yup, Gelato69 must be giddy with joy. Take THAT capitalists!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1572 posts
96 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Future303 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 4:33 pm
Yup, Gelato69 must be giddy with joy. Take THAT capitalists!!!
Not so. I have no idea where that carbon tax money is going so it's very unlikely that it will benefit me.
BC already has a carbon tax. I did some research about BC's carbon tax. It's supposed to be revenue neutral but here's the sinister capitalist evil behind it. 2/3 of the carbon tax revenue is collected from consumers mostly at the gas pump and 1/3 is collected from business. When the revenue is paid out to make it "neutral", only 1/3 goes to consumers and 2/3 goes to business. It's a subsidy for the capitalists. By law, the stats on the BC carbon tax are open to the public.
Penalty Box
Jun 18, 2012
1726 posts
43 upvotes
gelato69 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 4:36 pm
........bunch of shyte that sounds counterGelato69..........
Dude, you WANTED leftist governments in power, this is what they do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1572 posts
96 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Future303 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 4:39 pm
Dude, you WANTED leftist governments in power, this is what they do.
You have no idea what being anti-capitalists means. How is it anti-capitalist to give more money to capitalists?
Penalty Box
Jun 18, 2012
1726 posts
43 upvotes
gelato69 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 4:40 pm
You have no idea what being anti-capitalists means. How is it anti-capitalist to give more money to capitalists?
You. Wanted. Cons. Out.

You. Wanted. ABC.

Enjoy.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4334 posts
298 upvotes
gelato69 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 4:36 pm
Not so. I have no idea where that carbon tax money is going so it's very unlikely that it will benefit me.
BC already has a carbon tax. I did some research about BC's carbon tax. It's supposed to be revenue neutral but here's the sinister capitalist evil behind it. 2/3 of the carbon tax revenue is collected from consumers mostly at the gas pump and 1/3 is collected from business. When the revenue is paid out to make it "neutral", only 1/3 goes to consumers and 2/3 goes to business. It's a subsidy for the capitalists. By law, the stats on the BC carbon tax are open to the public.
You know business has no money they get it from consumers, impose a tax consumers pay or do you think the tooth fairy leaves the money for them
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12419 posts
2710 upvotes
If done properly this is a good idea, and on top of it we should cut the subsidies we give to fossil fuel and transfer them to renewables. The devil is in the details.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20510 posts
1882 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 8:17 pm
If done properly this is a good idea, and on top of it we should cut the subsidies we give to fossil fuel and transfer them to renewables. The devil is in the details.
Fossiel fuels aren't going anywhere for a very very long time
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4334 posts
298 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 8:17 pm
Renewables are massively subsidized already

Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12419 posts
2710 upvotes
They receive a fraction of the subsidies fossil fuels get and they are temporary in most cases, fossil fuels are permanent subsidies.
If we were to transfer all fossil fuel subsidies to renewables they would come down in cost much more quickly and it would not cost us any more money then we pay today since they would only be shifted from point A to point B.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4334 posts
298 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 9:18 pm
They receive a fraction of the subsidies fossil fuels get and they are temporary in most cases, fossil fuels are permanent subsidies.
If we were to transfer all fossil fuel subsidies to renewables they would come down in cost much more quickly and it would not cost us any more money then we pay today since they would only be shifted from point A to point B.

I'm no expert but what type of subsidies are we talking about ? Won't those on fossil fuels be higher since they are a much bigger portion of the economy ?

Wind and Solar are very heavily subsidized in Ontario considering how little they contribute to electricity generation

× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel