Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12947 posts
2996 upvotes
rb wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 1:23 pm
I'm no expert but what type of subsidies are we talking about ? Won't those on fossil fuels be higher since they are a much bigger portion of the economy ?

Wind and Solar are very heavily subsidized in Ontario considering how little they contribute to electricity generation
Fossil fuel subsidies were meant to help a fledgling technology that was not profitable, but their political buying buyer means they have been put on the books permanently. As for the ontario feed in tariff, it was poorly executed, but i would be interested in seeing the cost comparisons between it and the wildly over budget nuclear plants, you could probably feed most of Canada on how much they went over budget. Two wrongs don't make a right
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13763 posts
4332 upvotes
How can you trust something like this when the premier states that "Eventually, said Notley, the carbon taxes could be dedicated toward paying down public debt".
(http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/alberta- ... -1.2669291)

Rather than just increasing taxes, the ndp are trying to hide it within a "carbon tax" with plans to use the money for non-related items (such as debt). I am sure they will attempt to buy the votes by also subsidizing a large percentage of people in the province to ensure a strong voter base, leaving the carbon tax to be paid primarily by companies and higher income earnings.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12947 posts
2996 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 1:44 pm
How can you trust something like this when the premier states that "Eventually, said Notley, the carbon taxes could be dedicated toward paying down public debt".
(http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/alberta- ... -1.2669291)

Rather than just increasing taxes, the ndp are trying to hide it within a "carbon tax" with plans to use the money for non-related items (such as debt). I am sure they will attempt to buy the votes by also subsidizing a large percentage of people in the province to ensure a strong voter base, leaving the carbon tax to be paid primarily by companies and higher income earnings.
Using it to repay debt is not a good idea, but using it to subsidize renewable energy is smart. Next step transfer fossil fuel subsidies to renewables. If they are smart (politicians smart, as if) they would only use it to subsidize renewables until carbon emissions become negative (the technology is in its infancy, but could use research dollars, there are working prototypes today). Once we are off fossil fuels carbon tax revenue would become zero because no one would be paying it, hence it can't be used to reduce debt.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4541 posts
342 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 1:31 pm
Fossil fuel subsidies were meant to help a fledgling technology that was not profitable, but their political buying buyer means they have been put on the books permanently. As for the ontario feed in tariff, it was poorly executed, but i would be interested in seeing the cost comparisons between it and the wildly over budget nuclear plants, you could probably feed most of Canada on how much they went over budget. Two wrongs don't make a right
Nuclear is not a fossil fuel?
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12947 posts
2996 upvotes
rb wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 4:48 pm
Nuclear is not a fossil fuel?
Its not a fossil fuel, but its incredibly pricey
Interestingly it has a surprising carbon impact, extraction (mining), refining and perpetual maintenance use a lot of fossil fuels.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4541 posts
342 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 4:52 pm
Its not a fossil fuel, but its incredibly pricey
Interestingly it has a surprising carbon impact, extraction (mining), refining and perpetual maintenance use a lot of fossil fuels.
I'm sure there's a cost to windmills and solar both initially in production, transportation and ongoing maintenance
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12947 posts
2996 upvotes
rb wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 5:02 pm
I'm sure there's a cost to windmills and solar both initially in production, transportation and ongoing maintenance
Of course there is otherwise we would already be saturated with them
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1236 posts
81 upvotes
why is this under "home garden" ? it should be under finance/economy ....
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13763 posts
4332 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 2:08 pm
Using it to repay debt is not a good idea, but using it to subsidize renewable energy is smart. Next step transfer fossil fuel subsidies to renewables. If they are smart (politicians smart, as if) they would only use it to subsidize renewables until carbon emissions become negative (the technology is in its infancy, but could use research dollars, there are working prototypes today). Once we are off fossil fuels carbon tax revenue would become zero because no one would be paying it, hence it can't be used to reduce debt.
Unfortunately if they have already started this off by saying they will look at using it to repay debt, so it's quite clear what the real intention of this is. They are going to subsidize the tax paid by lower income earners and use it to pay off debt towards the next election to gain voters.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12947 posts
2996 upvotes
IrwinW wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 12:32 pm
Alberta carbon tax calculator: How much will you pay — or get back?

This tool will help you estimate how Alberta's new carbon tax will impact you.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/m ... -1.3900339
According to that calculator i will pay $40.72 cents in carbon tax per year if i lived in Alberta, i'm ruined Disappointed But Relieved Face
Oct 14, 2015
185 posts
21 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 1:25 pm
According to that calculator i will pay $40.72 cents in carbon tax per year if i lived in Alberta, i'm ruined Disappointed But Relieved Face
Lucky you!
I will pay at least $350 per year.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12947 posts
2996 upvotes
IrwinW wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 1:37 pm
Lucky you!
I will pay at least $350 per year.
You must have a lot of income or use a lot of carbon (or both)
Keep in mind the natural gas is not in m3, its in GJ, multiply m3 by 0.038 (i had to take yearly, divide by 12 and multiply by 0.038)
Oct 14, 2015
185 posts
21 upvotes
I notice that the calculator doesn't account for hydro/electricity usage.
It's my understanding that there will be an extra fee on that too.
Will see when next month's hydro bill comes out.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13763 posts
4332 upvotes
IrwinW wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 12:32 pm
Alberta carbon tax calculator: How much will you pay — or get back?

This tool will help you estimate how Alberta's new carbon tax will impact you.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/m ... -1.3900339
Except the tool ignores that the cost of all goods and services will be rising to pay for the carbon tax, and instead only focuses on groceries.

I am quite confident in saying that no one will know the true cost until after the fact - some companies will take this as an opportunity to increase profits by raising prices (above and beyond their cost increase) while blaming the carbon tax. The same thing will happen when Alberta raises their minimum wage to $15/hr - companies will sneak in additional price increases.