• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2017 4:42 am
Tags:
None
Oct 14, 2015
154 posts
12 upvotes
^^^ Very true, Trevor.

Heard three random estimates on the radio today, of increased costs in Alberta.
1/ sheet metal will cost more than 10% more
2/ cost of a septic tank will be 10% more
3/ manufacturing concrete powder 20% to 30% more (lots of energy req'd to make it)

So it's quite clear that any kind of construction using materials made in AB will be more expensive.

And then there's this:
On Monday, ... Albertans learned that Koch Oil Sands had recently informed the Alberta Energy Regulator it was indefinitely postponing it’s $800-million Muskwa project in northeastern Alberta and with it about 300 jobs.

Koch’s vice-president Byron Lutes said “regulatory uncertainty around the Climate Leadership Program … from carbon tax to the emissions cap” killed the project. Lutes explained there was just no way in the short- or mid-term for Koch to make money in the oilsands thanks to NDP taxes and legislation.

source: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/12/19/r ... nsequences
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1269 posts
209 upvotes
Windsor
IrwinW wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 12:32 pm
Alberta carbon tax calculator: How much will you pay — or get back?

This tool will help you estimate how Alberta's new carbon tax will impact you.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/m ... -1.3900339
$130 in 2017, then $200 in 2018 ... not too bad. I even doubled my fuel and gas consumption, as it's colder in Alberta than where I live, and I doubt i'd be able to be as thrifty with fuel if I lived out that way. Should account for the "ancillary" cost increases in other services. ~$10-$20/mo "IF" they use the cash to actually make a positive impact? I'd be up for that.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1233 posts
116 upvotes
Red Deer
This whole A carbon tax is just another cash grab for the Province. Not sure if you people already notice that the air is already a lot cleaner.

Got my Natural gas bill today, on the bill there is a new line called "Tax levi " and for the first 3 days of January it was $3.87 , so say over 30 days that is going to cost us another $39.00 a month . I don't want to know what it is going to cost us to heat our homes in 3-4 years.

This is going the same way as the Ontario hydro, where people can't turn on their lights anymore, and we can't heat our homes anymore.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
25756 posts
1396 upvotes
Winnipeg
rotjong wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 8:56 pm
This whole A carbon tax is just another cash grab for the Province. Not sure if you people already notice that the air is already a lot cleaner.

Got my Natural gas bill today, on the bill there is a new line called "Tax levi " and for the first 3 days of January it was $3.87 , so say over 30 days that is going to cost us another $39.00 a month . I don't want to know what it is going to cost us to heat our homes in 3-4 years.

This is going the same way as the Ontario hydro, where people can't turn on their lights anymore, and we can't heat our homes anymore.
a lot gas friendly where i'm at, didn't see a single EV on the road and gas is merely 90 cents
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel