• Jan 12th, 2019 2:59 am
[OP]
Feb 6, 2015
187 posts
6 upvotes
Markham, ON

Alberta to Ontario

Hello Guys and Gals,

I recently found a car in Alberta that I want from a private seller and I am actually prepared to make the long trip (will probably take a flight) there to see the car. The only problem is that I’m in Ontario and I was wondering what the process is to transfer ownership of the car is? I was discussing with the guy and he said they don’t hold a green slip ownership like we do here in Ontario and that he only needs to sign me a bill of sale and I give him the money and that’s about it. Can anyone somehow validate this claim?

I plan to ship the car over to Ontario so I wanted to know how I can go about doing this.

TL: DR

1. How do I transfer ownership with the owner
2. How do I go about shipping the car from there to Ontario?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4486 posts
533 upvotes
Calgary
I live in Alberta but don't know what your green slip is. We just sign over the registration (on the back)

For shipping I have used Hansens
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2322 posts
297 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
infinityZ wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:31 pm
Hello Guys and Gals,

I recently found a car in Alberta that I want from a private seller and I am actually prepared to make the long trip (will probably take a flight) there to see the car. The only problem is that I’m in Ontario and I was wondering what the process is to transfer ownership of the car is? I was discussing with the guy and he said they don’t hold a green slip ownership like we do here in Ontario and that he only needs to sign me a bill of sale and I give him the money and that’s about it. Can anyone somehow validate this claim?

I plan to ship the car over to Ontario so I wanted to know how I can go about doing this.

TL: DR

1. How do I transfer ownership with the owner
2. How do I go about shipping the car from there to Ontario?

I've purchased cars from two different provinces (Quebec and Nova Scotia) and the process is essentially the same as buying a car from Ontario. Each province will have a different "ownership" document. Once you agree to purchase the car, you need the seller to sign this over. You will also need a bill of sale. The nice part about getting a car from a different province is that service Ontario will take the amount on the bill of sale for taxes. When buying a car within Ontario, the value listed on bill of sale or wholesale value (whichever is higher) will be taken for taxes.

Once you have the bill of sale and ownership, you will need insurance before heading over to service ontario to register the car if you want plates. If you only want to transfer the car in your name, insurance will not be required. At service ontario you will present the ownership, bill of sale, and insurance. Once you pay the taxes, the car should be transferred over to you at this point. Also note that if you are getting plates, an ontario safety is required to get the yearly sticker, otherwise you will get a temp which is valid for 10 days.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2154 posts
662 upvotes
Calgary
Can confirm no green slip in Alberta. We also don't pay taxes on used private sales if that helps you any.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2431 posts
1259 upvotes
GTA
Alberta has the best shade of beige on the Corolla.