Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Microsoft Store

Alcatel Idol 4S With Windows 10 VR $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2018 2:42 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2775 posts
2127 upvotes

[Microsoft Store] Alcatel Idol 4S With Windows 10 VR $199.99

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/d ... chspecstab
It is a windows phone, may not be that good in performance.

Review from PC Mag
https://www.pcmag.com/review/349379/alc ... dows-10-vr

PROS
Fast performance. Attractive design. Crisp AMOLED display. Dual front and back speakers. Fingerprint sensor, dual-band Wi-Fi, and expandable storage. Comes with VR headset. Supports Windows Continuum.

CONS
Windows Mobile still lacks many major apps. Just-average network performance.

BOTTOM LINE
The Alcatel Idol 4S is a sleek Windows phone packed with powerful hardware, productivity features, and virtual reality capabilities. It's a great choice for T-Mobile users who can overlook the relatively limited app selectio
Last edited by raccoon on Dec 15th, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
Stats on this phone look impressive. To bad we can't reformat the software to Android.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2775 posts
2127 upvotes
kenvin100 wrote: Stats on this phone look impressive. To bad we can't reformat the software to Android.
agreed, maybe can use it as a Ipod.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
the spec is bad for the wireless department. It only covers 3 LTE band and not even the full UMTS band which means it is kind of useless outside NA. I wanted to buy it but gave up after confirming the band.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6146 posts
3617 upvotes
Toronto
chimp wrote: the spec is bad for the wireless department. It only covers 3 LTE band and not even the full UMTS band which means it is kind of useless outside NA. I wanted to buy it but gave up after confirming the band.
For those wondering and not wanting to click through the specs:

GSM network: 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 2/4/5, LTE2/4/12
VoLTE
VoWifi
Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac(2.4GHz & 5GHz)
Bluetooth: 4.1

And It's $420 off , the VR goggles looked interesting.
Feb 18, 2014
688 posts
1410 upvotes
raccoon wrote: agreed, maybe can use it as a Ipod.
Finally.... Something to replace my Zune.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Only cool thing about this phone is using it as a mini-PC lol...

Nov 21, 2015
19 posts
5 upvotes
London, ON
I have one, when it worked it was good. But the speaker blew out after an update or something after only 2 months and I've been going through hell trying to get it repaired under warranty. Over 30 days, Microsoft Store won't touch it. Alcatel kept trying to have me send it to Texas, finally they told me to send to to SBE Canada to repair, but SBE sent it back saying it was a T-Mobile phone and they don't repair those. Now I'm back at the start with a phone that sounds like a kazoo.

When it worked, it was a good phone, and the VR headset is kind of neat but I assume many Android headsets are better. Also Microsoft has pretty much abandoned Windows 10 mobile, so if something's not working quite right, it's not likely MS will update it to fix.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this phone to anybody. Even if you're a big Windows mobile fan, if you're in Canada, there's a good chance the speaker may blow out and warranty repair is proving very difficult.
Sep 13, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
MrCanzine wrote: I have one, when it worked it was good. But the speaker blew out after an update or something after only 2 months and I've been going through hell trying to get it repaired under warranty. Over 30 days, Microsoft Store won't touch it. Alcatel kept trying to have me send it to Texas, finally they told me to send to to SBE Canada to repair, but SBE sent it back saying it was a T-Mobile phone and they don't repair those. Now I'm back at the start with a phone that sounds like a kazoo.

When it worked, it was a good phone, and the VR headset is kind of neat but I assume many Android headsets are better. Also Microsoft has pretty much abandoned Windows 10 mobile, so if something's not working quite right, it's not likely MS will update it to fix.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this phone to anybody. Even if you're a big Windows mobile fan, if you're in Canada, there's a good chance the speaker may blow out and warranty repair is proving very difficult.

Alcatel
non exisistent customer service I have been trying to get a new battery since March 2017 ( nothing yet) they are in my opinion liars and will never buy anything from this beknighted company
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2286 posts
1043 upvotes
BC
Johnbarrons777 wrote: Alcatel
non exisistent customer service I have been trying to get a new battery since March 2017 ( nothing yet) they are in my opinion liars and will never buy anything from this beknighted company
I got a DTek60 and it died 21 days in on a business trip with purple screen of death. I submitted an RMA and requested a cross ship with my credit card so the replacement would be at my home when I got back from the trip and before going on another. They didn't do squat. I kept pestering and pestering and eventually I had to send in mine back first to get it replaced. The agent like 6 weeks later said the first agent screwed up and it should have been cross shipped without hassle. My best guess, is that they didn't have stock to cross ship, but it was a really frustrating experience that spelled the end for any future BlackBerry Alcatel phone. I ended up buying a Dtek50 from Staples on sale to hold me over during the Dtek60 replacement and its been in my car as my gas mileage recorder and map navigator. Right now, about 11 months in on the replacement and 13 months after purchase, my battery seems to have less than 50% capacity. I used to go 1.5 days of regular use, and in the last week, its been losing 50-100% in under 8 hours.

Edit: One of the hassles was that when calling in for Support, you'd be following the phone prompting and the guy would be like, "I can't help you, that is a different department". And the loop went around and around. The support system was much newer than it is now, but it was just a clusterfudge. Being able to go into a store and have a phone swapped is priceless after this.
Lucky Mobile: $20/3GB Unlimited Canada wide calling. DMINR
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2016
1199 posts
1576 upvotes
canada
Tech specs

Operating systemWindows 10ProcessorSnapdragon 820 MSM8996 Quad Core CPUDisplay

5.5" Full HD (1920x1080) AMOLED

Dragontrail glass

Capacitive Touch Technology

10 touch points

Memory[2]

Mass memory: 64GB

RAM: 4GB

Maximum memory card size: up to 128GB

Expandable memory card type: microSD

Battery[3]

3000mAh

Max standby time: Up to 420 hours

Max talk time: 20 hours

Networks[1]GSM network: 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 2/4/5, LTE2/4/12Main camera

21MP with auto focus

Dual Tone flash

Video: 720p @ 120fps

Front-facing camera

8MP

Flashlight flash

Video: 1080p @ 30fps
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
Going to have to pass on Windows 10

But thank you for effort
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
EasyCompany251 wrote: Going to have to pass on Windows 10

But thank you for effort
Also this deal was said multiple times. Good phone though, people try to make it the android version because it has nearly identical hardware as the android variant. I think its possible just haven't found the guide.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
1291 posts
423 upvotes
Calgary
No more windows phone development I guess. So not much useful even good hardware
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2013
1332 posts
663 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Windows phone is dead.
Don’t waste your time and money on that.

My wife has one, could not even receive emails properly ...
Need to be reboot every day...