[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
12957 posts
3089 upvotes
London
SynGamer wrote:
May 24th, 2019 9:23 pm
Buy this, or wait for the Mi 10...I'm not out of my current Telus contract until October.
The MI 10 is going to be a solid 9 months away

The Mi 9t/Mi 9 Pro however will be coming soon and may be worth waiting for depending on the price
May 23, 2019
23 posts
5 upvotes
Anyone have any experience ordering from AliExpress? I heard there might be customs fees/import taxes when you buy from there? If so, how much do they charge?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
12957 posts
3089 upvotes
London
Updated main post with a link to 128gb global version for less money than the global rom that was previously there
Nov 13, 2014
200 posts
100 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Viper98 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 9:50 pm
Updated main post with a link to 128gb global version for less money than the global rom that was previously there
Do you know the difference between the global Rom and global version?

Edit: I see the Global Rom has more bands.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2005
1087 posts
342 upvotes
theXshape wrote:
May 24th, 2019 10:46 pm
Do you know the difference between the global Rom and global version?

Edit: I see the Global Rom has more bands.
Global ROM means Chinese version of the phone that is opened by the seller and flashed with the Global ROM prior to shipping. Will usually have different bands than the global version as a result.

Global version means you get a sealed box with the ROM from the factory and global version of the phone.
Dec 28, 2004
280 posts
53 upvotes
Sorry to go off topic a bit but my honor 8 phone battery is terrible and I'm looking to replace it with a phone that has a screen size of 5 inches max and has the finger print to unlock and quick charge would be nice too. Can anyone recommend a Xiaomi phone with those specs?
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2005
1087 posts
342 upvotes
Slayguy wrote:
May 25th, 2019 10:04 am
Sorry to go off topic a bit but my honor 8 phone battery is terrible and I'm looking to replace it with a phone that has a screen size of 5 inches max and has the finger print to unlock and quick charge would be nice too. Can anyone recommend a Xiaomi phone with those specs?
Mi 9 SE is essentially the same physical size as the Honor 8, very similar at least and has a 5.97" display for $284 USD.

Link:
Global Version Xiaomi Mi 9 SE Mi9 SE 6GB 64GB Snapdragon 712 5.97" AMOLED FHD Screen Smartphone 48MP Triple Camera https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/beRlz9Bw
May 4, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is a really good deal considering it is even cheaper than getting a Mi9 in China.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
765 upvotes
Moncton
tnetisg wrote:
May 24th, 2019 9:08 pm
The entire post had a lot of truth to it that I don't think everyone can see. This first part is rather extreme though and it varies from individual to individual buying the phone. More expensive phones usually have a more premium look and feel to them that sets them apart and some are willing to pay for this. Some consumer goods exist just as a way for people to show off how much they spent, like airpods.

Many times companies produce a very expensive model of something that they know won't sell much, just to establish a pricing scale in people's heads, look this one up. Samsung knows the Galaxy fold won't sell much, and it makes a $1000 phone look cheap in comparison. It's meant to trick the customer since humans don't think logically most of the time, they just compare one product against another. Someone like myself is very sensitive to every little stutter and framerate drop, I need a good soc and screen (doesnt have to be super high res, just very responsive) to be happy.

This is where i think you make a great point. Processors on midrange phones are only slightly behind premium phones for most normal tasks. Cameras are nearly the same. Battery life is usually more in midrange phones. Cost is way less. Display is nearly the same for most normal use, and overall you can do anything on a basic phone than you can on a premium one

Again, I think this is a way for some people to show their supposed wealth. Since they choose a better product, the customer also believes it somehow makes them better or smarter for choosing it, just search this belief up.

A phone is very convenient to carry around, and I doubt anyone wants to pull out a big camera in social situations. Society has turned us into believing this is not typical to carry a large stand alone camera most of the time.

This is a very true statement. However, most people are never logical and most purchasing decisions are made by how you feel. Just take a look at how much styling plays into selling cars and how most people justify purchasing decisions by how they feel about something.
Theres a good chance others dont use phones the same way you do, i certainly notice performance differences myself... especially once a phone starts aging and apps and websites get heavier. Many people who say things like you just did arent thinking very far ahead, others just dont care as long as they can make calls and send text messages. I think things like browsing the web, taking pictures, using apps, and even playing games falls into normal use dont you? I cant even understand your thinking, unless you mean "Im a light user and dont care".
Dec 9, 2014
160 posts
73 upvotes
GTA
seshwan wrote:
May 25th, 2019 10:53 am
Mi 9 SE is essentially the same physical size as the Honor 8, very similar at least and has a 5.97" display for $284 USD.

Link:
Global Version Xiaomi Mi 9 SE Mi9 SE 6GB 64GB Snapdragon 712 5.97" AMOLED FHD Screen Smartphone 48MP Triple Camera https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/beRlz9Bw
How is the camera on the phone? What about the battery? How much sot do you get on it? Is the phone relatively fast? I'm thinking of getting this phone. Thanks
Jun 13, 2012
98 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
KnobHillFarms wrote:
May 25th, 2019 2:10 pm
How is the camera on the phone? What about the battery? How much sot do you get on it? Is the phone relatively fast? I'm thinking of getting this phone. Thanks
Lol instead of asking. Just look at some reviews?
Mar 20, 2016
533 posts
337 upvotes
This will be Xiaomi's last flagship at this low price. Buy it when you can. Stock is limited even in mainland China
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2868 posts
823 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote:
May 25th, 2019 1:51 pm

Theres a good chance others dont use phones the same way you do, i certainly notice performance differences myself... especially once a phone starts aging and apps and websites get heavier. Many people who say things like you just did arent thinking very far ahead, others just dont care as long as they can make calls and send text messages. I think things like browsing the web, taking pictures, using apps, and even playing games falls into normal use dont you? I cant even understand your thinking, unless you mean "Im a light user and dont care".
I'm an Android enthusiast. I tinker, I play with custom ROMs all the time and I'm highly technical. When most people talk about performance degradation from "aging", they've yet again convinced themselves that something new will be noticibly better when in fact they simply don't understand how Android works. All Android phones will get bogged down over time. Especially if you're not using something close to stock Android. Any budget phone from the last few years will run just about any app just as well as any "flagship" phone unless you've been running it for ages without a clean reset. As I said, ironically, it's often people who aren't technical/knowledgable about Android who think expensive phones are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

This guy nails it:

Dec 3, 2007
265 posts
200 upvotes
txenglan wrote:
May 25th, 2019 2:42 pm
I'm an Android enthusiast. I tinker, I play with custom ROMs all the time and I'm highly technical. When most people talk about performance degradation from "aging", they've yet again convinced themselves that something new will be noticibly better when in fact they simply don't understand how Android works. All Android phones will get bogged down over time. Especially if you're not using something close to stock Android. Any budget phone from the last few years will run just about any app just as well as any "flagship" phone unless you've been running it for ages without a clean reset. As I said, ironically, it's often people who aren't technical/knowledgable about Android who think expensive phones are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

This guy nails it:

Couldn't agree more. Have had a OP5T, and with a kernel update now and again and the odd firmware update (or depending on phone, custom ROM update), aging or apps/websites getting slower is certainly never an issue. I consider myself a heavy user and have learnt how to optimize my phone. Only reason I upgraded my op3t was because I wanted a better screen, but software and internal hardware were never bottlenecks.